Sign in to follow this  
Kai Thomsen

Where to find more information on engines like this ?

Kai Thomsen

I was searching for something else on youtube and found this Cooper Bessemer engine

and right now just sitting here thinking...WOW !! i wish i had one !

I have tried seaching for more info on them on google, but no luck.

Can anybody guide me to more information on engines like these ?  i really want to know how they work.. i think they run on natural gas..how do they do that ? carburetors like the ones i know from cars probaly won't work :)  ignition..pistons, valves..how do they start them ?

Is there an illustrated parts list and "how to build engine" workshop manual out there somewhere ? :-)

Anglo Traction

Hello Kai, there are a few links. Here's one that gives you the background to the concept and potted history.

http://www.coolspringpowermuseum.org/Publications/Flywheel/Flywheel_201305.htm

You could start by searching the US Patent office for DR E.J Fithian's application in 1896. It covers the conversion of the Steam Engine into the 2 cycle Gas fuelled Engine that you are looking into.

If you search using the words  Bessemer Engine , you may find more links, as Cooper Bessemer is only one Manufacturers name of this type of engine. 

Using gas as a fuel is historically common and conversion is reasonably straight forward. Kits are available for various sized engines.

Enjoy your researching

Kai Thomsen

Thank you Richard :)

Sorry for the late answer, i have been quite busy at work, but i also spent some time on google searching for more info on these big tandem engines..maybe it's just me.. but they really caught my interest.

I found a book on the net called Audels Gas engines, which has some pictures of similar engines, i just wish there were more detailed info and drawings of them and how all the parts work.