Sign in to follow this  
kpinnc

Saw my first Top Fuel drag today!

kpinnc

Well, I complain sometimes about my speakers not working here on the old desktop. Tonight, it dosen't matter... :omg: I can't hear a thing, and I wore earplugs all day long!

This weekend was the grand opening of the Z-Max Dragstrip in Concord, NC. My FIL and I went to go check it out, as he is an avid fan of the Pro Stock class.

Living close to, and working full time in Concord, has allowed me to watch more NASCAR races at Lowe's Motor Speedway than I think any single human should get to see in a lifetime. My wife's family has lived around most of the "big shots" thier whole lives, and not much gets them excited over any motorsports anymore. Heck, when you go out to eat on Friday night, and you're sitting next to the Wallace crowd, or the Waltrips, or the Earnhadt family, I guess you just get used to it. Well, not anymore.

My FIL has always liked drag racing. Now he can sit on his back steps and listen to the cars making the runs. Today, we sat on the starting line.

I spent 13 years in the military. I've heard things that are loud before. But, I have never FELT things shake the very ground like a Top Fuel Dragster or Funny Car. To say the least, it was quite the experience. I was, and am still, in awe over the raw power required to send a Dragster to 310 MPH in 3.8 seconds covering only 1000ft. I really can't find the words to describe it if you haven't seen it already... :USA:

Like my FIL, I think the Pro Stock class has the best actual race, but those Top Fuel cars, to bring up an oldie here on RS, are completely :banghead:

I didn't take any pics, mainly because I don't think my camera is fast enough to catch it. But, the coverage on ESPN was great... :thumbs:

I'm not a fan by any means, but if you ever get a chance to go to one of these races, I suggest you go. The experience is really something!

And DO NOT forget your earplugs!!!!!!!

Kevin

kj4kicks

I just KNEW you'd have a great time there gator!

I was lucky enough to be at the Keystone Nationals several years ago when the 300 mph barrier went down.

It definetely will put twitches in your briches when they launch off the line.

bustedglass

Hi Kevin,

I know what you mean. I live in Paducah, KY. now, but I moved here from Joliet, IL., just about 1 mile from Rt. 66 Drag Raceway, where the Nationals are held every June, and Chicagoland Speedway, where Nascar has an event every August, and they also have Indy Car Racing there 2 or 3 times year.

Talk about a racing fans dream :banghead: . About the fastest thing that moves down here in KY., is my Wheel Horse, when I let it out of the barn, and give it free rein :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: ...

kpinnc

It definetely will put twitches in your briches when they launch off the line.

I am NOT joking at all here: 30 minutes after we left, my feet were still tingling. The Grandstands SHOOK that much when they launched!

As I understand it, a common injury for the drivers is when the Gs cause their retinas to pull away from the lining of thier eyes.... 6+ Gs!

Air Force guys use G suits to combat that stuff.... :banghead:

Kevin

KyBlue

Hi Kevin,

I know what you mean. I live in Paducah, KY. now, but I moved here from Joliet, IL., just about 1 mile from Rt. 66 Drag Raceway, where the Nationals are held every June, and Chicagoland Speedway, where Nascar has an event every August, and they also have Indy Car Racing there 2 or 3 times year.

Talk about a racing fans dream :banghead: . About the fastest thing that moves down here in KY., is my Wheel Horse, when I let it out of the barn, and give it free rein :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: ...

Bah you just need to goto the east a bit over to Beach Bend Raceway Park in bowling green ... Youll find more drag events than you can shake a stick at!

Brrly1

Okay, Okay You guys want to talk about Drag strips, I have been to some of the finest. Have any of you ever heard of Orange County Raceway in Irvine, Calif. Pomona Raceway in Pomona, Calif. or even Ontario Motor Speedway in Ontario, Calif. I was even at the last drag race held at Irwindale Speedway in Irwindale, Calif. and watched Don "Big Daddy" Garlits kick Shirley Muldowney's butt 2 out of three in the final race at that speedway as Miller Beer was expanding its facility. I was at many of the Fox Hunts that they used to have at OCIR and I had seen several Winter Nationals at Ontario before they tore it down to build a mall and even seen a few of them at the Pomona Speedway. of course I got to meet people like Don Garlits, Shirley Muldowney, John Force, Bill "Grumpy Jenkins" just to name a few. They were a whole lot of fun. Just thinking about the methane and the rubber burning sends chills. See ya Burly :banghead::USA: :omg:

linen beige

Bah you just need to goto the east a bit over to Beach Bend Raceway Park in bowling green ... Youll find more drag events than you can shake a stick at!

I'll second that! :banghead:

bowtieguy

So you MOTORHEADS do like stuff besides Wheel Horses, huh.....thought maybe I was the only "odd ball" in the crowd.....I've was at the Topeka Ks track for several years and saw the first 300 mph run there....thanks to a great buddy of mine, guess where we sat?....in the AC suite on the second floor tower above the starting line....nice seats with plenty to eat and drink and rub elbows with drivers when they lost a race (they came up to the suite and talked racin' with ya)...now for the noise....maybe that is the reason I wear a hearing devise today, HUH, wat did ya say????......

You should see how much the windows in the suite bow inward when the funny cars light up

But time has taken its toll and now I'm content on watchin' the drags on TV...but I did get to drive my ole Ford street rod around the new Kansas Sweedway when the Goodguys event came to KC a few years ago.....got a pic of me slidin' around turn 3 at about 200 mph...uh, I think it was about that fast!!!.....naw, they only let 40 rods run the track behind a pace car doing about 60 mph.....now ya know why my internet ID is BOWTIEGUY...yep got a Chevy in the ole Ford.....hummm, wonder if anyone has put a small block in a WHEEL HORSE???? :banghead:

KyBlue

If its got a motor... it holds my interest! Cant be too into the bow ties thou, they give me a rash haha

perry

If its got a motor... it holds my interest!

yep been down the track a few times myself just for fun in the mustang. love watching the street car shoot-outs, but there aint nothing like them top fuel boys :banghead: .