Sign in to follow this  
rondo

Cart tire

rondo

Not sure of exactly where to post this.

One of my cart tires has gone completely flat (it had lost air before but not to this extent) and lost it's seal with the rim. I don't have a "real" compressor, just one of those 12V ones for small jobs. Not sure if that would make any difference anyway, though, because I wouldn't know how to get it to seal back up again. Aside from taking it in for repair (which doesn't seem worth the money), is my only other option to get a tube?

If I could get it to seal at the rim and hold air long enough, I'd just try to patch it, but... :banghead:

Really torks me off, it's almost new. :USA:

Thanks guys, any ideas are welcome.

CasualObserver

The best repair would be either a tube or just a new wheel. (They're about $20 at any hardware store or home center) If you would rather just keep using the old one, you can usually get it to seal by wrapping a rope or ratchet strap around the tire and pulling it tight. this forces the sidewalls and beads to flex out touch the rim. Even your little 12 volt pump should be able to work at that point, or you could take the wheel with you to the gas station next time you go and use the air pump there. :banghead:

Nick

Ive never done it but when my brother has trouble getting a tire to seal he uses silicone on it. I think he just pushes the tire down from the rim and runs some silicone around the area that seals to the rim. He says it works well. :banghead:

KyBlue

Jason, the ratchet Strap Idea is a Good'n Ive done that more than once and it works good!!

Brrly1

Jason shoots and scores!! That would be my suggestion also. Burly

rocking 416

ive squirted carb cleaner around the bead. an tossed match somtimes that helps them seal. it will make a big whoosh sound an usally seal. its kind of dangeros tho. so use it as a last resort. an be safe when doing it.. ive done it on fork lift tires an bigger tires. i have used it for cart tires too. but the best route was the inner tube at home depot. 8.99 i took one side of the bead out an placed the valve core in place. (the hole in wheel) then very very carfully . used screw drive to put the beac back on . and if you use inner tube you dont have to worry about seading it. thats pry the best way.. good luck :banghead:

perry

or you could take the wheel with you to the gas station next time you go and use the air pump there. :banghead:

:USA: good luck finding a gas station anymore with REAL air pressure. them $25 air box's are a joke.

the strap trick or tube should do ya.

BairleaFarm

I would completly dis mount it if your adding a tube. You might have a thorn or something in the tire witch would in turn put a hole in your tube.

Nick

OK when I first read this I thought the leak was only at the rim. Jasons suggestions should fix you up in either case. :banghead:

I would think about mounted it up first just to test with water or soapy water and see if its a leak at the rim or something in the tire. If its leaking at the rim and you have some silicone give that a try to seal it. If it is something more then it might end up costing enough for repairs and labor that buying a new tire/rim could be the best deal. :USA:

Duff

Really torks me off, it's almost new. :thumbs:

Mike - just a quick thought. You say it's almost new. Did the cart come from anywhere that has any kind of warranty service? I know in this day and age getting decent warranty service on a lot of things is a bad joke :banghead: , but thought I'd throw the question out there........ :omg:

Duff :USA:

CasualObserver

After reading all the responses and such I got to thinking... especially since you said it's almost new... a slow leak could also be a loose or faulty valve stem core. Cheap part to replace... they're in the bike dept at walmart. Either or any way... good luck fixing your tire. :banghead:

linen beige

a slow leak could also be a loose or faulty valve stem core.

I was wondering how long it was going to take for someone else to point out the most common reason for tires to go flat. It aint always the tire.

And David had a good point too. If you go with a tube, make sure there isn't something in the tire that would puncture the tube.

And yet, NO ONE has mentioned lubing the bead with soapy water before airing it up. That makes the rubber slide up tight to the bead a lot more snugly.