Jparkes43

Anyone ever made a Strimmer bike

Jparkes43

Well I have only just seen a video of it and I know I'm not the first to come up with the idea but I love the idea and want to do it, luckily I have a old bike to use and a Strimmer problem is my dad won't give it up so at the moment I'm just trying to prize it out of his hands.

Has anyone ever done this and can give me some tips

James

Charlie Smith

Only tip I can give you is.... Sounds interesting and dangerous at the same time be careful... Oh sod it go for it! ;) ..... Where did you see the video? I'd quite like to see it,

• Like 1

Jparkes43

Only tip I can give you is.... Sounds interesting and dangerous at the same time be careful... Oh sod it go for it! ;) ..... Where did you see the video? I'd quite like to see it,

Search YouTube for weedeater bike there is loads of people doing it.

I soppose it could be dangerous so I will wear appropriate clothing

James

Charlie Smith

Ohhhh now I see, I thought it was a frankinmachine like that cut the grass, I guess it's just like a powered push bike then? Doesn't seem a bad idea..... This is what I thought you meant Ahaha!post-9595-0-99948800-1395006306_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Jparkes43

Ohhhh now I see, I thought it was a frankinmachine like that cut the grass, I guess it's just like a powered push bike then? Doesn't seem a bad idea..... This is what I thought you meant Ahaha!attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Looks a bit complex?

James.

Anglo Traction

James, if you haven't already done it,  Google-  Bicycle Engine , it will give you a multitude of results covering modern day options

If you put the word Vintage in front of the above, it will show you the options that were around in the mid 20th century.

I remember my Father having one on his bike in the 1950s before he could afford a Car.

Most were/are direct 'Friction Drive' on the Tyre(Tire). There are also petrol engined Skateboards. 

Let us know what you get around to producing and take some pics.

Jparkes43

James, if you haven't already done it,  Google-  Bicycle Engine , it will give you a multitude of results covering modern day options

If you put the word Vintage in front of the above, it will show you the options that were around in the mid 20th century.

I remember my Father having one on his bike in the 1950s before he could afford a Car.

Most were/are direct 'Friction Drive' on the Tyre(Tire). There are also petrol engined Skateboards. 

Let us know what you get around to producing and take some pics.

Thank you for the input, I will let you know on progress ASAP

James

Jparkes43

bidding on a strummer right now to use on the bike.

it just needs a service by the looks of it as it has a bad idle.

will let you know if/when we win it.

James 

Jparkes43

We won!!

Now got to go and pick it up

Jparkes43

Attached is two photos, some of another guys project and one of my engine (from that eBay listing not my own)

post-12410-0-08983800-1395259265_thumb.j

post-12410-0-04350100-1395259325_thumb.j

Jparkes43

Update got the engine and my bike prepared. Just need to mount them together

James

post-12410-0-56378700-1395820710_thumb.j

post-12410-0-50758200-1395820742_thumb.j

wheeledhorseman

This is going to be fun to see!

• Like 1

Jparkes43

This is going to be fun to see!

Sure is Andy

James

Anglo Traction

Yep ! , I'm watching too :handgestures-thumbup:  .........I homed straight in on that Motor & Flywheel, Motor look's the same as in my Ryobi Brushcutter, and the Flywheel look's just like the one in my 1971 Poulan Chainsaw !!. :techie-eureka:  

• Like 1

Jparkes43

Yep ! , I'm watching too :handgestures-thumbup:  .........I homed straight in on that Motor & Flywheel, Motor look's the same as in my Ryobi Brushcutter, and the Flywheel look's just like the one in my 1971 Poulan Chainsaw !!. :techie-eureka:

Oh sorry forgot to mention the one I brought on ebay was dead it needed a new ignition module and they don't sell those so it is a ryobi 25 cc strimmer

Jparkes43
hello everyone, first of all sorry for not updating in a while i have been very busy with other things (mainly school).

Got the engine mounted to the bike late yesterday and I'm very happy, but i am still to hook up the throttle cable or to actually test it so hopefully that will happen soon and an update will follow. 

Jparkes43

hey guys not much of an update really but got it running with the wheels turning and it accelerating, but the problem is as soon as you sit on it the engine cuts out, so its time for a diagnosis 

James 

• Like 1

Jparkes43

Very exciting guys as I have solved the stalling problem all you have to do is give it a bit of throttle amd runs with it for a bit, video coming as soon as I can find a decent stretch of area that is dry as the only dry thing is my patio which isn't long enough for a proper test. Will probably take it down to my local park.

James

Navig8r

Good work!!  Seems like a cool idea!

Seems like it would do better with a clutch... most straight shaft trimmers have a centrifugal clutch, not sure of any curved shaft models that do....

• Like 1

Jparkes43

Good work!!  Seems like a cool idea!

Seems like it would do better with a clutch... most straight shaft trimmers have a centrifugal clutch, not sure of any curved shaft models that do....

i did come with a clutch but the problem of that is the shaft that comes out of the clutch is too flimsy to hold the pressure you need to put on the tyre so it works fine but o well (mine was curved shaft)

james 

Edited by Jparkes43

AMC RULES

OK...now I want one.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

• Like 1

Jparkes43

OK...now I want one.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Thanks 

you could either make one or pay me! :razz: (its fairly easy to make)

James 

Edited by Jparkes43
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

The  :wh: projects have priority...neat idea though.

Have fun, be safe, wear a helmet on your tater.   :)  

• Like 1

Jparkes43

The  :wh: projects have priority...neat idea though.

Have fun, be safe, wear a helmet on your tater.   :)  

yes of coarse the wheel horses are very high priority but i just saw thees videos and had to have one so i was juggling wheel horse and bikes!!!

james 

Edited by Jparkes43

Jparkes43

First ride of the strimmer bike!!!!!

Not going to fast first of all then going slightly faster for a bit, works nice once the friction drive gets grip and the engine gets in its power band its like whooooooaaaaaaaaa!!! (friction drive kicked in yo!) ((Honda reference)

I'm going some time to a huge field near me and people take there bikes there all the time so ill see you then, meanwhile enjoy this little 1 minute video.

James 

• Like 1