Hodge71

Toro Paint options....

Hodge71

I hate to bring up the paint thing again but I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with a paint color other that OEM Toro for our post 1990 tractors. I have tried to sell my 1996 416 for awhile now and decided that I'm going to tear it down, fix the rust,  sand and prime everything and repaint it from top to bottom.. I went to the local Toro guy and he wants $21.60 plus a can for Toro paint in a rattle can. I'm thinking at least 4 rattle cans to do it right plus 1 semi flat black for accents and 2 pewter grey cans for the wheels. I dont want to spend 100 bucks for 4 cans of Toro red paint if I can get Valspar or Krylon....Any help with colors close to Toro red guys? 

Edited by hodge71

leeave96

I've had good luck with rustoleum sunrise red.

rmaynard

My first paint job on a B-100 took 15 cans of Krylon, plus primer, only to be sanded down and repainted with good acrylic urethane. Personally, I would not waste my money on the Toro paint. Spend your money on a good automotive paint. :twocents-twocents:

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 4

Kelly

I did a round hood with rust oleum regal red,little darker than the newer color, but I had about 10-12 cans at $4 a can, I could have for a little more sprayed it with cheap auto paint and had a better finish when done, use IH red and paint all of it, as long as it's all the same red who cares if it's a bit dark or light.

• Like 2

Wishin4a416

My first paint job on a B-100 took 15 cans of Kryon, plus primer, only to be sanded down and repainted with good acrylic urethane. Personally, I would not waste my money on the Toro paint. Spend your money on a good automotive paint. :twocents-twocents:

I have to agree with Bob. I am using Rustoleum on my 160 and wish I would have went automotive from the start. It looks good and flows good and drys good, but it also chips good. Wont take and abuse at all. Drop a wrench or socket and instant chip.

Digger 66

Closest I've found is Rustoleum Regal red .

I was in it more for the rust rehab & wasn't picky about the match as this is a worker rather than a resto .

Might be worth a look .

I did NOT paint the hood , but I did the belt guard , floorboards , deck & the fender .

two_zps92e48ebe.png

Edited by Digger 66

Pettybilt

I'm in the process of doing a 416 myself. I'm using regal red on the frame. For the sheet metal i was planning on using Dupont Nason urethane GM code 81. however at a  $175 for 2qts, plus thinner and  Catalysts, that i bit much for me.

At work i spray a fare amount of PPG pitthane ultra urethane. I'ts really tough industrial paint, lays down like car paint when thinned down enough,  and for 70 a gal, the price is not bad.  

If you are interested in the PPG paint it's sold at Porter paint stores,at least  in my area it is.

The nice thing about industrial paint is they use a standard color system called RAL color standard. 

RAL 3013 tomato red looks really close to me, and RAL 9001 cream looks like right if you plan on doing your wheels  like the old horses. 

RAL is also a standard for powder coat too, if you decide to get anything powder coated. 

I'll be spraying my wheels with RAL 9001 this week ,i'll post pics.

http://www.ralcolor.com/

Hodge71

Thanks for all the input guys but I was looking for post 1990 options with the darker red. I have no access to automotive paint gear or supplies and to be honest I refuse to invest $400 in good painting gear and supplies for a "lipstick on a pig" paint job just to get rid of this albatross Onan tractor. Everyone that bid on it or emailed about it has made some sort of derogatory comment about it being a POS $100 tractor and I was mentally deficient to think that my 416 was worth $400 because it had rust at the hood seam. So this is going to be a teardown of the sheet metal and tires/wheels, degrease the entire machine, fix the rust on the hood seam the correct way and prime and wet sand the machine and repaint it with rattle cans and its back on the market for more money. I see no reason to mess with a great running engine and a transmission and axles that are perfect and don't drip.

zanepetty

You have a good point. I'm new to wheel horses but I'm not new to painting. The automotive paints are much better as stated above. And IH red is a nice color. You would have probably over 100 bucks in a paint job if you shot it with a paint gun BUT a good paint gun can be had for 60-70 bucks and you could have it for other projects. I had one that sprayed GREAT for a long time. And IH red at tsc isn't that expensive. Just a thought.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

$400 for a 416 doesn't seem unreasonable to me.  The only way I can see it being worth $100 is if the engine was blown and it were being sold for parts.  Some people will say anything to try to knock down the price.  There was a thread recently with a lot of talk about Harbor Freight inexpensive sprayers that may be worth looking up.  They're always running sales on them and there's a 25% off coupon on slickdeals all the time too. http://slickdeals.net/f/1276399-Harbor-Freight-Coupon-Thread?

