Sign in to follow this  
jerrell

trip to Tennessee

jerrell

:thumbs: well i made the trip to chattanooga Tn this week end to pick up the 20 hp Onan engine, got a good deal on it and the man wouldn't take it off the tractor until i heard it run, it sounds great and no smoke, also got the complet wireing system, that thing has a fantastic electronic control system, lights for everthing, low oil, hi temp, electric clutch, electric lift, charging, the motor also has a front pully for something :banghead: i may hook up a small hydro pump

took the family and went to the aquarum up in Tn and it was great.

the man i bought it from, not a member of RS, but he had 3 wheel horses sitting out in the woods behind his house, said he was going to part them out over ebay, :omg: if he does , someone will get some bargains, he is very reasonable,

:lol: i do have to comment on the traffic, 4 hi school cheerleaders was killed on the same hwy.I-24 i was on, 35 miles from chattanooga and it took 2 hr to travel 35 miles, three lanes, being from the country i don't see traffic like that very often. BUT gas was 2.29 a gal. so the trip was enjoyable. except for the wreck ,,

very pretty place to visit

going to put the onan on the roof 60 i just bought , that ought to make me a buggy i can scoot around on.. :lol:

left here it was a sunny 75 degrees, got back to Ar and it's 35 degrees, uncommon for this time of year, I think this year we are going to have a hard winter :USA:

(i'm gonna sit in the house and play on the PC until it warms up some)

Nick

Nice find on the Onan, it should make the roof move. :USA: If you add hydraulics whats the plan? Maybe a Roof 60 with a loader or backhoe? :banghead:

Never made it down to Chattanooga yet. Had the aquarium and rock city on the list for a trip someday. Now if you want to see traffic in TN run on over to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/severville. Ive been in trafffic over 2 hours to drive less than 10 miles. But it is real nice country to drive around when you get out of town and in town there is the Ripleys Aquarium of the Smokies.

jerrell

Yeah i'm proud of the find, but it is still in the back of my car, the weather turned cold :banghead: and :USA: thought i would make a boon pole with a lectric winch and go pull all those deeres around abit.

I live in very VERY flat country, and it was fun being in the mountains , looking out over country side and the valleys. it was a sight to see. my son got a kick out of his mom going down the mountains, i have a hole in the passenger's side floorboard because she kept stomping the brakes on. :omg: those are some slopes to come down, not hard going up, but another thing coming down..haha, :thumbs:

KyBlue

she doesnt wanna run around with me in the big truck then!! Nothing like sliding down Jelico or Mt eagle with 45,000 or 50,000 lbs pushin ya down the hill... plus bein up in the truck you see Sooo much more over the sides...haha

Glad ya made it safe and sound - I just got back from Nashville/Murfreesboro Area..

linen beige

she doesnt wanna run around with me in the big truck then!! Nothing like sliding down Jelico or Mt eagle with 45,000 or 50,000 lbs pushin ya down the hill... plus bein up in the truck you see Sooo much more over the sides...haha

Glad ya made it safe and sound - I just got back from Nashville/Murfreesboro Area..

Scott, Ever go across I-40 from Knoxville to Ashville? Loads of fun in the ice.

Jerrell, shoulda continued on northeast on the back roads. Shown her the real countryside. Country hill sides that is.

saguaro

I loved hualing step's and flat bed's over mountains. :banghead: The only thing is the 377 pete I did that stuff with did'nt have a jake. :USA: Made for some fun.

jerrell

:banghead: hey saguaro, what is a jake brake, and what does it do..? thanks jerry

KyBlue

Jake Brake - Slang term actually, its a engine Brake that almost all the big trucks have...It retards the engine kinda like hitting the brakes but without hitting the brakes.

Oh and the slang comes from a brand name, Jacobs Engine Brake, originally offered on Cummins Engines -

Jim - Yep been that way many times, the gorge isnt fun in dry weather, not to mention icy conditions. Jelico was a white out condition night before last.

Thankfully for the next month Ill be going South...Nashville Area. We usually have to run up into ohio or michigan but...got lucky this time!

KyBlue

Matt - we had a driver stop on top of jelico a few years back, refused to come down until we brought them a truck with a working Jake Brake... The people that some of these companies hire I swear.. ended up having to take another driver down there to drive the truck down the hill (jelico isnt much more than a hill in all honesty) and fired the driver...

Trucks are not required by law to have jakes..Jb hunt and Schneider used to order them w/o Jakes..thou they can be added by swapping out the rocker box assemblies and adding the wiring, etc etc

linen beige

Trucks are not required by law to have jakes..

Scott, did ya know in Ky. it's illegal to use an engine brake on an off ramp in an area where the population is 50,000 or more? I guess some politician must have gotten tired of hearing them in the middle of the night. So, You aren't supposed to be using one when you get off New Circle at Versailles rd. to go out to the B.G. Makes that turn at the bottom of the ramp a little tighter don't it? That's assuming you go that way to connect to I-65 and Nashville? Or do you go down I-75 to Knoxville and across I-40?

The problem at Jellico aint so much the looooong hill as it is the idiots in 4 wheelers who won't stay out of the way. And the motor homes pulling loaded trailers that didn't get a running start. But I bet those drivers that run in the western Sierras would laugh at us.

KyBlue

Jim - might be illegal but till its posted its not ticketable and last time I looked it wasnt posted. I usually dont run the lexington anyway.

Where I am going down in tenn. is east of Nashville, so I go down 75 to 461 to 80 to the 914 bypass, down 27 a bit, over 90 and down 127 into tenn, where I pickup Tenn. 111 which drops me onto 40 at the 188 Right in Cookeville ... or however its spelled. home of a Russell Stover Candies Factory, and more notably Averitt Express.. Its only about 3.5 hr drive going that way. the only Narrow road is the stretch of 127..

linen beige

Jim - might be illegal but till its posted its not ticketable and last time I looked it wasnt posted.

That's not true Scott. There is a phrase uttered almost daily in courts across the country. "Ignorance of the law is no excuse." True, you would be hard pressed to find a judge that would do more than tell you not to do it again, probably be hard pressed to find an officer who would even know of it to start with, but the law is on the books and it is in effect.

I know a girl from Cookeville........... :banghead:

saguaro

Engine breaks are a no no in alot of cities. A jace break changes the valve timing . Thats why they make so much lovely noise. :omg:

Scott. I had a partner one time. He had a decade of driving time on me. driving KS, OK,TX

His first few times in Los Ageles he freaked out, slamming on the breaks,switching lanes, missing exits with double's :USA: I'd wake He'd be doing 40mph on the Interstate :thumbs: just a mess. :banghead: