welderman85

shipping questions

welderman85

I don't know if I posted this in the correct place. so if its wrong im sorry. im parting out a tractor and I want to list parts in ebay but I don't know how to go about shipping heavy parts. thanks

rmaynard

I ship engines and such via my local Fastenal store.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Fastenal ships store to store, and they are reasonable for larger/heavier items.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Sposed to be really easy to work with too. 

Lane Ranger

I will echo what others have said about Fastenal.

I sold a mower deck  Friday that  a member wanted in Pa.  I was not going to ship the mower deck.    I was persuaded by the member (and paid extra) to  secure the mower deck to a pallet and take to my local Fastenal store for third party shipping which they do. The store unloaded the pallet from my truck with a forklift and placed in temporary storage until their Fastenal truck picks it up to transship.    I obtained a receipt this am and scanned it to send to the Red Square member buyer and it is on it's way.   Shipping a mower deck  (36 side discharge)  which fit well on a 48 x 40 pallet cost the buyer $125  to ship from Greencastle, Indiana to Pennsylvania. 

I would say the experience was an eye opener and shows Fastenal can do the job of shipping big and heavy  parts for a reasonable price.  The third party shipping information is on the Fastenal  website.

• Like 1

rmaynard

I shipped a K241 engine from the Fastenal store in Westminster, MD to Fastenal in Crossville, TN for $75.00. As mentioned above, I put it on a pallet and they unloaded from my truck. They attached shipping documents and had it delivered in less than a week.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 3

Terry M

HMMM,

I think Fastenal someday may be my new avenue to finding stuff out east :) .  Minnesota :greetings-waveyellow: .......................east coast :greetings-waveyellow:

Edited by Terry M
  • Like 2

squonk

If it's heavy and you need a fork truck to move it make sure their forklift driver will be there when you arrive. My Fastenal store the guy is only there in the morning so I have to take time off from work if I want to ship anything.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

pacer

Fastenal is indeed a great relatively inexpensive way to ship our 'stuff' --- but... there are some points to consider with this.

It is strictly point to point, you have to drop it off and your buyer has to pick it up (no home delivery, no tail gate, etc) and there is no time specifics for delivery, it may get there in a few days and it may be a bit lengthy (a mower deck from Fla to La took 2 weeks) and it would be wise to contact your store to verify their ability to handle your shipment (to avoid something like Mike points out about the forklift) and also verify that there is a store where you need to ship to and their ability to handle. The online form is dead simple to fill out and get a quote, but its just wise to talk to your store.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

My Fastenal store has pallets there, I have shipped 2 times now with them (a wheel horse transmission each time) and they have been excellent.  I just drop it off and put it on one of their pallets and they have tied it down.  I definitely call the store and give them a heads up.  They call me back when they get the paper work.  I think it helps that the guy's Dad has an old Wheel Horse in his garage that he wants to get running.  I gave him the link to this site, and he was thrilled.

The reason, I think, why it takes some time for them to ship sometimes...is the pallet does some traveling.  From my store, it goes to their hub (Minneapolis), then it goes to their main hub (Indianapolis), then to the hub for the costumer store and then to the destination store.  My store has a truck come there every day...some stores may only see a truck once a week.  I don't think you can beat the price though and you do not have to build a box for your shipment.  :)

BTW...this was my store's 1st time doing 3rd party shipping...they did not even know they would do that.  It was a painless and learning experience for both of us.  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 3

jackhammer

Yes in agreement with Steve , I approached our Fastenal and (this was last fall) and they were unaware of any handling of shipping. The clerk did some checking and immediately handed me a form, asked for my email addy , and gave me  another number. By the time I got home there was an email , with more info . They were quite accommodating., and most helpful.

• Like 2

Geno

A new Fastenal just opened here in my town about a month ago and I never thought much about it.  After all the comments from you guys I opened a commercial account with them today.   Thanks for all your help guys!  :text-+1:

• Like 1

can whlvr

I have received large items from the states to Canada from ups and it was a good expeirance for me

stevasaurus

Don brings up a good point with UPS.  Fastenal, although they have stores in Canada, does not like to ship transmissions across the border.  I think it is a 9/11 thing and possible smuggling. You can ship any where there is a store in the US with no problem.  Shipping a tractor on a pallet may be OK, but make sure you ask Fasenal if they have a restriction on what you are shipping.  I was trying to ship a trans to a guy up near Toronto and he had to come down to Buffalo, NY to pick it up and take it across the boarder himself.  Just sayin'...make sure you ask...Fastenal will let you know...no surprises.  :)

Fun Engineer

I had a good experience with Fastenal also. I was approached to help ship a Snapper push mower for a gentleman outside McLean, VA. I packaged it in a box and strapped it to a pallet. It cost the guy $90 for Fastenal to ship it from Gaylord, MI.

It was an easy process and I will consider using Fastenal again.

• Like 2