Uncle Buck

8hp fuel pump issue

Uncle Buck

I have an 857 horse that needs a fuel pump. The engine is the original 8hp Kohler. The tractor came to me that way so I do not have the original fuel pump either. I know that fuel pumps are no longer available as well. I was wondering if anyone knows if an electric fuel pump is a possible option?

I suspect an electrical fuel pump would actually deliver too much fuel under pressure and flood out the carb. Am I correct in this assumption?

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Uncle Buck

rmaynard

Try contacting buckrancher. He may have a good working mechanical one you can buy.

• Like 1

Uncle Buck

Man I love this place, thanks a lot!

squonk

I use a electric pump on my C-160 with no problems

• Like 1

Uncle Buck

I use a electric pump on my C-160 with no problems

An automotive type?

bowtieguy

Herb...NAPA part number 610-1051....called a POSI-FLO fuel pump...1.5 to 4 PSI...I have a couple and they work well....

• Like 1

Uncle Buck

Herb...NAPA part number 610-1051....called a POSI-FLO fuel pump...1.5 to 4 PSI...I have a couple and they work well....

Thanks so much Frank. Really looking forward to getting that plow mounted to my rig. I want to get this fuel pump sorted out first though. So is that an electric fuel pump Frank?

BTW: I really lucked out, BIL's repo buddy towed that truck back to Topeka for nothing! That helped a bunch and was a real help for sure. I owe that ol boy too!

Edited by Uncle Buck

squonk

Here you go.

• Like 1

MalMac

Unless you are dead set on a electric pump, there are aftermarket pumps for that motor.

• Like 1

wallfish

Isn't the fuel tank above the carb in an 857?

Going forward up a steep hill could be an issue without a pump.

• Like 1

TT

I don't have pics of any that I've converted, but I have used a modern B&S pulse pump on a few.

You can buy or make a fuel pump block-off plate, drill a hole in it, and add a 1/4" barbed fitting to the center for the pulse line.

OEM block-off plate:

fuelpumpplate003.jpg

Purchase and install a B&S style pulse pump like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/390601028608

One additional 1/4" hose is all that's needed. No wires to worry about and it will even work on tractors that don't have a battery.

The plastic pumps are so light that you can zip tie them to anything that will hold them or you can fab up a mounting bracket.

• Like 2

Uncle Buck

Unless you are dead set on a electric pump, there are aftermarket pumps for that motor.

Actually I am not dead set on one particular answer at all. If there is clearly one best option then that would be my likely choice. More than anything I am looking for reliability since this machine will be a worker. I will need good cold weather starting ability. Please offer your ideas as well, the more the merrier!

Isn't the fuel tank above the carb in an 857?

Going forward up a steep hill could be an issue without a pump.

Yes, you are correct in what you say. I don't want to gravity feed this thing.

squonk

I've had fuel pump issues on 3 different Kohlers. 1 I rebuilt, another I replaced with a plastic body one and the third electric conversion. All work well. I like the electric because if I run out of fuel it will prime the line in seconds. I have one tractor with the rear tank and the original pump. When that pump fails I will install electric on that.

• Like 1