zanepetty

k161 governor

zanepetty

I made the decision two days ago to give my tractor a paint job. I'm taking lots of pictures and I'll hopefully post them on here soon. But my question is about the lever that has the small wire linkage that goes to the carb. I removed the lever off the little shaft and then I took the 3/4" nut off and tried to removed the shaft. Is whatever that's on the other side (inside the engine) supposed to be turned a certain way? I hope I didn't get anything out of adjustment :/

Edited by zanepetty

rmaynard

That shaft is the governor shaft. It doesn't come out without disassembling the engine. As long as you didn't try to twist it, and break off the flap that is attached to the other end, you should be alright. It only turn less then a 1/4 turn. Put the brass nut back on and tape it up for painting. When you assemble the engine after painting, be sure to follow the instructions in the manual for proper adjustment of the governor. If you don't do it correctly, your engine will surge or die under load.

zanepetty

It only turns a quarter turn when the nut is tight right? If the nut is all the way out it will turn on mine. But it ran fine before I took the engine out..

rmaynard

With the nut on, it should only turn less than a 1/4 turn. Without the nut you may get more play, but it should not be able to turn 360 degrees.

zanepetty

OK. I will make sure its right. Thanks so much, Bob. So far I have my engine primed And the belt guard and engine shroud stripped down to metal. Its a lot of work painting a tractor!

zanepetty

I checked my governor this morning and it was fine. I put the nut back in and tried to turn the shaft. It won't budge. I took the nut back out and tried to move it. Still no movement. What in the world could be wrong? I only tighted it up hand tight

WH nut

I checked my governor this morning and it was fine. I put the nut back in and tried to turn the shaft. It won't budge. I took the nut back out and tried to move it. Still no movement. What in the world could be wrong? I only tighted it up hand tight

Its misaligned. The end of the shaft sits in a pocket. Remove nut and pull out a little. Rotate all the way to the left and reinsert making sure to hit the pocket and its straight

zanepetty

Thank you . Do you think I damaged it??:/

WH nut

Doubt it

zanepetty

OK. I'm worried because I wrenched on it hard with my hand. But if its just a shaft with a gear on the back I guess I didn't damage it am I right?

rmaynard

Do you have a manual? Its always best to know what you are working with. The shaft does not have a gear on the end. It has a plate about 3/4" long riveted to it about 2" from the end you are working with. That plate is actuated by the pin that comes out of the center of the governor gear when the fly weights fly out by centrifugal force. That causes the pin to push that little plate and rotate the shaft in a clockwise direction. There should be nothing binding the shaft.

zanepetty

Well I have no clue what it could be and I'm stuck. I don't want to break anything but it will not move at all. And I've already started to paint. Am I going to have to tear the motor down? What should I do?

rmaynard

There is a Welch plug on the side of the block that you can remove. That should allow you to look in at the governor gear and see what the problem is.

zanepetty

OK. I'll try that, Bob. I really appreciate you guys helping me. I'll probably have more questions when I remove the screw but I'll start there.

zanepetty

I removed the Welch screw today and it freed my governor shaft right up!? I hope nothing is bent or broken off in the engine. What do you think guys?

rmaynard

Do you mean the Welch plug? There is no Welch screw. There is a screw with a copper washer that keeps the governor gear from falling off it's shaft. The Welch plug is a 7/8" diameter metal disk that sits in a recessed area just below the exhaust port. If you take it out, you can view the governor gear inside the engine.

Let me ask you again, do you have a manual? If not, please download one and read about the governor before you do something that is going to cause you a lot more work.

zanepetty

Oh OK. I did. But I took the screw out that's right next to the governor shaft. It fixed it. I don't know what I did..

zanepetty

why do you think it fixed my stuck governor shaft when I unscrewed that screw next to the governor shaft??

Edited by zanepetty

JimmyJam

It is important to do as Bob sez and download a manual!!! I made the same mistake as you did with my B-80 (K181s). In trying to remove the governor cross shaft I must have broken that "tab", UN-be noticed to me . After painting and reassembly, I could not control the high revving. I now have to have a guy tear down the complete engine to replace that governor cross shaft! (The only way to fix it)!!!

Edited by JimmyJam

rmaynard

If you remove the Welch plug, you should be able to see what got stuck and if any damage was done either to the cross shaft or the governor gear assembly. If the cross shaft is damaged you will have trouble down the road.

zanepetty

I've read my manual and I can't figure out what this screw is. This is what I took out and put back in and the governor shaft turned again. Also, what's the best way to remove the welch plug?

post-11334-0-27582800-1382885166_thumb.j

Edited by zanepetty

rmaynard

That is the retaining screw that keeps the governor gear from coming off the stub shaft.

A Welch plug is a domed disk that when hammered in the center spreads out to lock in place. You can pry it out with a flat screwdriver and a hammer. Get a new one to replace it. They are inexpensive if you don't get them from Kohler. Once it is out you will be looking at the center of the governor gear and the cross shaft plate will be right there in front of the gear.

rmaynard

That is the retaining screw that keeps the governor gear from coming off the stub shaft.

A Welch plug is a domed disk that when hammered in the center spreads out to lock in place. You can pry it out with a flat screwdriver and a hammer. Get a new one to replace it. They are inexpensive if you don't get them from Kohler. Once it is out you will be looking at the center of the governor gear and the cross shaft plate will be right there in front of the gear.

zanepetty

OK. Is that weird that it fixed it when I took that retaining screw out and put it back in?

rmaynard

Yes it is, because that should have had nothing to do with the cross-shaft binding.

Here is a drawing of the governor gear, looking from the bottom of the engine.

As you can see, the retaining screw is no where near the cross shaft.

post-2221-0-16443800-1382896581_thumb.jp

Edited by rmaynard