Sign in to follow this  
darg

convert 12 hp magnum to 12 hp point engine

darg

Need help. to explain how and what I need to do to change a mag pointless engine to a 12 hp coil engine. And what do I have to do to test fire the mag engine out of mower . Mag engine is by itself , no mower or electrics. I purchased the mag engine , not knowing it has a electronic engine Sounds like a lot of problem, but I know you guys can help/

thanks, for any help

darg

Docwheelhorse

Well... its not hard... I believe what your trying to do is convert the tractor to run the electronic ignition right? Because if your trying to convert the electronic ignition to a point type ignition that is impossible as the block is not machined for a point plunger etc... Basically you need to make a few wiring modifications to the ignition switch and switch out the ignition switch from a 12 volt ignition to a magneto ignition. To test run the magnum just secure it to a workbench and make sure the regulator/charging wire is hooked up to the battery (otherwise you run the risk of frying the charging system if its not hooked up) and then use a set of jumper cables to directly jump the starter...  motor should fire right off and to kill it close the choke....  It all sounds comlicated but once you look at a wiring diagram you will be fine..

Tony

Wheel-N-It

Dude, why in the heck do you want to do this???

Seriously what is the end result of this project? Then we can go somewhere with your question.

Fordiesel69

Nope, he wants to turn his pointless ignition magnum into a point style K series engine.  Cannot be done.  You would have to get a machine shop to drill and machine the holes.  Then you need to swap the camshaft out with one that came from a K series with the point lobe.  Finding a machine shop that will do it affordable is the problem. 

I have a very early magnum 14 hp that has the holes stamped but not machined or drilled.  However the cam is not lobed for points.

darg

Thank you guys for the help, Looks like I goofed by buying the mag. engine to use on my C160. Really don,t want to modify the stock tractor. The engine has 408 hrs on it by the mower hr meter. Pulled the head off and it looks good, no ring grove in the wall. Guess I will sell it. The engine is complete. Next time maybe I will know better . Thanks for all the advice and help guys.

darg

WH nut

Thank you guys for the help, Looks like I goofed by buying the mag. engine to use on my C160. Really don,t want to modify the stock tractor. The engine has 408 hrs on it by the mower hr meter. Pulled the head off and it looks good, no ring grove in the wall. Guess I will sell it. The engine is complete. Next time maybe I will know better . Thanks for all the advice and help guys.

darg

You can put a complete Mag on any tractor if you have the room. Pull off a wire diagram and change your ignition switch. Easy job. To run that motor all you have to do is spin it over. To kill it you ground the white wire coming from the Mag.The other 2 wire are charge wires. The diagram will hook you up.

JUSS10

So let me get some clarification just to make sure i am reading this right. To me, it sounds like you have an existing tractor with a complete engine in it. You bought a completely new engine and you want to do a whole engine swap? Is this correct? Your current engine uses points, but you bought a new one that uses pointless ignition and you want to swap that engine in? If I am correct in these statements, then yes, you can make the swap. It would be pretty simple too. Like others said, it would just need a wiring change. I would find another wheel horse that uses pointless ignition and look at the wiring diagram for that tractor.

Justin

WH nut

here you go if you Mag has the 3 amp charging. if its the 15 amp grab the diagram from the manuals section

Fordiesel69

I know the magnum will look funny on your C-160, but if you already have the engine, just swap the IGN switch.  Unless you are looking for it to be all original.  The magnum is just a tad better engine.  A different piston that seems to control oil better than the style "a" piston on the k series, a more robust igntion system, and higher velocity cooling fins.  Overall just a tad better.  If you were closer I would buy it off of you.

darg

On the charging system, how is the best way to tell if 3amp or 15amp system?  I don,t have much to go on, being wires were cut.

Thanks for the help

darg

WH nut

Check the numbers on the motor, I believe it breaks it down on the wire diagram I posted

Save Old Iron

On the charging system, how is the best way to tell if 3amp or 15amp system?  I don,t have much to go on, being wires were cut.

This trick might work

use a meter on the low ohms scale

measure directly across the stator wires

note the ohms reading and reverse the meter wires

if the readings stay the same (probably less than 1 ohm) you likely have a 15 amp stator

if the readings change and the lower of the two readings is about 8 to 10 ohms, you are measuring thru a diode and two stator windings from a dual voltage low amperage (3 amp) stator

I cannot guarantee 100% accuracy on this test but the last time I was tricked into thinking a stator resistance reading was too high at 10 ohms, I found it was a dual voltage system when I took off the flywheel.

Docwheelhorse

Um... correct me if im wrong but dont all mags with a bigger than 3 amp charging system have a regulator mounted directly on the engine in the fan shroud housing? So..... if it has a regulator its 15 amp and if it doesnt its 3,,,,, I really doubt the 16 would have anything other than the 15 amp setup. 

Tony

Callen

darg, Did you buy a Magnum 12 or a K 301 with a magneto ignition? I'm not clear on this. Never mind....I found the answer

Edited by Callen

squonk

I'm glad I saw this. I have a good running 14 Mag in a 414 I'm trying to sell. I've been thinking about keeping the Mag if I don't get my price and putting it in my C160 that's getting tired.

darg

The one I bought is a 12HP Mag engine

Having trouble figering out how to get the relay working to engage the starter. Checked out the wiring diagram , but still won,t work. The windings check out OK

darg

Keep posted on the swap over

Wheel-N-It

You probably either have a faulty safety switch, or a faulty relay. Last week I had a relay that you could hear engaging but did not transfer 12v out the post going to the starter. If you dont hear the relay making its normal engagement sound then check the wire on the bottom of the relay. with the key in the start position there should be 12v between the wire and ground. If you dont have 12v then first check the seat switch. They always fail sometime during the life of a Wheel Horse. Oh yeah; you did check the fuse right?

darg

thanks wheel-in-it, I think I checked the voltage , but I will check it again. The started try,s to pull in with a clunk, but not strong enough to really engage the flywheel. I have to jump the starter terminals to get it started, Then to kill the engine I have to pull the plug wire, The switch has no effect on the engine. It runs with no wires connected after starting. I guess I have some wires wrong, but I looked at the diagram , Had to bypass all the safety switched because  it is on a work bench  

Thanks for your help

PS how is the weather in your area ?

Need any body parts for your 312?

WH nut

Did you change the Ign. Switch. The one for battery ign will not wotk with mag Ign. The white wire on the 3 wire plug fron the motor is grounded to kill the motor. Make sure you are getting 12volts at the small wire on the solenoid

darg

wheel-nut  I used the sw that come with the engine One terminal is in bad shape. I will have to get another one. The white wire that goes to the engine plug, which has fore wires is the one that you are referring too , right, I think the wiring diagram said something about it being acc.  I did not ground tat one , just hanging  loose. The guy that I bought the engine from cut the wires, I sure thank you for the help. Please let me know about the white wire..

darg

Wheel-N-It

Darg, Weather has been great here till today. Then early afternoon it bagan to rain. We probably wont see much of the Sun again till end of the week.

Grounding the white wire kills the ignition and shuts the engine off.

Really you probably need to replace the starter relay and ignition switch. These are electrical parts that are subject to years of moisture and dirt and dust. Also its a good idea to just go ahead and rewire the tractor concerning the engine. You don't have to rewire the lights and such, but as far as the engine goes you will enjoy new wiring with new connectors and new switch/relay. I just did one this month. Its not hard at all. You can read my thread about it. Good luck with it!