Sign in to follow this  
whc160

BALANCING PLATFORM

whc160

I would like to make a balacing platform for the Vintage Garden Tractor Show we have here in town.  I have seen pics of them, but have no measurements to go with.  So if anyone has some measurements and some good pics that would be great.  Thanks.

AMC RULES

Don't know the dimensions, but here a couple picts from the 2012 PA  :wh: show.

post-3498-0-86815300-1361844742_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-21057600-1361844792_thumb.jp

rmaynard

And as a side not, the balancing platform, otherwise known as a teeter-totter, has been put away by the Wheel Horse Collectors Club. After several accidents last year, safety concerns and insurance have brought a fun activity to a halt.

VinsRJ

IMO its a very safe event.... so long as you monitor the platform and "grow a pair", "man up or woman up" and throw idiots off of it.

Can you tell I'm tired being "PC"? LOL!

• Like 3

rmaynard

I agree Vin. For years the teeter-totter has been a staple of the show. Last year a couple of idiot parents allowed their kids to use it unsupervised, and there were some problems.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:scared-eek:    :omg: 

stevasaurus

That horse is basically 3' x 5'...estimating the main deck to be a 4 x 8 x 3/4" treated sheet of ply wood...the ramp part looks like about 8" x 4'...the main supports look to be  a 2" x 6" x 10" with the plywood framed with 1" x 2" material.  I would frame under the plywood with 2" x 6"  on at least 16" centers...and double up the one across at the center (for mounting your hardware for the rocker).  It would also help sturdy the deck by putting bridging between the cross bracing.  The rocker is mounted a little off center so the platform returns to down on the same end when nothing is on the deck.

All measurements are on estimation. :)

Edited by stevasaurus

JimD

I would say that your measurements are pretty close Steve, but it looks like it was made of all metal.

whc160

Thanks for the info guys.  We know we wanted to make it 4 feet wide, but were not sure how long to make it.

Bob we are going to have signs made that say kids must be supervised by an adult when using the table.  We have two people the help with the show that also belong to the local farm safety committee.  So we have rules that they have helped us make to keep everybody safe and be able to have fun.