Sign in to follow this  
T-Mo

Why You Just Can't Mow in Reverse Anymore

T-Mo

This wasn't a problem on the older mowers, and in fact, wasn't on my 1998 314-8. But, the newer mowers, including my JD X320, and even the newer Wheel Horse Classic 315-8, has a feature that prevents you from mowing in reverse unless you pull a switch, hit a button, pulled up on a lever, or something. I see a lot of complaints about the reverse switch on other sites, and a lot of people want to know is how to disconnect it or defeat it. Well, I submit for your viewing pleasure, the reason why manufacturers have put these concoctions on their mowers: Sue The Manufacturer Website.

Like it or not, there is somebody who is going to sue the manufacturer for their own ignorance. A lot of the older attachments that we crave for and search high and low for, wouldn't be allowed to be manufactured today, simply because someone might get hurt. The sickle bar mower comes to mind.

Now, I for one, think safety is a must. I don't mow when there is anyone outside that might get hit by flying objects that may have been thrown by the rotating blades, I don't defeat safety switches for convenience sakes (I just don't go out of my way to "fix" one either), and I try to be safe when operating power equipment. More than likely, though, if something happens, it's MY FAULT. Not the manufacturer. I have been burnt a couple of times by hot coffee, but it wasn't McDonalds's fault.

Now I'll get off my :whistle: End of B)

kpinnc

Tmo, I am one of the biggest offenders when it comes to this discussion. Unfortunately, hindsight is 20/20. That said, I completely understand the purpose of all the safety equipment installed on our tractors has a purpose.

I don't have to like it, but I understand why it's there. B)

Besides, all that safety gear is only there for one purpose: Because sadly, you can't speak for everyone when you say that the greatest safety feature is the responsibilty of the operator to use it wisely.... :whistle:

Kevin

T-Mo

Kevin,

That's my point exactly. If you were to go out and run over your dog, for instance, you will owned up and take responsibility. I don't believe you will be pointing fingers at the manufacturer. And that's the problem. Noticed in that link I've posted this statement,

Riding Lawnmower Back Over Accidents

(WE CAN HELP YOU, THE INJURIES ARE NOT YOUR FAULT!)

No one takes responsibility anymore for their actions. It's always someone else's fault. And there is going to be a lawyer to remind you that it's not your fault.

Sorry, for the continuous rant, but..... I'll go away now. B)

kpinnc

Sorry, for the continuous rant, but..... I'll go away now.

No need to do that. You're absolutely right!

Kevin

T-Mo

No need to do that. You're absolutely right!

Kevin

Kevin,

That's a phase my co-worker makes when he presents me a problem that I have to solved. When he's done, he almost always says...."I'll go away now". It just sort of stuck with me. B)

kpinnc

OK, I gotcha...

Kevin

SousaKerry

ok lets fill their email box with emails about how dumb they are to actually try to cash in on others stupidity.

Natural selection rules... now if we could make a safety device that neuters the operator when they back over their kid so they won't reproduce again...... :whistle: B)

Jim_M

Do you know what you call 5,000 lawyers on the bottom of the ocean?

A damn good start.

Duff

Do you know why New York has the most lawyers, and New Jersey the most hazardous waste sites?

New Jersey had first choice! B)

perry

yep, everybody is sue happy B) .

when i mow the lawn my 5 and 6 yr old must remain in the house with mom and watch me threw the window untill the mower deck is shut off. but i usully have a tractor running everyday doing chorse or a mail box run, so i have to really watch all the time.

Jim_M

Do you know what you have when you have a bunch of lawyers buried in sand up to their chins?

Not enough sand.

Curmudgeon

Before long we'll all be wearing bubble wrap suits 24/7. For our own safety. Yeah yeah, if something is designed inherently dangerous, that's one thing, but you can't make an idiot safe.

You can't make someone polite with laws, you can't make them safe either.

As was said above, it's a sue happy world where no one wants to take responsibility for ones actions.

There have been several unfortunate "incidences" with trucks at work the last couple of years. Everybody but one came up with some lame excuse, "It wasn't my fault, yadda yadda yadda". When I wrecked one, I came back and said exactly what happened, I screwed up. Of ALL the incidences, guess which ONE was the ONLY ONE with disciplinary action?

Corporate america can blame sue happy people for not taking responsibility, and yet, when someone does, corporate america PUNISHES them for doing so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B)B)B) :whistle: