nylyon

eBAY Alert! **IMPORTANT**

nylyon

Well guys, if you haven't seen the news, eBay has been hacked.  Well, actually they were hacked 2 months ago but it's just coming to light now.  If you have an eBay account, your personal information has been exposed, and nothing you can do about it, but your password was also exposed as well.

Note about the passwords.  They got an encrypted password, but if it can be encrypted, it can be decrypted!

So what to do?  Log onto your eBay account and change your password, like NOW!  Nothing you can do about them having your name and address, but you need to stop them from gaining access to your eBay account!

For more information:

http://www.cnet.com/news/ebay-hacked-requests-all-users-change-passwords/

• Like 1

Martin

thanks for the heads up Karl. I had no idea, did ebay notify anyone by email at all? i use my wives account and don't get any correspondence from them so i wouldn't know.

AMC RULES

Dude!   :thanks: 

Good lookin' out!   :handgestures-thumbsup:  

nylyon

thanks for the heads up Karl. I had no idea, did ebay notify anyone by email at all? i use my wives account and don't get any correspondence from them so i wouldn't know.

Nope, I didn't get anything.  Due to my career, I pay particular attention to technical issues and saw this today.  As a note, you should change your passwords every 90 days or so in the event your information was exposed and NEVER EVER make your banking password the same as less secure sites (like this one).  In fact, make your banking password something different than anything else and not related to you.

• Like 1

stevebo

Just changed mine.... :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

groundhog47

Karl, didn't say whether got into paypal also did they? Thanks for the heads up  Ok read they site you posted! Thanks again

Edited by groundhog47

nylyon

No, they didn't get into PayPal, but you should treat PayPal as you would any bank account and change it every 90 days!

Sparky

So exactly what would they be able to do? No one could make purchases with my e-bay log in only? My Pay-pal info is (currently) safe right? So if some hacker hit buy it now on a $200,000 Ferrari what's the harm to me personally ?

Just trying to get a grasp on what they are after?

Mike...........

nylyon

Right, they could get on, and create havoc for your account.  Sell the information to others, use your account to drive up the bids on things etc.  Like many other hacks, it'll take time and effort to fix the problems created.  Changing the password is far easier than cleaning up afterwards.

AMC RULES

As you know...  :scared-eek: 

mayhem never rests. 

64s

Wow, I was on the phone with ebay this past Sunday.  I tried to contact a buyer and a message came up that my account may have been compromised and to call them to be able to use the account.  I thought it was strange that I could print shipping labels and search my account and the site, but was not able to contact a buyer.  I called, got it straightened out and was told that I should change my password and security question every 60 days.  Never was there a mention of any kind of breach. I guess they were trying to keep the cat in the bag.

KC9KAS

When I went to Ebay to change my information there was some info on the web site that said there was no evidence that anyone had experienced and fraudulent activity on their account.