Hodge71

Toro Paint options....

JCM

Thanks for the decal install tip. Have some to do this year to a few machines. I have mostly smaller decals to do. Good luck with yours and they look awesome by the way. :thumbs:

kpinnc

I don't want to be "that guy", but WH changed reds more than just old vs newer machines. 

The truth is, no one knows what color is Wheel Horse red on a given machine. There are very close matches, but even WH touch-up paint often didn't match some tractors. With documented color codes available, why would I say that?

IH red, or as close as he could get it- was what Elmer and Cecil Pond started with on the first tractors. It changed many times after that.

Wheel Horse was notorious for mixing and matching parts from one machine to another- and even creating new models just to use up a certain excess part inventory. There is no reason to think the paint choices were any different. If production were halted due to running out of paint, I feel certain what was available was what got used.

I've used Valspar, Dupont, Rust-Oleum, Ace IH red, and Krylon. I use paint with Hardener and a spray gun where I can, but a properly applied rattle can of Rust-Oleum is actually nice. 

One thing to note: measure hardener out correctly. Too much even by a little bit makes a brittle coat that chips like powder coat. 

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

Here’s a link to a thread with more than you probably want to know about WH paint…

• Like 2

Kevin Bowley

My 1995 520-H is finally getting close to completion of the restore. This machine was a disaster as it sat out in the weather, unused for three+ years and very likely was stored outside before it was parked.  I was told he was sure it would run with a bit of work.  When I got it home, I changed the oil out, drained the tank, put a few drops of MM oil in the spark plug holes, hooked up the jumpers and turned it over a few times over a 5 minute period.  Added some fresh gas, put a little down the carb and she fired right and purred like an Onan should, amazing.  On top of that, every idiot light and gauge functioned perfectly.  So here it is, a before and after shot.  Also, a big shoutout to @Vinylguy for the awesome decals. These were taken under crappy fluorescent lights and a really messy garage.:o  When I get it outside (soon as we get a sunny day) I will take a couple more.

IMG_20220426_172935.jpg

IMG_20220426_173132.jpg

20220426_170029.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1