formariz

RJ 35 questions

formariz

Recently acquired a long awaited for RJ 35. Downloaded and read manual but since this tractor is totally new to me, i am not certain on a few things.

1- assuming one has the correct lenght belts on it, which one is the "neutral" slot? supposed to have 5 foward speeds so I assume it is the 5th from the front.

2- what is then the 6th slot? ( kind of figured this one. 6th is the neutral)

3- when starting tractor in the neutral position there should not be any traction on belt to engine pulley? if so belt lengh is incorrect? Or rod needs adjusting?

4- when traveling downhill its just free wheeling ? Engine and transmission do not hold it as in other models? If so we shall call it little widow maker here.

5-It seems to be normal when pushing tractor by hand for the pawls to engage. Is it better to then just pop belt off when pushing it around?

Many thanks for any input.

Edited by CasualObserver
added tags
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

Send a PM to "JoeBob"  this is what he lives for.  :)

stevebo

Or Vinsrj ...

• Like 1

buckrancher

#1  neutral the closest slot to motor

#2 see answer #1

#3 if correct belt rod needs adjusting

#4 tractor free wheels you need a bk35 brake kit

#5 yes it is normal you can push the tractor the other way to release the drive dogs then push it where you want to go

Brian

• Like 2

formariz

Thanks Brian

It does have the brake kit.

In its day this thing probably was a real adventure to use specially if you have a hilly property like me. I cant even see how it would be possible to use without the brake.

Could this be the reason why i never see anyone riding one around the show grounds?

I just love this thing. I dont think I was ever this pleased or excited with any other tractor I got.

Ken B

Ok now....Pics! :)

I had one that I bought from VinsRJ. It was set up properly by Vin and it was a pleasure to drive, slowly and on flat ground. No brake kit. I used it VERY LITTLE. In an effort to make some space in my garage I sold it back to Vin.. Maybe some day it will boomerang its ways back to me!

• Like 1

Brrly1

Cas, I am going to drop a hint. :text-worthless: Curious as to what you have found?

VinsRJ

Setting up a RJ35 is not that difficult but you do have to fiddle with it to get it to run smooth. First off your belt size is determined by the diameter of your rear jack-shaft pulley.

I run a 20" belt from the motor to the veri-drive, now if you have the larger rear puley I would start with a 37" belt from the veri-drive to the rear pulley and a 36" belt if you have the later or smaller style pulley. Keep in mind you may have to run back and forth to the auto parts place and play with lengths in order to dial it in.

As for the adjustment this is what I have found to be the best way for me...

1) Make sure the adjustment rod from the speed selector to the veri-drive pivit is straight and not bent up.

2) Make sure the center chive of the veri-drive slides smoothly side to side and that there is no excessive slop.

3) Install belts

4) Lift the rear wheels off the groung (I use jack stands)

5) Place the speed selector arm in the center position (neutral position)

6) Pull the spark plug

7) Now with your left hand spin the very-drive... its should spin semi-freely except for some slight belt drag... the rear tires may spin but there should be no resistance in reference to the engine pulley. If it dosn't feel right or doesn't look right make an adjustment to your adjustment rod.

8) Now while spinning the veri-drive with your left hand, actuate the speed selector with your right, moving the lever forward... this should engage both the engine pulley (this is why I pull the spark plug) and rear pulley... The belt from the engine should be driven into the veri-drive and the rear pulley belt should be brought to the top of the veri-drive.

9) Now if it does not look like you are getting full motion of the belts into and out of the veri-drive you will have to pull the adjustment arm, screw the adjusted in or out to adjust the engine pulley's depth into the very drive.

10) When you think you have it close its time for a ride... there should not be an excessive belt slop or bouncing.. there will be some but it should run fairly smooth... if there is a lot of bounce in the belts check the v-groves and make sure they are clean of any paint and/or rust... this includes the veri-drive.

11) You may have to go back and forth with the adjustment rod in order to dial it in.

Now a tid bit I should tell you... I do not use the reverse discs... they're stupid... and take up adjustment room. I like to set up my RJ35s so when the speed selector is pulled all the way back it totally disengages the belt system. This also allows you to engage the drive system in much smoother mannor because you slowly bring the power on over a greater belt range/adjustment... intead of just from the center neutral position.

I may add to this as things come to my mind, LOL!

Edited by VinsRJ
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WheelHorse79

You know, the whole vari-drive system sounds fascinating.  Do you have any pictures to illustrate your instructions?  I would love to see how this system is engineered to work, since I've never seen an RJ25/35 pulley drive system.

formariz

Great pointers Vin. Hopefully this week i will have a little time to tinker with it.

So the way you set it up it engages belt a little before the sixth hole? Do you pull lever all the way back as to allow it to hook under bar totally releasing tension off belt?

Sorry for the lack of pictures but i just didnt have much time lately. I got the one Charlie had at the show. Its in very good shape and all there. He is now rebuilding anoter Clinton for it. I will post pics soon.

Brrly1

Cas, you bought the 56' that Charlie had? I considered it but knew what I had sitting at home.

VinsRJ

I will pull one of my RJ35s out and up load a vid to my youtube channel... makes for a good topic!

