Ken B

What the????

Ken B

So, I'm toolin down the road on my way home from work and not five minutes goes by and I come upon this little whoopsie... Now I can tell you they weren't doin any road work in the vicinity!! I slowed way down and grabbed my camera as with much luck it was sittin on the center console of my van. As luck would have it there wasn't anyone behind me! Some dope in an O&G uniform ?(the company that owns the truck) on the OTHER side of the road yelled at me to stop takin pictures and holding up traffic! I couldn't resist so I yelled at him Yer the one holdin up traffic Jacka$$! On the other side of the road traffic was held up at least a mile!

IMG_1790_zpse85b874b.jpg

Edited by Ken B
  • Like 2

JimD

Wow Ken, it must be National Dump Truck Screw Up Day. This one is here on Ohio 14 below an I480 bridge in Streetsboro. Looks like R.S. (republic services) is gonna be spending some bucks on a bridge..

10616200_10152198639252133_9049875686544

10616017_10152198639302133_2149084485462

10615589_10152198639377133_7497629789141

Edited by JimD
  • Like 2

1maidenfan

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great pix, stupid drivers. :laughing-rofl:  :eusa-think:  :angry-nono:

MalMac

Yes there are a lot of stupid drivers, but sometimes things happen that drivers can't control. I was driving for a company that had roll off trucks and we had the same thing happen. I was in a truck behind another driver. We were going down the interstate when we were coming up to a real rough section. The driver in front of me got off the throttle to slow down. That was just enough to take pressure off the transmission and the bumps caused the PTO to kick in because of a short in the electrical system to the engaging switch. Also the raise and lower levers were all electronic too. When the short occurred the bed started to raise and when he got back on the throttle it raised fast. Before I could warn him he hit the next bridge. The bed broke off just like that one and caused the cab to tear away from it's mounts. Even wearing a seat belt he was thrust forward so hard that he had internal injuries. He died two days later in the hospital. Yes there are stupid drivers out there and more and more everyday. But things do happen whether over sight or accidental or just plain stupidity. Maybe if we would get away form all this computer, electrical control crap and go back to manual control maybe things like this would not happen, but you can't fix stupid so I guess it's a toss up.

JimD

Malmac I think you're onto something there. We rely much too heavily on electronics that are not foolproof in almost all walks of our lives any  more. Their convenience to us seems to make it worth the risk. At least manual control eliminates other ghost causes of accidents like these.

953 nut

Back in '74 I was on a county road in upstate NY crossing Interstate 81 when a dump bed hit the beam of the bridge I was on; loudest impact I ever heard! It didn't do much damage to the bridge, but the dump truck had a bent frame and the bed was on the ground.

RMCIII

Stuff like that, needs to have safety pins. If you have ever seen the interior of a fighter jet, you will know what I mean. It can be done, and should be done, so accidental electrical shorts, will not override the system and cause the hydralics to raise the bed... Also had safety pins on AGE equipment. Kept shorts from doing just that. If a short happened, it would just blow a fuse. Easier to replace a fuse that sit and explanie to a Colonel what happened on his flightline.

Rob

JimD

Rob, I couldn't agree with you more. In the military it would certainly work because there would be penalties to pay for not obeying orders and safety procedures. But out here where "Boy Meets World" things are sadly different. Grown men and women who know better continuously jeopardize their jobs to take short cuts. I've seen it my whole working career and have been guilty of it myself on occasion. The first time a driver had to crawl under a truck and remove pins and put them in a toolbox while he operated the roll off or dump bed that's where they would most likely stay. You can fix trucks and bridges, but

ron-white-meme-generator-you-can-t-fix-s

I don't know, maybe you've thought this through further than I have. :)

• Like 1

RMCIII

The safety pin would actually act as a detent next to the valve for the dump bed cylinder. Pin in, no current, pin out, current flows and hydralics can be operated. Simple as that. Saw many different types of safety pin useage in the Air Force, seems that this, would be a simple fix. But to your point, after the first time it was pulled, the driver would probably just leave it lying on the passenger seat.

Rob

Digger 66

Spotted this dude last summer & let the camera roll .

Watch the light pole  :snooty: .

Digger 66

2013-01-10_10-25-26_172_zpsc605d1d8.jpg