Sign in to follow this  
BairleaFarm

zip lock bag time

BairleaFarm

I hate doing it but plastic is going up over most of the windows today. We live in a 100 year old house with the original windows. They have cheap storm windows that do almost no good. I feel like im living in a zip lock bag but its noticeable as Im installing the plastic. To bad the clear plastic isnt really clear. I live with a blurred image of the outside world all winter.

KyBlue

Well... long as your house doesnt fill up with stuff like a ziplock... I guess things will be okay.

Ever thought about a wood stove or two??

BairleaFarm

I have but my wife is extremely against it. Shes worried about the kids and a random fore. Okay I told her - no free heat for us.

jerrell

hey david, i live in a home with 5 sliding glass doors, about 6x8 ft , and they was supposed to be the double paned but the gas in between the glass must have leaked out and they frost up when really cold, it would cost a forturn to replace, so i'm thinking of covering with visquene also, since they are blurry anyway. also keeps drapes pulled to help keep the cold out. my house is totally electric and my bills almost double during the winter, :banghead: :USA:

KyBlue

OMG all electric would totally suck ... Our gas bill stinks in the winter... gonna be a long one im afraid..

linen beige

David, have you thought about a wood furnace that sets up outside and uses duct work to heat the house? I don't know how costly they are, but it takes the fire away from the house.

BairleaFarm

David, have you thought about a wood furnace that sets up outside and uses duct work to heat the house? I don't know how costly they are, but it takes the fire away from the house.

I have but havent really looked into it. I assume it would;d be costly.

KyBlue

maybe...but heating is gonna be costly... might pay for itself in just a few years...

jerrell

David , they run anywhere from 2,500.00 up plus the duct work, my neighbor has one , uses 4 ft, logs,but he only has to fill up about 3 times a week. they look like they work great.. he swears by his, and i see a lot of people getting those things around here, my highest electric bill has been around 400.00 in the winter but the ac in the summer runs around 115.00, glad i don't have 4 months of winter, usually dec, jan the only really cold months, the heat pumps runs all the time during those months,,,,