scotty

a 301 cc or 8hp predator on wheel horse

scotty

has anyone ever put a predator on a wheel horse or specifically a b80. we have put a 6.5 hp on it but i was wondering if an 8hp would clear the hood.

Oldarmy

Thought I would bump this old thread and see the opinions on this never answered question. I would like to know what would be involved in swapping in this engine and if it would be worth the effort. I know most including me would rebuild the original 8hp Kohler but I always wondered if this could be a quick fix. 

cschannuth

Don’t know about the 301 but the 212 I put in my 606 roller is a monster. It starts on the first pull every time and has plenty of grunt, even with the upsized engine pulley I installed. I had to massage the sides of the grill to clear the air cleaner but no cutting was required. CA71BE85-A959-4920-A81B-870D37BA6A26.jpeg.15a3b63664859ddd76e32b597d7923e0.jpeg0CE87052-59A8-459B-935D-0FBE4E04CF93.jpeg.8aa32a9f2a0be44265fc807409f4e475.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Oldarmy

I am bumping this again as my engine blew yesterday. I don't wish to rebuild again and the Predator 301cc is on sale this week. I know a shaft adapter is needed and anything anyone can offer is much appreciated by me. I'm an old guy that really needs this machine running. Please help if you can!

wallfish
10 hours ago, Oldarmy said:

I am bumping this again as my engine blew yesterday. I don't wish to rebuild again and the Predator 301cc is on sale this week. I know a shaft adapter is needed and anything anyone can offer is much appreciated by me. I'm an old guy that really needs this machine running. Please help if you can!

What machine are you working with?

Anything that had a battery ignition engine initially will  require the ignition switch changed to a magneto type switch for that Predator engine. Adjusting the height and location of the shaft so the shaft ends up in the same position as the original engine is key for the clutching and belt guard so take some measurements from the original engine location.before removing it. 

• Like 2

Oldarmy

Thank you, Wallfish  I have 1977 B80. I now know the shaft size is 1in. the height of the shaft to center is close so maybe a 1-inch shim under the new motor. If I just want to run the new engine as is and just use the pull start and onboard controls is that doable? I don't care about dash controls at this time. I just need to get this back to work to help me with my chores.

Snoopy11
2 hours ago, Oldarmy said:

is that doable?

Absolutely!

Check out our Repower thread for more ideas... :greetings-waveyellow:

Don

• Like 3

Oldarmy
3 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

Absolutely!

Check out our Repower thread for more ideas... :greetings-waveyellow:

Don

Thanks for that Don. I just removed the old engine, think the connecting rod let go. Won't be sure till I tear it down in the winter. I ordered the Predator 301cc engine and hope to adapt it to work. It looks like it can work. Thanks again for the link to the repowers thread.

• Excellent 1

Snoopy11
2 minutes ago, Oldarmy said:

Thanks again for the link to the repowers thread.

No problem. We are here to help. :orcs-cheers:

You may want to create a "Restoration" or such thread for your tractor to keep track of everything. I, along with many other exceptional members will be around to help you through this! :greetings-waveyellow:

Don

• Like 2

Oldarmy

So, a little more information for any who may be considering this swap. I got the engine and have begun to mock it up and see where any problem areas may be. To my great surprise this thing is about as close to a plug and play as one might ask for lol. I had to remove the original "riser plate" my name for it. I replaced it with three 1/4" x 1 1/4 " x the width of the rails and the stack gives me exactly 3/4" lift for the engine. This got the height right on the money.  The bracket to mount the clutch assembly to the engine is almost dead on and bolts to the new engine in the same location with the slightest bit of grinding on the bracket in the bottom center of the bolt locations. This clears a little bit of raised casting on the engine. I have the belt in line and on the pully and it just sits in almost perfect alignment with its own weight and one bolt on the bracket holding it all. I have to finish locating and drilling the mounting holes and I may be up and running. The only thing that needs to be addressed to shut the hood is the air box needs to be replaced with something else. I see some options on the web. Some pictures to show the fitment for any interested parties.

B80 engine swap 007.JPG

B80 engine swap 008.JPG

B80 engine swap 009.JPG

B80 engine swap 010.JPG

B80 engine swap 011.JPG

B80 engine swap 012.JPG

B80 engine swap 013.JPG

B80 engine swap 014.JPG

• Excellent 4

Oldarmy

It lives and was a pretty easy swap. I cut the grass/weeds yesterday and it was just fine. A few tweaks and she ran like a horse lol. I am going to add some spacers to raise the hood a bit at the front to make clearance and avoid changing the air box/filter and see how that works. It is much quieter than the old mill too. 

Snoopy11

@Oldarmy ...would you post your engine swap in our repower thread?

We would appreciate it!!! :bow-blue:

Don

• Like 1

Moparfanforever

Glad it worked out so good!!

I have been thinking about doing the same swap on one of my tractors. 

• Like 1

Oldarmy
On 9/30/2022 at 11:38 AM, Snoopy11 said:

@Oldarmy ...would you post your engine swap in our repower thread?

We would appreciate it!!! :bow-blue:

Don please feel free to move this to the repower thread. I'm not sure how to do it.