oldlineman

1979 c-101 8 speed transmission

oldlineman

I had the shiftier pull out of my tranny while pushing snow today. The screw that holds it in broke and the small piece in the tranny worked out far enough so that the shiftier pulled out of the tranny. I got the small piece of bolt out but am having a hard time getting the shiftier back in place. Is there a trick to getting this. Will have to get a new bolt at WH dealer.Any help from the experts will be appreciated. Need my horse back in service for the snow that is sure to come to western Pa.  Any info on adjusting the shifter screw would also be appreciated. Thanks    

Edited by oldlineman

rmaynard

Both shift forks need to be lined up properly before inserting the shifter back into the hole. Check this post.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1

oldlineman

Thank you rmaynard those pictures where great, I think I will have to pull the fender pan so I can see into the tranny to line up the forkes. This is a great place to get excellent info and great support. I will get the bolt and get her back to what she likes pushing snow. Thanks again 

rmaynard

Don't forget to get a new shifter boot if yours is bad. Little preventive maintenance goes a long way.

oldlineman

Thank you again, I replaced it several years ago it still looks good this tractor I had from new and has been nothing but a dream. Have a 89 414-8 also would own nothing but a Horse! Glad I ran into this form I do have some mechanic skills but the experience from other guys helps. Have a great and safe Holiday, MERRY CHRISTMAS ! 

rmaynard

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

JC 1965

Glad to see Bob was able to give you the help you needed. I see that you are fairly new here so  :WRS:

oldlineman

I got the set screw today at the WH dealer and the horse is back to work plowing snow. Thank you to all those that sent pics or advice, I will put a new boot on the shifter rod good advice to prevent future problems. Thanks again great forum!  oneoldlineman