546cowboy

Harbor Freight almost always have a 20 oz. gun on sale for $12.99. I have two and they spray great. I use implement paint from a local farm store made by Van Sickle. I have used this paint on all my W/H's and farm tractors for about 6 or 7 years. I use the IH red on the horses. It is about $14 a quart and about $25 a gallon and I always use hardener which is a little pricey but it shines for years and doesn't chip very easy. It was about $30 for a pint of hardener but that will do a gallon of paint. The last time I bought automotive paint, I got a quart of primer, a quart of paint, hardener and thinner and that was over $100.

This is how most of mine turn out.

post-1334-0-02890800-1377507330_thumb.jp

Edited by 546cowboy

zanepetty

Hardener is worth every penny of the price. I painted one without it one time and it was dull in a month. BTW your tractor looks very slick.

Hardener is worth every penny. You don't want to paint with out it if you're not doing clear coat. I know from experience :/ BTW that's a slick looking tractor !

Hodge71

$400 for a 416 doesn't seem unreasonable to me.  The only way I can see it being worth $100 is if the engine was blown and it were being sold for parts.  Some people will say anything to try to knock down the price.  There was a thread recently with a lot of talk about Harbor Freight inexpensive sprayers that may be worth looking up.  They're always running sales on them and there's a 25% off coupon on slickdeals all the time too. http://slickdeals.net/f/1276399-Harbor-Freight-Coupon-Thread?

I didn't think it was unreasonable either. The Onan is one of the best running ones I have seen. It doesn't smoke or stumble and didn't blow any valve seats out of it. Its a good machine, I'm just a Kohler guy. If it doesn't sell I'll keep it and just use it with the Pow-R-Rake power dethatcher. It only gets used a couple times a year now that I have my C-160.

js5020

Heres my 16 Auto recently finished in regal red and a near new later Toro/Wheelhorse blower, the match isnt exact but close enough for the cost to me.

IMG_3172_zpse4b9e63e.jpg

Seems there are so many folks out there who are trying to make the steal of a lifetime by lowballing any and everything in hopes of being successful so they can make a buck.  If I didnt already have more iron than I need I probably would have visited your side of the river.

kenw520hc

tractor supply stores sold valspar restoration series paint and hardner, then for some reason they switched to some oil based version. the restoration series almost painted itself. it layed flat and really shined. the new version ,not as user friendly and after on the tractor about 5-7 days even with hardener. they sell a ready to spray clear, which really makes it shine and keeps it from dulling out in the sun. it is worth the extra trouble to me anyway it looks much better than rattle cans or plain old rusteolum. ih red seems to match very well. just something for thought it works for me. good luck :ychain::snooty::bow-blue:

rmaynard

tractor supply stores sold valspar restoration series paint and hardner, then for some reason they switched to some oil based version. the restoration series almost painted itself. it layed flat and really shined. the new version ,not as user friendly and after on the tractor about 5-7 days even with hardener. they sell a ready to spray clear, which really makes it shine and keeps it from dulling out in the sun. it is worth the extra trouble to me anyway it looks much better than rattle cans or plain old rusteolum. ih red seems to match very well. just something for thought it works for me. good luck :ychain::snooty::bow-blue:

The restoration series was an oil based (alkyd) paint. TSC didn't just stop carrying it, Valspar discontinued making it. The understanding that I have is that they could not make it complient with EPA regulations on VOC's, so rather than spend a lot of money to change the formula, they just dropped it.

Hodge71

Heres my 16 Auto recently finished in regal red and a near new later Toro/Wheelhorse blower, the match isnt exact but close enough for the cost to me.

IMG_3172_zpse4b9e63e.jpg

Seems there are so many folks out there who are trying to make the steal of a lifetime by lowballing any and everything in hopes of being successful so they can make a buck.  If I didnt already have more iron than I need I probably would have visited your side of the river.

