Bowmard

Tapered Roller Bearing Conversion For Wheel Horse Tractors?

Bowmard

In addition to Wheel Horse tractors I've long been a user of Simplicity lawn tractors.  I've noticed that the adjustable tapered roller bearings found in the front wheels of older 1960s and 1970s vintage Simplicity and equivalent Allis-Chalmers tractors are much better than the non-adjustable roller bearings and bushing found in many other tractors including Wheel Horse.   

In my garage is a Simplicity 3210V tractor that is being used as a parts source for a 3210V restoration.   I am thinking seriously about swapping the front wheels and bearings on my Wheel Horse C-145.  I believe the spindle diameter on both tractors is 0.750"  so it should work.  The Simplicity bearing setup uses a collar with set screw to set the bearing clearance with is much better than trying to fumble around using shims to adjust wheel endplay.

An additional benefit is that the often lost and overpriced Wheel Horse plastic spindle caps are replaced with steel caps like those used on cars and trucks.  Bearing life will increase because of reduced dirt contamination. 

Granted, the Simplicity wheel is slightly different than the Wheel Horse wheel in that it has no grease zerk.  It might be an issue with purists on the show circuit but it makes sense for those of us that use these tractors everyday to strive for decreased maintenance, increased dependability and reduced cost.

Has anyone else done this or thought about doing this?

redrooster

I say go for it. You can't deny better quality!

cleat

Later 520 with the swept axle has the bearings you want. You will need the axle, spindles, and wheels for this conversion then you just need to make your tie rod ends work.

Cleat