Sign in to follow this  
Shuboxlover

Be Honest.....

Shuboxlover

I've been kicking around the idea of getting rid of my John Deere 430 with 60" deck and triple bagger MCS with separate motor.  (my mowing tractor)

I would only get rid of it if I could find a  523 DXi...................with 60" deck....................and collection unit.

Do you guys think this would be a smart thing to do?

I really.....REALLY like my 430, but just miss sitting on a red tractor.

I HAVE to have a 60" deck, and REALLY REALLY want the fuel economy of the diesel. 

I have a 60" deck for my 520, but I can't raise it high enough to my liking for the Nebraska summer heat.  That is why I've been mowing with the JD430 these past 2-3 years.

If I needed parts for the 523, are they readily available?  That's the nice thing about Deere, they have 98% of the stuff in stock....sure you pay for it, but they have it.

Does anyone know of any for sale...probably like finding the proverbial needle in a hay stack.

ugh....at least it's off my chest.

MalMac

I understand about the fuel economy thing, I parked my 520 and use a C-145 and a C-101, Sold the 60 inch deck and now use 48 and 42. Takes a little longer but huge savings in fuel. As far as the JD VS 523 Xi, if were me I would stay with the JD. Like you said parts are available. The 523 is nice but I think if your wanting a Diesel there are better options out there.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:scared-eek:   Sounds like confession.    :) 

Ken B

If you Really Really like the John Deere and you are happy with it I'd hold onto it. Why set yourself up for possible disappointment? Maybe you can paint the John Deere red? :confusion-shrug:

• Like 3

6wheeler

To be honest? If I could afford to get my meat-hooks on a JD 430? I would have one. I don't think a 523 would more efficient than your 430. I have the same deck height issue with my 520/60" deck. may try some taller rubber on the tractor and bigger wheels on the deck(some fabrication with swivel casters is rolling through my brain). But, I would not get rid of the 430. There has got to be enough room out there in Nebraska for both of them right?

wh500special

I wouldn't expect the mowing height of a 523Dxi and 60" deck to be any higher than that of your 520H.  It's the same deck and deck wheels, only the mounting brackets differ.

430's are neat.  The way the nose sticks way out is a little peculiar, but they have got to be either the ultimate GT or awefully close to it.  Having the MCS is nice too.  Finding a similar clipping sucker for a 523Dxi will probably be hard to do. 

As much as I trumpet the virtues of the 5xi series, I don't think they are in the same class as the 400 series Deere.  They're more comparable to the 325/345/355D line from Deere.

I'd stay on the 430 if it was me.

Steve

Shuboxlover

You make some great points Steve...I never thought about the deck height of the 5xi series.  I guess what you say makes sense.  I know there was a member on here who either bought....or was looking at buying a 5xi series tractor with an MCS of some sort.  Can't remember where the thread is or who it was.  I do remember it was a very nice machine though.  At first I didn't like the nose of the 430, but it grew on me pretty well, and now that's one of it's features I like and enjoy the most.

Don1977

I wouldn't get rid of my 430, but it's a little different then yours.

SAM_0375.jpg

rexman72

the 430 is a great machine even though its green

520HC

I"ve been a Wheel Horse Guy for 25 years. I blow snow with a 418C, I spray my yard with a Raider 12, I run my tiller with a 1277, I grade my drive with a C-160, and have 20 or so more in the building. But, I mow with a John Deere 420,60" deck and I love it. It has a 20HP Onan, gas hog for sure, but I mow 2 acres a week. I had a 520H, but could not mow 3 inches high with it,no problem with the Deere.