Sign in to follow this  
wheeledhorseman

Cat 1 boom sprayer at work on a D-200

wheeledhorseman

It's great to have at least one horse with a three point hitch but of course the down side is that it's Cat 0 and here in the UK these attachments are pretty much non-existant other than those originally supplied with a tractor at the time of sale. The other down side is that the pto shaft rpm is way too high by today's standards but there are still possibilities.

Last season I got a used Cat 1 boom sprayer intended for use with a compact tractor and, having a 12 volt electric pump, it was ideal for conversion for use with the D-200. My son was about this weekend so feeling inspired and needing to spray we finally got round to the conversion.

post-4509-0-22346700-1370808852_thumb.jp

Nothing fancy, just two pieces of angle welded to the frame to take the Cat 0 bottom pins, it had taken a year though to get round to doing it. I managed to pick up a long Cat 0 top pin which with a couple of bushes attaches the top link to the original fitting on the sprayer. Add a bit of extra tractor wiring using the unused electric pto switch position on the dash and the rig was ready to roll.

post-4509-0-87611500-1370809398_thumb.jp

The tank holds 60 litres (about 13 gallons) and has a submersible pump. There's a shut of valve for each arm of the boom and a third valve to control the flow to the booms to get the spray pressure just right. Seemed good value for the £200 I paid for it but now for the test.

post-4509-0-07350800-1370809951_thumb.jp

So after a successful dry run on a test strip (or should it be wet run) using just water the tank was filled with selective herbicide that should get rid of the weeds that are poisonous to horses.

post-4509-0-91164600-1370810243_thumb.jp

Jez wanted first go as he'd helped with the coversion but I'll get my turn tomorrow when he's at work! :grin:

post-4509-0-32023600-1370811324_thumb.jp

Ds love agricultural work!

Andy

• Like 4

Sparky

Nice job. A splash of red paint and some strategically placed Wheel Horse decals and no one would know it wasn't an official "D" series attachment.

Mike..............

AMC RULES

Very cool modification...looks like fun too.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

KC9KAS

Very nice set-up.

How much land are you spraying?

546cowboy

What are the GPM specs on your pump. I have thought about booms for the one I just made.

post-1334-0-91426700-1370823490_thumb.jp

post-1334-0-82857900-1370823503_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Marv

Curious about the mower. Havent seen one like it on a D.

Marvin

brandonozz

I like the spray rig and understand what your saying about needing one tractor with a 3 point.  I got to play with my D ( and its 3 point) last week for the first time and it is way cool.  Both my other workers are manual lift so what a difference. 

wheeledhorseman

I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in this or not but clearly a few of you are so some answers to the questions.

KC9KAS, we have 8 acres (two fields and the small paddock in the photos) so needing sprayer was always on the cards. Initially I considered the trailer type with 12 volt pump to pull behind the C-120 but along came a D project so started looking at the ATV type with a view to mounting on the 3 point hitch somehow. The one I've got appeared on ebay and I knew that it would save a whole lot of my time making something so that was it.

It's hard to say but I'm pretty sure it was put together by a PO sometime in the past though the steel booms and hinge arrangement look to have been taken from a commercially made product. The pump is the larger submersible type that used to be commonly used to deliver water from a drum outside to the taps and shower in travel trailers here in the UK but now largely superceded by inboard diaphragm pumps. I don't know the specifics about it Lynn but I'd say it can certainly deliver the gallon a minute that the spray bars get through when both are turned on. BTW that's a cool ride you've built yourself there! :handgestures-thumbup:

Marvin, the deck on the D is an adapted 500 series RD I managed to get as NOS here. I replaced the frame that it hangs on with a standard one, Bob (Trouty56) sent me some photos and measurements so that I could make the D specific front hanger and belt tensioner and Lonny (Otrelwood) found me a mule and shipped it. Made lots of D friends during that project all of whom helped in one way or another we became the 'dysfunctional D family'.

As to the colour of the spray rig, maybe I'll paint it red one day Mike but no rush as I've got enough horses and attachments waiting for a resto to keep me busy for the foreseeable future,

Andy