Docwheelhorse

Old drag racinng video clip....

Docwheelhorse

Next to the Wheel Horse hobby cars are my favorite.... it just takes too much cash. If and when I ever get "rich" I will have a whole garage full of this stuff.

P.S.---this video shows why automatics are for old people ! :ychain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y86joSmEDNs

Tony

flyovrcntry

I had a friend who had a 62 vette that he put a 427 in.I went for a ride with him and when he hit second gear it lifted the front wheels.About that time there was a pop under the hood,he stopped and found a broken fan belt.Now my friend wore coke bottles,he couldn't see 100 ft in front of him.I said that's fine I am never getting in this car with you again,LOL.That was the big test then,see if you could lift the front wheels off the ground.

Coadster32

I've been driving stick my whole life, and still do in my truck. Very happy my newer to me 79 Camaro has a turbo400 in it. I know...a slush-box, but I'm tired of clutching. It is manual valve body, so I get to keep my shift points without having to clutch, (Still get rubber out of 2nd gear no problem). Really freaking cool to slam a full power shift @ 5500 w/o clutching. :icecream:     Just my $.02

Ken B

You and me are on the same page Tony... Love that video. Did you know **** Landy never smoked a cigar in his life? I had all kinds of muscle cars back in the day. I took it for granted that I'd always have one. I don't know which one I miss the most,  probably the 69 440 Charger or 69 SS Chevelle. When my Chevelle had the small block with two fours there was nitrous on it and I was running an automatic. It would chirp when hitting second and third gear. Fun also but not the same. When that engine blew a built big block went back in as well as the original M-22 4 speed. So much more fun!

My father in law was a BIG TIME racer back in the day. Many a time he was pitted next to Ronnie Sox, **** Landy or one of the other big names. I thought you might like this pic of his 68 Chevy II with big block power and a 4 speed. There was a big time race at a track in PA. and all the big names were going to be there, to get in some of the guys heads the old man mounted the holley carbs backwards on his big block. It took quite a bit of work to do that, no advantage to it other than too screw with guys...The old man loved to get into guys heads, he told me that was half the battle. He was a B/MP record holder for a few yrs. I think his best time was a 10.30 at 133 mph. Pretty impressive for running a 4 speed and with the tire technology etc. they had back in the day..

ScannedImage-15-1.jpg

Zeek

Wingtip shoes and cigars, doesn't get any better than that  :auto-driving: 

I miss my 69 Nova  . . . 

Nova_zps647eee80.jpg

VinsRJ

I think the real moral of that vid is how those guys were real men... open face helmets, cigars and a lap harness...

Make todays cars/drivers look like chumps IMO.

Ed Kennell

I'm one of those "Old People" that needs an auto now Tony. But that old video brings back some memories.

In the sixties, while working summers on construction , I roomed with Paul Draubaugh . 

Paul  drove the Old Reliable at US 30 Drag a Way on Sat. nights. He drove the Chevy  all week where the front wheels where  often lifted off the streets in 

York, then  we took it in to  Ammon R  Smiths Chevy on Sat.  morning to be rebuilt for the drags that night.

A few years later,   Paul  married a York girl,  and her brother (Dave Strickler) took over driving the "Old  Reliable".

And now you know....the rest of the story.

Edited by ekennell

RMCIII

Not sure what I like more, nostalgic 1/4 mile track cars, or nostalgic pulling trucks....Enjoy them both so much it's hard to seperate them....The smell of the high octane would get you just a high...LOL....All time favorite truck....of course HOLMAN BROS...4 PLAY..They have been in the game since 1985, way to many accomplishments to even start to list for them....