sluggo

Wheel Weights for Snow Plowing

WheelHorse79

HDAP stands for Heavy Duty All Purpose.  These tires have more aggressive tread than turfs, but less aggressive than ag tires. They are found primarily on ATVs, but there are some tractor models that come with them as standard (i.e. JD X530 series).

bmsgaffer

I believe HDAP is a John Deere specific term for their "upgraded" tire set.

HDAP are just Carlisle HD Field Trax tires that JD sells at huge markup

The Carlisle All Trails are very similar though and available in more sizes that fit the WH's.

• Like 1

SirFuego

FWIW, you don't "need" to put fluid in your tires, put on aggressive tires, or even have wheel weights (unless perhaps you are a really small guy).  Don't get me wrong, they will help traction, but you can definitely get by without them.  The setup on my 244-5 is just a plow with just chains on turf tires and I haven't felt like I was lacking traction the past few Buffalo winters I've used it with (disclaimer: I use it on a long, paved, mostly flat driveway).

The key is to plow with the storm (when we get 12+", I'm usually out there at least twice, but if it's fluffy snow, I might just wait till its done) and not try to take too much snow with the blade.

Edited by SirFuego

PaulC

FWIW, you don't "need" to put fluid in your tires, put on aggressive tires, or even have wheel weights (unless perhaps you are a really small guy).  Don't get me wrong, they will help traction, but you can definitely get by without them.  The setup on my 244-5 is just a plow with just chains on turf tires and I haven't felt like I was lacking traction the past few Buffalo winters I've used it with (disclaimer: I use it on a long, paved, mostly flat driveway).

I also agree with this statement and I also deal with the Buffalo snow! I too have a pretty flat asphault/concrete driveway and for the past two years have only put chains on my 312's with my 42" blower. My blower will bog before I loose traction for the most part.

I will say though now that I built myself a rear hitch I am thinking about adding some plate weights to the rear this year just to see how much of a difference the weight makes.

squonk

You would not believe the difference filled tires make. Once you get a head of steam, The momentum of the rolling fluid will shove the tractor an extra foot or two when hitting a snow bank. I plowed snow for 54 years with out filled tires, but after doing it, I would not go back to unfilled.

Edited by squonk

doc724

I am not a big proponent of filled tires, but I know that many of you are and have been using that technique successfully for many years.  It has been over 40 years since I took Engineering Mechanics, but I do remember that rotational inertia must be counterbalanced by the strength of materials.  Inertia can be your friend as well as your enemy.  It is a good thing the designers of the WH Unidrive way back in the 50's over designed the pinion and differential gears or else those tranny's would be littered with broken gear teeth.  Weight placed close to the center of rotation is a bit easier of the drive train.  But hey, who am I to argue with success.  If it works, go for it!

• Like 4

SirFuego

I also agree with this statement and I also deal with the Buffalo snow! I too have a pretty flat asphault/concrete driveway and for the past two years have only put chains on my 312's with my 42" blower. My blower will bog before I loose traction for the most part.

I will say though now that I built myself a rear hitch I am thinking about adding some plate weights to the rear this year just to see how much of a difference the weight makes.

I wish I had a blower on mine.  The plow is nice, but the snowthrower just seems like it'd be easier since I don't need to "plan" where to put all the snowpiles.  I've been looking for one, but haven't come across one and was too slow for one out in Darien (all the ones I found locally require the horizontal shaft pto and my 244-5 has the vertical shaft pulley).  Let me know if you happen to hear of something (I've been checking craigslist daily).  Sorry for the hijack...

You would not believe the difference filled tires make. Once you get a head of steam, The momentum of the rolling fluid will shove the tractor an extra foot or two when hitting a snow bank. I plowed snow for 54 years with out filled tires, but after doing it, I would not go back to unfilled.

Oh yeah I don't doubt that at all.  Offroading (Jeeps, buggies, etc) is a hobby of mine and I know it's common to do the same in those for extra traction (if your drivetrain can handle the additional rolling mass).  All I was saying was that you don't absolutely need to do all of that to plow well -- even in areas like upstate NY and MI that get a good amount of snow.

Edited by SirFuego

PaulC

I wish I had a blower on mine.  The plow is nice, but the snowthrower just seems like it'd be easier since I don't need to "plan" where to put all the snowpiles.  I've been looking for one, but haven't come across one and was too slow for one out in Darien (all the ones I found locally require the horizontal shaft pto and my 244-5 has the vertical shaft pulley).  Let me know if you happen to hear of something (I've been checking craigslist daily).  Sorry for the hijack...

Funny you mention that I just posted one for sale on CL about 2 hrs ago unfortunately its horizontal shaft for 3,4,500 series. I got my blower to scrape like a plow so I have the best of both worlds haha. I have not run a plow but I expect I would much rather run a blower. Hope you find one!!!

Reading comments like squonks makes me want to try added weight but I like my shiny hubcaps so wheel weights are out :laughing-rofl: that's why im liking my idea of plate style weights that will slip onto a bar or tube coming out of the rear hitch, easy on easy off and can keep my bling :woohoo:

SirFuego

Funny you mention that I just posted one for sale on CL about 2 hrs ago unfortunately its horizontal shaft for 3,4,500 series. I got my blower to scrape like a plow so I have the best of both worlds haha. I have not run a plow but I expect I would much rather run a blower. Hope you find one!!!

Reading comments like squonks makes me want to try added weight but I like my shiny hubcaps so wheel weights are out :laughing-rofl: that's why im liking my idea of plate style weights that will slip onto a bar or tube coming out of the rear hitch, easy on easy off and can keep my bling :woohoo:

Haha.  I actually saw your ad and got excited -- then I looked at the pics and realized it wouldn't work.

The key is to get weight above the rear axle, so the rear hitch idea should work pretty well if the hitch can handle it.  I'm a fatty, so that pretty much counteracts the need for wheel weights, but I know my Dad (who isn't) had no issues plowing with it years before I ever used it.

Edited by SirFuego

pfrederi

When you raise your snowblower and try to back up any grade you will want weights and chains....