It had a brand new seat from Tractor Supply that was 70 bucks, 2 new front tires and a full set of decals from Vinylguy on here that was going with it too. That 16 auto is my dream tractor for my Son. Youre more than welcome here any time too...no need t buy anything....we can just talk tractors over a cool drink on the front porch...lol

Edited by hodge71

js5020

I think your asking a fair price for a machine of that size and age, a certain other brand (JD)  would bring 2 or 3x that much, and quite honestly from owning a JD the only thing I like better about the deere is the foot hydro.  Sitting on the porch with a cool drink and talking tractors doesnt get much better than that, thanks for the invite I might take you up on it.

Hodge71

This afternoon me and my lil big guy pulled the factory decals off the 416 to get at some unscathed, unfaded factory paint color for the red. Took some pics and headed out. We found that Krylon Banner Red is a direct match for the Toro red. It looks spot on and only $3.60 a can!!! Im gonna prep a small piece of metal just like I was painting the tractor and see if it matches as good as it seems to. Got us 6 cans of paint, 2 cans of self-etching primer, 4 cans of primer surfacer/sandable primer, a can of satin black and 2 cans of hammered silver for the wheels. Hopefully tomorrow we're gonna start tearing sheetmetal off, get rid of the surface rust an prep it for some nice red. Then it's time to degrease and clean the frame and tranny and paint all that up too. I was gonna pull the engine but I thnk with some creative taping and bagging its better to leave it right where she sits. It doesnt need any paint other than the muffler. The entire engine looks pristine. I was just doing this to get rid of the tractor but I may document it with pics on here in a separate thread.

Farmerfred

I like this, I'm still going with red devil red. Except they don't make it anymore... 

Brockport Bill

this is from my 1989 WH brochure when i bought my 312-8 new

20210305_000040.jpg.08273e3ca87084854e3260b8f8337b7a.jpg

Kevin Bowley

Here is my '95 520-H, which strangely used the old candy red rather than the "new red", painted with Rustoleum IH red.  I'm VERY happy with the results.  The new decals from Terry will be here Monday. I never expected to get such an excellent gloss nor a sort of "candy" look from a rattle can.  It looks better in person. Also, note how close the color match is to the unpainted chassis parts.  Almost an exact match

20220403_192139 copy.jpg

20220403_192157 copy.jpg

20220327_152145.jpg

20220327_152116.jpg

20220327_152222.jpg

Edited by kbowley
  • Like 2

Kevin Bowley

This is what it looked like when I started...Note the test piece of metal on the hood. that was painted with the "Toro New Red" and it is not even close to matching...it has to much yellow/orange in it compared to the original paint.

520-H copy2.jpg

IMG_20211122_012033659 copy.jpg

Edited by kbowley

JCM

Kevin, check out the Before and After thread I started recently under Wheel Horse tractors. There are 3 tractors that I did paint work on. The 1989  312-8 is done with Toro new red back in the early 2000, looks quite different than your color. Things have changed through the years. The other 2 tractors are Rusto-leum Regal red. Be sure to repost when you get your decals on. @kbowley  Nice job.

• Thanks 1

Kevin Bowley
11 minutes ago, JCM said:

Kevin, check out the Before and After thread I started recently under Wheel Horse tractors. There are 3 tractors that I did paint work on. The 1989  312-8 is done with Toro new red back in the early 2000, looks quite different than your color. Things have changed through the years. The other 2 tractors are Rusto-leum Regal red. Be sure to repost when you get your decals on. @kbowley  Nice job.

Will do JCM.  They will be here on Monday.  I ordered the 520-H full set but substituted the fender and hood decals with the carbon fiber "ghost flames" set.  I also ordered several other misc. decals such as the model ID tag, the Onan Performer XLS air filter decal, the OPEI, a couple of the made in USA ones, the motion control and lift lever decals, and the 50 years of quality one for the back of the seat.  I plan on using soapy water to apply the big ones so I get them straight (the soapy water allows a bit of sliding for a couple minutes then simply use a rubber roller to squeeze the water and any air bubbles out as well as excellent adhesion) because I just know I will screw up with just on shot at it and you only get one chance without some soapy water.

ghost flames 520-h decals.jpg

• Excellent 1