nylyon

Never ends

nylyon

So recently I needed to essentially rebuild the engine in my Cherokee because piston #2 broke the skirt. In the midst of that job, My F250's front brakes needed emergency replacement which was a bear because of frozen pins.  Finally got the engine finished for the Cherokee, passed inspection and everything good...

Today, I brought the F250 to inspection thinking it would be a quick pass.  Well....  the mechanic comes out and shows me the FAIL papers.  Turns out the left rear main leaf spring is completely broken.....  Was not looking to replace springs in the winter not having a good morning...

AMC RULES

gmc_logo.jpg 

:confusion-shrug: GM has some great year end deals going on now Karl.  :handgestures-thumbsup: 

chevy-logo1.gif

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 8

Geno

:text-yeahthat:     :text-yeahthat:     That will fix it for good.   :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1

Sparky

The lack of vehicle inspections here in Ct. is one of the few perks to living here. We have an emissions test every 2 years but that's it....no safety inspection ever.

Mike..........

squonk

Fords are really known for this and I'm not bashing. :angelic-halo:  If the springs aren't broke the shackles are. It will ride like new when done!  :thumbs:

Edited by squonk

nylyon

I'm just tired of working on the cars.  Calling Danbury Spring on Monday see how much for the spring and install.... I know it's not a terrible job, I have air, but it's getting cold out.

stevasaurus

We have a shop here called Elgin Spring.  They would replace the broken spring and rebuild.  They would also want to re-arch the other side to match, which should happen.  So, the rebuild, re-arch and change out all the bolts and rubber.  If I had to guess...about $1500.  Don't hold me to that quote though.  I'm going through a stretch here also Karl (where things are just giving out)...I think it is just that time of year.  You know, you get a head a little, and then you hit this stretch...why does it always happen when it gets cold just before the Holidays??  At least those inspectors found it and you weren't driving on it in snow and ice.  Hang in there Mate.  :)

Digger 66

You guys talk about inspections as a bad thing ?? 

I look over my vehicles pretty good but every once in a blue moon the shop finds something wrong & I'm thankful for that .

Driving a semi in the city for a living , I can't even begin to tell you all the crap I see .

Mufflers held up with coat-hangers , missing / broken rear view mirrors . wheels wobbling & some to the point where I wonder if all the nuts ( no pun intended ) are tight .

I even spotted a guy with lumber in his car sticking out the window , now what if the end of that wood clipped a sign or pole or something ?

I have this to say , if i'm driving home or to work one day & someones wheel ( or other part) flies off their car  & into my windshield , they better make sure I'm dead . 'Cause if I'm not , someone's gettin' a whoopin' ! 

wood_zps5dd01964.png

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Horsesass_zpsb211b90a.jpg

• Like 2

nylyon

I'll tell ya, I had NO idea I had a broken spring, and if it weren't for the inspection I wouldn't have known either (until I took off the wheel).  I routinely hookup 13,000 lbs to the back of this and what a disaster that would have been huh?

The price of a new spring is in the $150 ball park (USA made via internet).  The biggest issue with the install will be getting the shackle bolts out since I don't think that the impact wrench will fit in there with the bed on.  I'm sure a little heat will help matters, but it looks like a several hour job per side.  I'd have to imagine that a spring shop can do this in about an hour or so.  If one side broke, I think that I'll replace both just because I really don't want to screw around with a truck that pulls heavy.

• Like 4

stevebo

That is a job for those who have the right set up. In the end the extra money spent will be well worth having someone else do it. 

• Like 3

Brrly1

Dino, I'm thinking anywhere from $450 to $600 for both springs. If you talk wiith the guys at the shop Karl they might even be able to beef those springs up for you. If I remember correctly you pull a fifth wheel trailer and a lil extra beef never hurt No bobody as long as it works for you. It should be right about that amount even for the Big truck like Karl's. I would definitely take it to the shop like Stevebo and others have mentioned. Craig and Geno you can keep you garage mechanics corp and piles of chevy. I've got a Ford that will run circles around both. Sorry guys but I'm a dedicated Ford fan.

post-45-0-51274900-1416087969_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

squonk

I worked on cars for 20 years for a living and I don't even change my own oil anymore. That shows you how much I enjoyed my old profession!👎

• Like 7

stevasaurus

Digger...I'm with you on this one.  Karl, it is smart to let the pros do this one, and like John said...get them to add an extra leaf.  :)  Labor around here is about $95 an hour.

• Like 1

19richie66

Well this topic hits the nail right on the head. I just got my daugters jeep going again after finding the broken wire under the coil pack harness. JUST told my co worker that it so far has been good for two weeks and if it will just last till after Christmas I would be happy. Not 10 minutes after that she texts me a picture and asks what the green stuff is running out of her dash on the floorboard.I texted her back a you tube video of two guys tearing the dash out of a cherokee. Again, NOT HAPPY. I cant get a break. Karl, I feel your pain.

