jakeC-121

C-121 rescue :)

jakeC-121

Hi there in new to the forum. Rescued my first WH from nasty scottish weather. Its been out there for some time but when I got her home she started with a new battery and petrol. But there are some problems. I have to hold the throttle and it does not like idling. If I can get it to do both I think I can go ahead with my plan to mount an oil pump to work a log spliter.

Thanks

• Like 3

groundhog47

:text-merryxmas::occasion-snowman::text-happynewyear: :WRS:and please let us know what you come up with. Have been milling around with some sort of ancillary hydraulic unit. If you get a chance look in "Use Full Editor" angdgive us a look see please, Thanks!

Edited by groundhog47

jakeC-121

I have put a pic up of me testing it. Have started the process of taking her to bits. Found red paint flakes in fuel tank? Really won't be helping the revs. This has made me worry about its fuel pump. Do you think it would worth taking and cleaning as I plan to do the carb to. Also where is a good place to find a manual? Thanks.

Sparky

Also where is a good place to find a manual? Thanks.

Right here on Redsquare........ http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/

Your tractor could only be a 1978 or 1979.

Mike........

jakeC-121

Thanks mike I'm on my phone at the moment will look when I'm back on my pc. I was having a look threw the gallery today and I must say when there all shiny they look grate! might try with my novice skills to slowly restore my one its all there apart from the deck which will properly prove hard to find :(

GlenPettit

Should be a small fine wire filter in the bottom of your fuel tank, (inside top part of the valve) that should have caught any flakes.  Probably has, or should have, an in-line paper fuel filter too, replace that every few years.  If it started and ran OK, then the Carb, is OK, -- otherwise, it's a good idea to clean the "gum" out of it before running.

Welcome to Red Square!

Edited by GlenPettit

jakeC-121

I'd did start and run but not well from what I can see the mesh is gone and previous owner didn't put inline filter on it. Going to het one and new pipe to. also has striped positive pin on the coil that's bodged together but not holding well. I'm thinking of using a small crocodile clip?

AMC RULES

:wwp:      :)

:WRS:

jakeC-121

testing how good they go offroad.... be for i realised what i have 

will get some close up shots asap :)

• Like 3

Sparky

Beautiful countryside....love those stone walls along the roads.

Off-roading is fun, been there-done that!

Mike.......

jakeC-121

So do I its my family farm in the background :)

AMC RULES

:text-coolphotos:         :)         :text-thankyouyellow:

jakeC-121

No problem I had loads of fun while getting them pics and defiantly got £20 of fun on that day :D

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

i enjoyed the pics. Your family farm land is beautiful. Have you removed the bowl (on the bottom) of the carburator to give it and the float a good cleaning? Use a small brass bristled parts cleaner brush to clean the bowl and float. Clean the needle and seat too. Also while the carburator is apart, spray everything clean using a can of "Brakecleaner". You do not have to take the carburator off the engine to perform that cleaning. Also remove the low speed and high speed adjustment screws and clean them and also those passages in the carburator.

This should be all you need to do to get the carburator back to good shape.

Note*  Check the throttle shart for excessive wear. If you can wiggle the shaft around, the carburator will need to be removed and a new bushing installed. Reason being too much air is being pulled through the carburator there causing the engine to run too lean. You will not be able to adjust the carburator properly.

• Like 1

jakeC-121

thank you i do love this land :) it has a split in the rubber bung for the fuel tap its not all the way threw but its easily halfway and fuel line is badly perished. i think its been pulling air from there too. going to go back outside to do some more work on it will get some more pics for you guys :)

jakeC-121

Wheel-N-It you where right! loads of play on that shaft! now to try and find the bits  :eusa-think:

Wheel-N-It

Are there any machine shops where you live that are able to put a brass bushing in the carb body? You really need to have that tightened up or the carb will never be right! You will be surprised how much better the engine will run with a good carb on it.

• Like 1

jakeC-121

i think im going to take it off and go see what the local shops have got. thanks for pointing that out to me

• Like 1

Ken B

Beautiful property you have there! :)

• Like 1

Stormin

Nice playground Jake. Where abouts are you?

Anglo Traction

Belated welcome Jake, Only just found your Thread on here. Hope you find all the bits you need.

As has already been said, when the whole Fuel system has had a good overhaul and a tune up, it will run and sound a whole better.

Look forward to more pics. PS if you have any probs with parts, post a Thread in Euro Horse Forum here and I'll see what I can sort for you.

Regards

• Like 1

meadowfield

Jake,

Welcome to redsquare, come and say hello in the euro section. Second the others, clean the pump, carb, etc it's always worthwhile.

Whereabouts in Scotland are you?

Mark

• Like 1

jakeC-121

to everyone  im in south-west Scotland near Dumfries. im going to do all the fuel line i think. as i said befor there is flakes of paint in the tank and when i took pump off they where there too so it has to get a full clean out carb to tank. 

Edited by jakeC-121

Stormin

Your not far from me Jake as the crow flies.  I'm just over the Solway outside Silloth. We've a caravan at Hoddom. I used to do 4x4 events over there with the Ae 4x4 club.

Put yourself on the member map.

Edited by Stormin

meadowfield

I've some good friends near dumfries, and have had some good holidays down at Kirkcudbright and Gatehouse.

Great area!