Sign in to follow this  
rydogg

1st hay cutting of the year

rydogg

It's been such a wet spring that the hay got cut late, I was finally able to have it cut yesterday evening.  I got a few pics and a video usually they use a 9 foot haybine but this time they came in with a discbine that had almost a 16 foot cut and was very cool to watch.  My children have a couple horses and hay has gotten pretty expensive around here so I had my own little field planted last year.  I should get enough to sell 2 cuttings and keep 1 for myself.

hay2013002.jpg

hay2013003.jpg

hay2013007.jpg

Here is a short video...quality is not the greatest since I was using my little camera

th_hay2013012.jpg

Edited by rydogg
  • Like 1

Amanda

I think thats awesome that you have your own little field. My husband wants to have his own but hay around here doesnt go for to much money and usually the cost of the machines as well as to run them is more then what we would make.

rydogg

I have a friend that does all the work for less than $1 per bale and the selling rate around here is $5 to $8 per bale maybe more this year since we had so much rain and a lot of winter kill.  I had this planted last year in the late spring and we had a drought so I only got 35 bales....this year I am hoping to get 75 to 100 bales per cutting.

Amanda

Yikes, i cant even imagine what it would be like here with a drought we dont have many farms here.. But I wish you the best of luck this year

• Like 1

baerpath

Just had freinds move back from New Mexico, bexause it cost to much ro feed his horses. $11.75 for a 40lb bale 

AMC RULES

:text-coolphotos:

Around $3.80 a  :wh: gallon to feed mine now.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Shuboxlover

We've had record hay cutting here in eastern Nebraska too, but it hasn't brought the prices down as the central/western part of the state is still in a drought.....at nearly $200 a round bale, guys in this part of the state are going to cut the fat hog in the A$$.

hm12460

Guy's around here are cutting and baling pasture grass and getting $4 a bale for it.

Redline69

Interesting.

We operate out of SW Ontario, about 1hr east of Windsor,just north of lake Erie.

It was a cold late spring here, and a frost damaged some of the tobacco, tomato and corn crops. Never heard of any soy damage, but I digress.

1st cut here was a waiting game. Usually we try and have 1st cut off,and stacked well before fathers' day. ( We do 4 X 4 rounds),but this year it was cut a few days after Father's day,and it got one light ( .20") rain on it. But it's still OK for the beef cows we have here.

We cut a new field we seeded this spring on Thursday,and it's going to be ready to bale tomorrow. But its no heck..lots of oats,and weeds in it..lol.

The 2nd cut is coming along nicely, probably cut it in a couple weeks.

Haven't heard anything about prices here, but I know good hay might be hard to come by around here, because most of the 1st cut was very late, and a lot of it got rained on.