Sign in to follow this  
meadowfield

Mig welder

meadowfield

Finally got myself a mig welder!

Bradford-20130518-00473_zpsae3045c7.jpg

However, despite having everything I need, gas, 0.6 and 0.8mm wire and tips I can't use it!

Every time I flick the switch it trips the garage or the house consumer unit!!! :(

I've just upgraded the house to a 40a type b mcb, but it looks like I'm going to have to go to type c. Fingers crossed tomorrow I can at least get my first weld done...

Lars

Hey Mark nice welder.... here you might get some more info.. http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/tutorial.htm

i'm not sure what you mean by fuse in your house .. I have 3 phase 40amp 220 volt's in my house that are distributed to 3 phase 16 amp 220 volt's in my workshop and it works fine with them welding machines I have ..

meadowfield

Lars,

I have 100amp 230v coming into my house single phase. I split this through a 40amp circuit breaker to my garage. The current curve of the 40amp mcb used to the garage is too sensitive and when the mains switch is activated all my lights go out!!

Looks like I've a bit of debugging to do!

Cheers

Mark

farmer

Once you get it sorted you wont look back, so much better than Noahs.

Lars

Ahh i see Mark...

well good luck whit it... and im sure you will get that welder work good...

Stigian

Nice MIG welder Mark it looks quite a heavy duty machine :handgestures-thumbup:

Yes those trip switch fuse thingys can be a pain, I hate the things which is why I used a good old fashioned fuse box with proper wire fuses that are very cheap to replace when I wired up the Shack.

meadowfield

40A c type mcb on order, fingers crossed it will let me power up next weekend

wheeledhorseman

MCBs are a pain - if they're run at near their continuous rating they tend to cook and become unreliable, in the worst cases I've come across the contacts become 'welded' together and won't break under any condition! Like Ian I prefer the good old Wylex consumer unit with renewable fuse wire. Got two in the house and another at the barn. I could fit MCBs into these old units but unless there's a major fault a fuse doesn't blow. If there is a major fault pressing a reset button isn't going to help. RCDs are another matter.

I'm guessing there's a hefty transformer in the MIG and I know from the 3KVA 110 volt transformer I use with some power tools that it dips the lights momentarily when switched on. Despite this, it doesn't blow the 13 amp plug fuse or the ring main fuse or the main RCD for that matter. A standard domestic 'B' type RCD would be less forgiving in that the impedance of a transformer is very low for an instant until back emf is established. If the 'C' type doesn't do it then you'll need to go for the 'D' type I guess.

Andy

meadowfield

I'm guessing there's a hefty transformer in the MIG and I know from the 3KVA 110 volt transformer I use with some power tools that it dips the lights momentarily when switched on. Despite this, it doesn't blow the 13 amp plug fuse or the ring main fuse or the main RCD for that matter. A standard domestic 'B' type RCD would be less forgiving in that the impedance of a transformer is very low for an instant until back emf is established. If the 'C' type doesn't do it then you'll need to go for the 'D' type I guess.

Andy

Andy,

it's a SIP inverter MIG, weighs about 40lbs if that. So no huge transformer and a whopping 60% duty cycle!

however the gulp the switch mode takes is 40Amps and it wipes out standard MCB's - hopefully missus will pick up a C curve one today...

Anglo Traction

So Mark, Are you no longer 'Tripping Out' and now Mig-ing merrily away?.   

meadowfield

I've stopped the house tripping, mcb for the garage has arrived - just need to fit it!

Robins

Did it work Mark? I was told once if you run a welder through one of those really big extension leads it takes out the kick away when the welder starts up and doesnt blow the fuse. IF it works i dont know, as ive never had a problem to be able to try it. But if you have one and still get a problem it might be worth a go.

cheers, Daniel

meadowfield

I fixed the trips and its now ok, I need to keep the runs short if I can, there's already 30m of cable between house and garage.