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 2

stevasaurus

Brrly1 cracks me up.  John...there is a distinct possibility that Ford, Chevy and Chrysler (for that matter) all get their springs from the same manufacturer.  I'm not sure, but back in the day...brakes and brake drums were parts that were contracted out...I would think that leaf springs and coil springs may fall into that category.  Just sayin'.  :eusa-think:

Terry M

Like the guys say, get both springs replaced together...you won't regret it.   I've been told a good spring shop can build those springs up on any size truck better than factory new....although its most likely a little more expensive. :hide:

And I do believe that all trucks are nice these days....But I'm still a Ford guy my self.  just bought my 5th ford truck with the ecoboost engine.  out pulls my last f-150 that was equiped with a 5.4 v-8 :handgestures-thumbupright:

Sorry,I know.... a little off topic :flags-usa:  

post-5864-0-50985300-1416099643_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-48570800-1416099715_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-31270300-1416099793_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Geno

Dino, I'm thinking anywhere from $450 to $600 for both springs. If you talk wiith the guys at the shop Karl they might even be able to beef those springs up for you. If I remember correctly you pull a fifth wheel trailer and a lil extra beef never hurt No bobody as long as it works for you. It should be right about that amount even for the Big truck like Karl's. I would definitely take it to the shop like Stevebo and others have mentioned. Craig and Geno you can keep you garage mechanics corp and piles of chevy. I've got a Ford that will run circles around both. Sorry guys but I'm a dedicated Ford fan.

Run circles around us how?  Going in and out of the mechanic shops.  :laughing-rolling:    :ychain:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Ain't turning no circles in one of those land yachts... 

websitef250ondollieson102.jpg

...unless you count, circling back to the shop with another one in tow maybe.   :teasing-poke: 

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2

squonk

Just turned 160,000 on the Tundra. Time for an oil change.  :)

post-2380-0-33231800-1416103853_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Brrly1

46,000 and hasn't missed a beat. Only thing I've been to the shop for is an oil change. Sorry boys, hate to bum you out. Craig, anybody can get a shot of a truck being towed yuc,yuc! I bet that was real hard to find. I'm sure I can posts all kinds of gmc,chevies, or dodges and tow trucks. Or even better I can post all kinds of pictures of Fords pulling chevies apart or vice a versa. Doesn't matter you like gmc's, Geno a chevy nut and I'm sure there's a dozen dodge owners that'll say my truck better than yours each has there own preference. Mike's is toyota. If anybody remembers someone (Ken B I believe) said something about Karl's truck pulling back thru the hills of New York or somewhere like that and said that they watched Karl work the hills and it was like No tomorrow as he pulled that truck and trailer thru the hills without very little effort. To me that's all Ford power. Personally myself I'm excited to see the New aluminum body when the New F-150 hit the street. In 2016 they are supposedly suppose to tranform the Super duty into aluminum and I'm most definitely interested in that!!! Sorry Pro Ford here guys, always have been, always will be.    Let's get back to original post. Karl I'm hoping fo a repair bill of less than $750    Good luck Let us Know

• Like 4

HorseFixer

We don't have Inspections here in Michigan Either None Nadda!  Karl sorry to hear about all that when it Rains It Pours.  :eusa-think:

squonk

Inspections are a PITA but a good thing. Imagine if Karl was heading to the big show pulling his camper and the whole rear fell out. It would cost a lot more than it's going to cost now. If you don't have inspections in your state and you do your own work, Pay a shop an hour's labor and have your vehicle of choice put up on a hoist after it has aged a few years. you'll be doing yourself and others a huge favor.

• Like 3

Ken B

46,000 and hasn't missed a beat. Only thing I've been to the shop for is an oil change. Sorry boys, hate to bum you out. Craig, anybody can get a shot of a truck being towed yuc,yuc! I bet that was real hard to find. I'm sure I can posts all kinds of gmc,chevies, or dodges and tow trucks. Or even better I can post all kinds of pictures of Fords pulling chevies apart or vice a versa. Doesn't matter you like gmc's, Geno a chevy nut and I'm sure there's a dozen dodge owners that'll say my truck better than yours each has there own preference. Mike's is toyota. If anybody remembers someone (Ken B I believe) said something about Karl's truck pulling back thru the hills of New York or somewhere like that and said that they watched Karl work the hills and it was like No tomorrow as he pulled that truck and trailer thru the hills without very little effort. To me that's all Ford power. Personally myself I'm excited to see the New aluminum body when the New F-150 hit the street. In 2016 they are supposedly suppose to tranform the Super duty into aluminum and I'm most definitely interested in that!!! Sorry Pro Ford here guys, always have been, always will be.    Let's get back to original post. Karl I'm hoping fo a repair bill of less than $750    Good luck Let us Know

I was part of the New England Caravan on its way to the BIG SHOW this past June. I did comment on how effortlessly Karl's Ford pulled his 13,000 pound fifth wheel camper up the big hills once you hit PA. on I-84. My custom van has a pretty strong 350 in it and all I was towing was a few thousand pounds, Karl could walk by me anytime he wanted to with 13,000 in tow. I had always thought the 6.0 Ford diesel's were dog's but I had never seen one in action. Pretty impressive..

Brrly, that is one hell of a Pimpin Cowboy Cadillac you got there! I saw it in person and it is sweet.

• Like 2

nylyon

It's sitting at Danbury Spring now.  Their estimate to fix it made me drop it off right then, should be fixed by 2:30 today, no way could I have do it this quickly so it's better off I did this.  Thanks for talking me off the cliff and for the record, it's not likely that a GMC / Chevy would be parked in the driveway... Now a Ram 3500 with a cummins, now we can talk!

• Like 3

Brrly1

But, but, but, Just wait, I think the new Super Duty in 2016 will be the aluminum bed with the 6.7 pulling in 440hp. One never knows the way they catergorize trucks anymore. It seems everytime somebody adds more hp, the torque goes up, and so do the pulling lbs. I gave up with trying to keep track anymore but like I said I'm excited to see the new aluminum body so time will tell if it comes out in the Super Duty and there's a body change then I'm hoping