MikeWW

K181 Full Throttle

MikeWW

My 1966/67 K181S runs at full RPM's when throttle is at minimum. Also the engine RPM's do not slow when going downhill. Do I have a governor problem or something else? Thanks

Mikeww

Edited by MikeWW

rmaynard

Sounds like a governor issue. Can you post some pictures of how you have the governor/throttle set up?

MikeWW

Here are the pics for "Full" and "No" throttle

Thx,

Mikeww

post-12952-0-71332400-1398890659.png

post-12952-0-91843500-1398890677.png

post-12952-0-21681100-1398890698.png

post-12952-0-41552900-1398890724.png

post-12952-0-75155600-1398890742.png

post-12952-0-74266800-1398890756.png

rmaynard

Is this a recent problem, or has it been ongoing?

From what I can see, it looks like the governor setup is correct.

When you are in the no throttle position, is the idle speed screw against the throttle stop?

post-2221-0-13609100-1398892319.jpg

When you go between no throttle and full throttle, is there any change in speed?

Have you had the carburetor off to inspect the throttle?

Sounds like the throttle plate is not closing.

buckrancher

tab may be broken on the gov. shaft in crankcase

MikeWW

"When you are in the no throttle position, is the idle speed screw against the throttle stop?" Yes.

"When you go between no throttle and full throttle, is there any change in speed?" Yes. In fact when the throttle is pulled 1/4 inch out, the engine is at high RPM's. That's the problem.

"Have you had the carburetor off to inspect the throttle? No.

Your thoughts?

Mikeww

rmaynard

So if I understand you correctly, when you pull the throttle cable out 1/4", the throttle on the carburetor opens all the way? If that is the case, the governor is not holding it back. You need to check the governor for correct operation.

Loosen the bolt that tightens the governor arm to the cross shaft.

post-2221-0-05565000-1398901966.png

Try rotating the cross shaft. It should not rotate more than about 1/8 of a turn. If it does rotate freely, you probably have a broken tab on the shaft as buckrancher said, which will require engine disassembly to repair. If it only rotates a little, then readjust the governor by following the procedure described in the Kohler manual. If you don't have a manual, you can download it here.

WHX??

Just had to dig this one out of the cellar for some closure on it. I know you were losing sleep Bob @rmaynard if you solved the gents problem. :lol:

Rest easy you did but Brian @buckrancher did also He did have the manuals you instructed him to down load.

I recently acquired the 856 mentioned in this thread at auction, more on that and pics in another thread when I get her home.

With my score came a box of stuff with this guys name on many receipts including one from a long defunct dealer who replaced the gov shaft and other internals.

Other hand written  notes led me to believe he was once a member here and further sleuthing and help from the member map led me to this thread. The dates on the receipts  follow a timeline that coincides with the dates on this thread. 

Small world ain't  it & funny  how  :wh: & :rs:goes hand in hand! 

I have no idea why this is in transmissions! 

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 3