Sign in to follow this  
rustbucket

learning to not say anything

rustbucket

well i may have gone and blown the 400 dollar deal for the 754 and its 1 blade plow and disc harrow by asking to many questions today over the phone.

he asked me why i was asking to many questions and then said hmm if i have a "rare" machine i want more for it now. :banghead::USA: he quoted me 400 and i havent even seen the machine to see if it is even worth the 400 he is asking for all i know yes it could be a 754 but it also could be a pile of scrap with 754 tags on it and right now i have my hands full with 5 project tractors to redo for the show next year im not looking to add number 6 to the project list just yet.

kj4kicks

Better to ask a few general questions, then let your eyes be your guide.

Foot tastes terrible :banghead:

Teddy da Bear

There is no such thing as asking too many questions.

It sounds like just circumstances.....

I asked quite a few questions and got what sounded like legitimate answers when I bought my A-800 Ranger. I found out later the p.o. goofed up the

wiring and lied about the carb rebuild.

Never too many questions......just too few honest answers.

TT

There is no such thing as asking too many questions.

There is if you ask the seller this one : "Did you know that there were only 421 of those tractors produced and that they are quite rare?" !

Brrly1

Hey TT Well it doesn't look like he is going to make it to the collector status quite yet!!! All this talking is probably scaring him away from becoming an actual collector. See Ya Burly :banghead::USA: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay:

combatmp29r

There is if you ask the seller this one : "Did you know that there were only 421 of those tractors produced and that they are quite rare?" !

:banghead: TT

I'm with Eldon here. I ask only the really important stuff by email or phone. Does it run, whats the model #, what comes with it etc. Then I wait till I can see it to decide the rest. You will get alot of yeah its in great shape then go see it and its a rustbucket. No pun intended Jason. You can't be afraid to tell them its not worth the price to you either. Yes its nice to save horses, but not worth spending the whole horse fund just because they are threatening scrappin a junker.

rustbucket

in my own i am a collector i have 6 sitting in the garage right now 3 mine mine and 3 my dads but a collective collection i will go see the horse and if it is as he says and in the condition im expecting for the money then ill get it. if it looks like S then well im going to haggel away and i will listen to it run and even drive it if i have to to make sure it is in the supposed"restored" condition its claimed to be.

Kelly

Never ask to many questions, just enough to tell if you should go look, let your eye's and ears answer the questions.

Then I put money in 2 pockets, one the amount I'm going to offer, then in the other the balance, of the amount they are asking, you don't want to pull out a big wad of cash and only give them a little, can make a deal go bad.

pond195520032003

Kelly, have done that lots of times and does work :USA: also have gave some money to my brother to hold, and would be like i was borrowing it :banghead:

Kelly

also have gave some money to my brother to hold, and would be like i was borrowing it

Done the same here. :banghead:

linen beige

I've never had a seller tell me I asked too many questions. If one did I would wonder what he didn't want me to know.