Sign in to follow this  
Nick

New trailer project

Nick

My brother picked up a trailer at auction that looks to be the next project to fulfill my trailer habit. I would normally prefer a deckover but this drop axle equipment trailer sits very low and should be nice to load. It was a rental equipment trailer so it had a worn out hydraulic surge brake system. Had to remove the surge hitch system so I can change over to electric brakes plus lower the hitch height. B)

Brother didnt think I could handle the job with my 4.5" angle grinder and got out the stihl cutoff saw that he just rebuilt. I forgot to get a good before picture, have to add a full pic when its done, but did get some nice sparky shots tonight. Fire Hea Hea Fire. :whistle:

cut006.jpg

Video

th_cuttrailer.jpg

KyBlue

Nice...cant wait to see what ya do with it!

Where was that saw when i cut my doors in this tank!!

IMG_5087.jpg

Nick

Your trailer sure has grown since I last saw a picture of it. Now thats a BBQ. B)

T-Mo

I can't wait to see the finished product. That last trailer you made was awesome. B)

Nick

I dont have to do a whole lot of work on this trailer. Just finish cutting the original coupler/surge brake off then weld a new channel on for the coupler to bolt in. Other than that its bolting in the new electric brakes and wiring it up.

Might paint it red while I'm at it. :whistle:

This is what has been cut off.

equipmenttrailer.jpg

Hard to see in the picture but it sits very low. Should be nice driving onto it. And at around 10K capacity it can handle the Load Ranger. B)

equipmenttrailer004.jpg

KyBlue

Nick whats the width of it?? If ya decide to sell down the road, I might be interested. Been thinking about picking up a trailer to pull my 75 ... but with the larger offroad tires..needs a wider trailer!

Keep us updated on the progress!

Nick

Scott,

The trailer is only about 80" wide and 15' long. My guess is your Orange beast might need hauled on a deckover. If you keep an eye out older deckovers come up for sale fairly cheap now and then. Just make sure that it doesnt need to much work and cash put into it. Ive seen some go low on ebay but local farm sales and consignment auctions have had some good deals around this area. I was also going to say I prefer the bumper pull to our gooseneck but since you drive a semi I doubt thats a problem for you. B) By the way my B&W turnover ball gooseneck hitch was $300.

Tgblanken

Hi Nick, how many trailers have you built and or modified?

Terry

Nick

Terry,

These might not be in order and im sure I have forgotten some. B)

1. Removed WH dealers old Mazda truck flatbed then installed an axle and tongue.

2. Built 16' tandem axle with new axles, used steel plus some new sheet steel.

3. Completely rebuilt a tilt snowmobile trailer.

4. Dovetailed a small deckover trailer, put on fold up ramp, removable hand winch, new tires/rims plus LED lights then sold it to someone in Indiana. B)

5. Built a 5x10 single axle trailer with fold up ramps and removable hand winch.

6. Completely rebuilt 15' tri-axle gooseneck with new 3" channel cross members also adding a 4' dovetail and fold up ramps.

7. Built a 5x10 deckover with fold up ramps(still have this one)

Plus there were the trailers I didnt work on; 18' tandem axle trailer, 6 x 10 tilt trailer and a 6.5 x 12 tilt trailer.

Oh with my brothers we also have the 15' + 4' gooseneck and the equipment trailer I am working on now.

Maybe I have a trailer addiction. :whistle: B)

Nick

I forgot this one but it was not mine. Dennis wanted to haul a tractor on it so I added 14" to the front then moved the axle ahead and put an extra 7" in the tongue. If I still had my Ranger it would have been a nice small trailer to have around. :whistle:

May004.jpg

I moved the fenders after the picture. B)

smalltrailer001.jpg

rustbucket

i got one o dem saws at work we use it with diamond imbued es for when we do paver stone patio jobs and retaining wall jobs. ours is a wacker though and we got a larger carbon cut off wheel. used it to make the small parts for my craftsman wheelie bars. those things are evil awsome.

Brrly1

Nick Did I miss something and you sold the lawn ranger? What? No way!!! Tell me its not so. Please!!! Burly B)B)B) :whistle:

Nick

No John I did not sell the Lawn ranger. But you never know what I might do. :whistle: What I need to do is finish the LR 3 point and get the decals put on it. Menton isnt so far off now and hope to go if the weather is good. B)

Brrly1

Nick I hope to see you there and after that we'll have Wapakoneta, so Iam sure I will see you there. Take care John :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay:

KyBlue

Hey Nick, Pulled the trailer last night - had to take it up to the truck shop @ work, use their torch to cut some holes in the tank for the exhaust holes.

It pulled really well - Tracks almost perfectly straight - and the best part- NO Welds broke. HAHA thats pretty good considering everything that Ive welded on there..haha

Nick

Scott, Always good when the welds hold. :omg: Sounds like its moving along but ya better get her ready to start grillin. :banghead: I was going to say the winter weather isnt far off but I guess your a couple hundred miles south of us so it might not be as soon.

John, I just now noticed why you thought I had sold the Lawn Ranger. I was talking about the bright yellow Ford Ranger that I sold. Nephew named it Sponge Bob. :USA:

swap007.jpg

KyBlue

Nick, Its gotta be done over the winter, Wont really need it till the spring, thou thats not to say that it wont get used this winter doing the Q for a couple local eateries.. Im sure I spelled that wrong but it sounds better than restaurant

Nick

I was able to throw some paint on the trailer yesterday before the rain hit today. Did a redneck driveway paint job on her but looks ok. As we often say here "We aint taking it to the fair". :omg: The paint is Massey red so bit more orange than Wheel Horse red. :banghead:

trailer006.jpg

And a shot of the growing trailer stable of mine his and ours. Its not here but my brother also has a tri-axle dump trailer. I'll find or build that perfect trailer someday. :USA:

trailer.jpg

kj4kicks

Nothing wrong with that fleet of haulers ! Looks like one for just about every job.

They all look good !

Rollerman

Nick you get bored this winter I have a 6'x12' I'll let you cut up & do your "Nicks Monster Garage" bit too. :banghead: