Sign in to follow this  
kpinnc

A terrible sight!

kpinnc

I went to the local scrapyard today. I had quite a bit of steel to get rid of. Couple old 4 cylinder engine blocks (frozen up solid) that had sat in the barn for years, couple old mowers I took engines from, etc... Most of the stuff was here when I moved here.

I've decided it's just a bad idea to look around while waiting on the scales. I saw two Wheel Horses in the biggest pile, though I couldn't tell exactly what they were for sure. One looked like a 300 series, and the other didn't have a hood. :P

Funny, it's always one or the other: Someone wants a rediculous price for an old tractor, or they just send them to the scrap heap.

I will never understand. I guess everyone lives in a disposable world. :D

Kevin

Curmudgeon

Next week, someone will be looking at the stuff you hauled in today and wonder why..............................................

Dale

Michcruiser60

I know, I have a trailer load right now and I'm thinking maybe I should try to sell some of it before I go. But there comes a point in time when starts to look bad and then it's gotta go.

kpinnc

Next week, someone will be looking at the stuff you hauled in today and wonder why..............................................

Dale, I doubt it, though it did cross my mind. :D I guess my post does seem a little hypocritical doesn't it?

Those engine blocks had been sitting on the ground for who knows how long, and they were almost solid rust. The heads were off of them, and had sat full of water for years. There was no fixing them. There was also a complete Ford 302 V8, but I did sell it for $50.

The old mowers were Dynamarks, and they were ALMOST garbage when I picked them up. Rotted decks, rotted tires, and rust. Not a problem when you're talking a Wheel Horse, but pretty bad for a vertical shaft, single purpose, Wal-mart lawnmower. I kept both engines, but the trannies were Peerless, and were both broken.

I stripped them of everything I could find that was useful, or salvageable, and piled the rest on my trailer. 1600 pounds per the scales at the scrap yard...

I'm a pack rat in the worst way. I have to force myself to clean out the shed every once in a while... :P Trust me, I've still got a bit of stuff left.

Besides, gotta make sure there's room for the next red tractor I find...

Kevin

Sparky

What kinda money is scrap metal like that bringin? I usually scrap copper wire and its around $1.50/lb unstripped to $3.00/lb stripped.

Mike....just curious

Nick

For me just hauling off pieces of scrap metal can be hard. I have to look at each piece to be sure it cant be bolted or welded into a project. And nothing makes my day more than when I dig through my somewhat sorted scrap pile and find that one piece that not only is the right size but might even has a hole in it so I dont have to drill one. :D

Last time I hauled in scrap it was $138 a ton for unsorted metal and iron or I think around $189 a ton if it has been sorted. At that time I hauled my brothers 11,000 pound D4 crawler in then we drove it off the trailer. Im sure someone might wonder why a complete dozer would be in a scrap yard but they gave more cash for it as scrap then anyone else would pay when it was ready to work.

Rollerman

I was actually thinking of dropping off scrap today also.

Rained here all day & a muddy scrap yard didn't sound very appealing.

I have a hard time hauling stuff off for scrap too.

But given the amount of storage space I have & tractors I have in it, I need to keep the shop clean.

So Nick ya think that dozer met it's fate, or still pushing dirt?

kpinnc

What kinda money is scrap metal like that bringin? I usually scrap copper wire and its around $1.50/lb unstripped to $3.00/lb stripped.

I'm guessing Nick is about right with the $138 a ton for unsorted. I dropped 1550 lbs today for about a hundred bucks.

Kevin

Nick

Stephen, I dont know they might use it to push junk around the scrap yard. It has a broken track tightner and has to be pull started but other than that it worked. When the tightner broke it was time for it to go and it was fun while we had it.

Surprising how much steel can be worth. This summer I cleaned just the garage floor and made $75. :D

Curmudgeon

7.5 cents a pound for steel last time I went. You do the math for by ton price.

Also, second to last time I went, I only took CRAP. Month later I realized there was something in that crap I NEEDED! I do hate cleaning up!!!!!!

Kevin, were those transaxles or transmissions you dropped off? If they were transmissions, specifically 700 series. DOH!!!!!

Dale

kpinnc

Kevin, were those transaxles or transmissions you dropped off? If they were transmissions, specifically 700 series. DOH!!!!!

No! Heck no!

I keep those Eatons. Even the bad ones. Most places that refurb them will knock about $150 off for one that is used as a trade in.

Kevin