Sign in to follow this  
Dresden Guy

"Bucking Horse" (C-160) wins - 4½ hours in ER

bo dawg

Glad youre ok although the stiches hurt, but better than a broke neck or back. I had one of these horses buck me off too a few years ago. I posted about it somewhere on here. I was on my 68 Charger automatic which are real light in the front to start with. I had put on some newer ags on the rear and had this bright idea about trying out the hillside and see if she would climb straight up it. Started out pretty good too till I leaned forward farther to keep from falling back when all of a sudden I hit the forward lever all the way and she went straight up and over. All I could think while falling back was to roll as fast as I could. It worked, no injurys just stiff as heck in the back and neck. But the horse took the damage, bent steering wheel and crushed the hood at the front. Bad thing about the hood was it was in great condition and almost perfect Charger woodgrain decals on it.

Oh well...better her than me!

squonk

If you do a lot of Horse hauling, a trailer with a gate is the only way to go. We all like to spend money on more Horses we really don't need but sometimes we need to spend it on stuff  to make our hobby safer and more enjoyable.

• Like 1

leeave96

Come over and get me for a quick biscuit. I'm going to the early service so you need to come ASAP

sorekiwi

Glad you are OK Steve.  Sometimes we need a scare to remind us that bad stuff can happen.

VinsRJ

Glad to hear you were not hurt worse... or anyone else... its amazing what it feels like when all of that weight is in motion and no real means to stop it...

Dresden Guy

Do you have pics and/or videos of all this - plowing I mean... :ychain:

Hope you get to feeling getter sooner than later - close call!!!!!

*** Movie file too large..... will have to figure some other means of sending file. I could email a couple of files to you. ***

The still picture is an Amish friend's son, Atlee, plowing with my C-160 + a WH 10" moldboard. The movie is a actually turning dirt, but the "land" part of the plow is not set correctly, plus the plow also needs to be lowered more. A little thing I found after trying to set my plow for max results, is that the adjusting screw on the raise/lower bracket was turning, due to vibration, and was soon keeping the plow from going to the correct. Corrected that problem with a little "Loctite / med. strength) to the threads - problem solved.

After setting the plow land and changing the angle of moldboard (with adjusting handle), and the Loctite, I was able to turn over the full 8" - 10" furrow depth that the plow is designed to do. Takes some experimenting, but when you get it set, AND don't roll the tractor over on yourself (!!), it' great fun. The smell of a fresh turned dirt is awesome and you'll make probably 50 robins ecstatic with all the ½ lb. nightcrawlers!

Steve

post-1883-0-64674900-1365340884_thumb.jp

post-1883-0-31169800-1365341975_thumb.jp

whc160

Steve I am glad you are OK.

I also try to stay away from using ramps.  If I have to use ramps I like to find a bank so the ramps are not so steep.  I have had the front ends of my tractors get light when loading them on my tilt trailer.  The mesh tailgate trailer ramps for sure are the nicest for loading.

ericj

the wheelie is the reason i always at least try to back up the ramps. I've dropped many a wheel horse off ramps or even the back of the truck, but by backing up or pulling off they generally stay on it's wheels. i know i have pushed fate way to far so i do try to use a trailer with a drop ramp. glad to here you are ok all things considered it could have been a lot worse. wishing you a fast recovery

eric j   

1973Auto

Glad you are all right! Now post some pics of the stitches.

dcrage

Why don't we back tractors ONTO the trailer. That would stop this kind of stuff. I know I am guilty. I always drive mine on and back them off

Dresden Guy

Update to "Bucking Horse" - The injuries are mending OK, and the tractor is doing OK too. I did discover a busted right-side steering link. I "harvested a donor organ" from  my B-80 and the C-160 was up and going like new.

Yesterday I loaded the C-160 AGAIN by myself, and kept my promise to my wife to never do the "widow-maker" loading method again  i.e. - sitting on the seat to load.

Step 1 - align the ramps on the back of the trailer to the width of the wheels, (checking to make sure ramps were snug against back of trailer and I stood on other ends to bury ends in ground a little bit)

Step 2 - drove the tractor to within 3 - 4 feet from the end of the ramps and put it in neutral and got off, then I set the engine to 200 - 400 rpms (?)

Step 3 - then, while standing on the ground, on the clutch side of the tractor I put the gear shift it in low-range + LOWEST gear (tractor moves at about ½ - 1  MPH ??)

Step 4 - while tractor is moving SLOWLY, I lined it up with the ramps (3 feet back from ramps to double check alignment),

Step 5 - then started the tractor up the ramps, steering the S-L-O W moving C-160 from on the ground, NOT IN SEAT!,

Step 6 - the tractor "creeped" up the ramps, under complete control and quite safely, right on to the trailer. I put it in neutral when it was where I wanted it and set the brake.

All is well! This way of loading, if you are going to use individual ramps, takes a little longer, but, it just may save someone's life, or even a horrible injury. My injuries were'nt horrible, but they easily could have been, but by the grace of God.

Sorry to be so wordy, but maybe someone can use the info. If anyone thinks it would be useful, I could do a short YouTube clip to show some of the steps.......

Again, to all the RS guys, for the  nice "well-wishes" and terrific advice / pointers, THANKS! THANKS!   :text-thankyouyellow: 

CasualObserver

Steve... glad you've survived and learned a lesson.

Your ordeal and new found wisdom remind me of a post that was way down in the basement.  A lesson that everyone should be aware of... don't become a video on you tube.