rydogg

needing some furnace suggestions

rydogg

Our home furnace is over 20yrs old and giving us problems as it did last year I managed to get it working again with the help of a hammer but I don't expect it to last through the winter.  I am looking for suggestions as to what brand/type to get, we currently have an 80,000btu single stage but nowdays there are so many choices I have already voted against the new modulating furnaces due to the repair costs if something goes wrong after the warranty is up.  Looking for something in a 2 stage gas valve with variable speed fan, 95 percent or more efficient.

roscoemi

Have you thought about a pellet stove? :eusa-think:

rydogg

maybe as a secondary heating method but I would prefer a gas furnace as our primary

KC9KAS

Maybe talk to the local gas company (or LP service) to see what types they suggest.

Good luck....I know what you are talking about with so many different designs and options....What's a guy to do!

MalMac

We replace are heating and air conditioning about 5 years ago. The heating and air guy that I use is in business for himself he's a third generation and knows his stuff. I went to him and ask, because he's the guy who works on them for a living and knew what was good and what was junk. He told me the different brands of what I should consider and he sold several brands as a independent. So through some study of pluses and minuses and his help we put in a Luxaire system. Not a cheap system by any means but a good one that is quality made, In his business of repairing he told me that of all they systems out there this one is one that requires less maintains than most. I know there are systems out there that are not worth bring home and I am sure there are ones that may be better than mine. So far I am real happy with what I got. Do your homework and check with repair guys in your area not just people that sell them but the actual guys that get called out in the middle of the night to repair a furnace that's not working, They know what to stay away from and what works.

• Like 1

squonk

A lot of the furnaces are basically the same as far as quality so to me the brand doesn't matter much. As the efficiency goes up the units become more finicky and installation is critical. I would check around the local heating contractors and find out who has the best reputation and have them come out and give you some options.

VinsRJ

A lot of the furnaces are basically the same as far as quality so to me the brand doesn't matter much.

I partially agree with this statement... as for over all quality you are probably correct but, purchasing a slightly off beat brand could cause parts availability issues down the road.

• Like 1

stevebo

At my old house on the addition i had a propane forced hot air furnace for that addition and I had nothing but problems with it. Not sure what make it was tho. I have a good friend in the oil business and he says as far as forced hot air for an oil burning furnace nothing is better than thermopride. Not sure if they make propane burners?

Coadster32

I have a Dunkirk 5section boiler for the last 8 years w/o a problem. Natural gas/baseboard heat.

rydogg

maybe as a secondary heating method but I would prefer a gas furnace as our primary

This secondary heat source (pic below) was installed by the previous homeowner it is more or less just for looks/ambiance it uses propane and is nice on the cold evenings but not very efficient I have been thinking of putting a corn/pellet burner in place of this but they seem like a lot of maintenance.  Since the hearth and piping is already there it would save a lot of cost but I need to do some more research.  I will be putting a pellet/corn stove in my shop once I run out of wood from my small woods that I am getting cleaned up.

I got a few estimates today for another gas furnace 96 percent efficient 2 stage variable speed like I am looking for, best so far is $2,850 for everything installed.

Thanks for the link Doc I did read it and got some good helpful info. 

post-2337-0-77571700-1383240507_thumb.jp

squonk

A lot of the furnaces are basically the same as far as quality so to me the brand doesn't matter much.

I partially agree with this statement... as for over all quality you are probably correct but, purchasing a slightly off beat brand could cause parts availability issues down the road. that's why you buy from a reputable dealer and not your neighbor's brother in law. I work on the industrial side of HVACR. We have Trane, Dankin McQuay, Mitsubishi, Carrier with all different kind of controls on them. I even have 1 brand controlling another brand. All of it works the same and we know who to call when we need help. Do the homework and get the equipment from someone trustworty

Edited by squonk

roscoemi

I installed a pellet stove and it became the primary heat source for us. It's cheaper to run than natural gas, vac it out once a week is the maint on it. A ton of quality pellets is $180 a ton, 50 40lb bags, and burn a bag a day. No cold spots in the house with a box fan or two on the floor at the end of hallways blowing towards the burner, a good dry heat like a wood stove minus the work and mess. Just got another cheap for the shed, now I can work on my tractors in the dead of winter, and cure paint year round and not freeze my arse off.

shorts

We've got a 5year old energy star home with 90%+  gas forced air HVAC and it works as advertised, no complaints, but if I were to do it again I'm thinking that hot water radiant heat under the floor would be the answer. I installed the pex tubing in the basement floor and then opted not to use radiant heat due to the need for all of the duct work required for the central air.  If / when the furnace becomes a maintainence issue I will revisit the installation of tubing under the main floor and some sort of boiler or hot water heater to convert to radiant floor heat.  I have radiant overhead gas gun and tube heat in the shop and find the only negative is the need to wear a hat to protect my baldy head until the shop warms up to shirtsleeve temperature.