Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

Shipping Container for Storage Building????

leeave96

Anyone use one of those shipping containers for storing their Wheelhorse tractors - or anything else for that matter? 

My Dad has a camp and we want to store a tractor or two up there, but don't want to invest a ton of $$$'s - however, want something water tight and burglar proof as sometimes unwanted visitors like our stuff more than we do - especially if it's free for them to own (read - dirty @#%@@'s like to steal stuff). 

Here is a link to a picture of a similar container: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AULJRa4fa7s/Ss4wuQSlblI/AAAAAAAAIXc/tfcI2G27VTQ/s1600/20-foot-ground-storage-and-shipping-container-20ft-one-trip-single-use-container.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.eaglespeak.us/2011/04/maritime-security-shipping-container.html&h=768&w=1024&sz=91&tbnid=qKtLmB5fy383EM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=130&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dshipping%2Bstorage%2Bcontainer%2Bpic%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=shipping+storage+container+pic&usg=__06gkIiMTVRWN_aM8r1d2FsZJBHs=&docid=lBf_NPRjHa6D7M&hl=en&sa=X&ei=GHAvUcDiIbDE0AHnnoDgBw&ved=0CE8Q9QEwAQ&dur=1680

I'm finding that apparently as these things get used over time, the expense of maintaining them or transporting an empty one makes it easier/cheaper just to sell it and buy a new one for the primary user - and makes for a good deal for junk collectors like myself!

Thanks!

Bill

rmaynard

I was just looking at containers to rent. The company provides 8' x 8' x 20' containers for $100 per month and a $65 delivery and pick up charge. I don't know what the cost to purchase is.

leeave96

I was just looking at containers to rent. The company provides 8' x 8' x 20' containers for $100 per month and a $65 delivery and pick up charge. I don't know what the cost to purchase is.

The only prices I've got are around $2.5K for 20 ft and $3ish-K for a 40 ft container.  However this was for useable/shippable condition.  I am pretty certain you can do better than that is you are not using the container for actual shipping and it's being sold in that condition.  Still, cheaper than many smaller pre-fab'd outbuildings you can buy around here in my neck of the woods.

MalMac

One thing to remember is a lot of the time the shipping co. is getting rid of them because they are no longer weather tight. Some times they banged around so hard that they are no longer square and the joints and seems are compromised. You most defiantly have to watch out for the containers used for overseas transport. The salt air gets to them and just like a car or truck they start getting the rustys real bad. Usually the 20 and 40ft,45ft containers are your overseas ones. I used to pull some of the containers and have seen why they get rid of them. It used to be that your longer 48 and 53' containers were for domestic use. They may have started to use them for overseas shipping too. I have been out of the game for awhile now and things have changed.

Sparky

I was in Guam a couple months ago and they use them for everything. I drank at a bar that was inside a Conex box, I saw a McDonalds that used one for a restaurant. It was a take out window and kitchen only so you walked up to the Conex box and placed an order, then you ate your Big-Mac outside. And finally I saw a bunch of them used as houses! I snapped this picture of one up on blocks with doors and windows cut into it. It also had power and water hooked up. Still had the full double doors at one end which would be great for getting funiture in and out :grin:  .

post-2-0-00401000-1362088488_thumb.jpg

Mike................

JimmyJam

I was in Guam a couple months ago and they use them for everything. I drank at a bar that was inside a Conex box, I saw a McDonalds that used one for a restaurant. It was a take out window and kitchen only so you walked up to the Conex box and placed an order, then you ate your Big-Mac outside. And finally I saw a bunch of them used as houses! I snapped this picture of one up on blocks with doors and windows cut into it. It also had power and water hooked up. Still had the full double doors at one end which would be great for getting funiture in and out :grin:  .

attachicon.gifGuam house pics 048.JPG

Mike................

My daughter was in Guam (stationed in the Navy there for four years), she said the same thing: Storage containers are used for everything and it's portable!

Fun Engineer

Have a friend that worked for Williams International (patriot missile) and they used these for storage of old dies and other machining tools.  Ventilation caused a lot of moisture problems (rust). For what its worth.

I think if you can install a decent roof and deal with the moisture problem they may make a good temporary storage unit.

6wheeler

Bill, we rent one for our Eagles club. Ours is 8'X8'X45'. We rent ours by the year. It costs us $950.00 per year. We have had this unit for 12 years from the same rental company. It is a great storage space for dead Pull Tab games as Gambling control requires we hold "dead" games for 3 years. The unit is large enough so there is room for other items like our lawn mower and patio heaters too. It is an on-sight unit. We looked into buying one but, Malmac is right. The ones freight companies want to sell are usually pretty beat up or rusted out. The rental cost may seem a little high, but for us it is better than trying to add on to the main building. Because it is portable, there are no additional property taxes to worry about as well. Plus, the rental company sends out a tech once a year to inspect the box for leaks and lube the doors (it opens on either end). If there is a problem with it? They would just replace the unit. They also will provide some laborers to help move the stored items to a new box if necessary. All in all, it works very well for us. And, no one has ever broken into it.