I should be able to complete it tonight and link it to this thread.

Edited by VinsRJ
  • Like 1

Brrly1

Thanks Vin, that will definitely get me straightened out on these sitting here. So glad for You Tube, it's a definite help

Edited by Brrly1

formariz

Cas, you bought the 56' that Charlie had? I considered it but knew what I had sitting at home.

Yes thats the one. We couldnt reach an agreement at the show, but after he posted it on the classifieds we both compromised a bit and i got it. He actually delivered it to me on his way back from NY. What a great guy he is.

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1

formariz

I will pull one of my RJ35s out and up load a vid to my youtube channel... makes for a good topic!

I should be able to complete it tonight and link it to this thread.

Thank you so much Vin. Nothing like looking at another one along with your expert comentary.

• Like 1

VinsRJ

Here is my overview of how to set up a RJ35 Veri-Drive....

I know the muffler is missing, LOL!... I have a new ceramic coated muffler to install...

Edited by VinsRJ
  • Like 2

formariz

And this is the reason why if you have any interest in Wheel Horses you must be a member of this forum, where you not only find individuals with the same passion as you, but are also great people who are willing to take time out of their lifes and provide such a concise and detailed sharing of their knowledge with the rest of us who are not so knowledgeable.

Knowledge is something which is not our own, merely passed on to us and it is our responsibility to improve on it and pass it on to others so it van also improve their lives.Too many people miss that point.

Thank you so much Vin, you have made what was already a great experience in getting this tractor even better by bringing to light some of its misteries.

This video should be permanently moved to the "How-to" section.

Edited by formariz
  • Like 2

Brrly1

Cas, I couldn't agree more, Thanks Vin I will use this several times. If you keep the reverser in place, does it primarily move the same way? Adjust to say the middle slot? Don't know, I guess thats why I am asking

VinsRJ

Cas, I couldn't agree more, Thanks Vin I will use this several times. If you keep the reverser in place, does it primarily move the same way? Adjust to say the middle slot? Don't know, I guess thats why I am asking

Thank you for your kind words!... I glad it may be of some help...

If you are going to run the reverse disk then set your dead nuetral with the speed selector in the middle position (straight up) and start your belt adjustment from that point. As you may have noticed my adjustment pinion is screwed all the way to the end of the adjuster rod. You may have to initially start your adjustment pinion further in on the threads of the adjuster rod due to the reserse disk being in place.

Also if you have the larger rear jack shaft pulley you may need a 37" belt...

Edited by VinsRJ

WheelHorse79

As Mr. Spock would say: "Fascinating!".  This reminds me of my Grandfather's old MF 35 model combine.  It too had a variable speed drive using a variable pitch pulley system.  You could actually see it working as it drove by, with the pulley moving in and out.  It worked pretty well in the days before hydrostatic because it could provide you an infinite combination of ground speeds which was essential for combines.  You can see part of the pulley drive system behind the guard on the side of the combine.  Thanks again for posting.

post-8950-0-20275000-1407948217_thumb.jp

Edited by WheelHorse79

formariz

Vin

How close to the vari-speed pulley should the guard on the 56 be? Mine is very close and looks like pulley rubbed on it quite a bit sometime in the past.

Also my adjusting rod has a couple of gentle bends to it. Perhaps the best thing is to straighten it?

I also should of read instructions prior to greasing that pulley. Did it sparingly anyway but i see that there is the great possibility of contaminating belts. Any suggestions on that? Greasing it seems to become problematic sooner or later.

Edited by formariz

formariz

So, upon viewing video a couple of times particularly at the end when Vin shows the vari drives apart, i realized that something was not right with mine since center part rotated when it should not. Attached are photos of what I found. Seems like wodruff key was swallowed up sometime ago. Sleeve also has a considerable amount of wear most likely from center section rotating.

As per Vin seems like another key could be recut on other side? There is also a bit of damage to keyway in center section.

post-484-0-60581400-1407975387.jpg

post-484-0-56964900-1407975395.jpg

post-484-0-35008300-1407975402.jpg

Edited by formariz

VinsRJ

As for the grease issue... its gets everywhere.... thats why if you are going to ride the tractor... restoring it is not in the cards, at least for me. Just add enough grease to lube everything up.

It looks like you will have to cut a new woodruff key slot in the center and cut a new key way in the chive. I have done this a number of times without issue. You can weld up the old woodruff key slot and grind it down, that way grease does not migrate out.

In full nuetral the veri-drive may sit on the belt guard but when running it should not be touching... you will have to play with the adjustment rod and even the belt sizes to work out the bugs.... they're not Swiss watches, LOL!

formariz

I am not big on restorations since i like to use my tractors all the time so thats not going to be an issue.

I gather that any machine shop will be able to do it since I do not have the equipment for that.

What is the function of the v-shaped part on the left side of pulley? is that where the reverse disk would engage?

Also would you know the needle bearing numbers for the pulley?

I really apreciatte all your help and apologize for all the questions.

WheelHorse79

Yes, if you can, please show us how the reverse disc operates.  I've heard they make a terrible racket.