Sign in to follow this  
perry

allmost that time of year again

perry

i hate to say it but old man winter will soon be here B) .

with that in mind and the dreaded riseing cost of fuels, there will be alot of people turning to alternate heat. wood,corn,pellets or what ever .

i hear of so many mishaps/fires due to poor quality products, bad judgement, and poor installation of wood stoves. being you are a newbie or a veteran of wood burning we can allways learn something new B) . here is a site with alot of info and a great bunch of knowledgable guys in the forum area.

http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/f...viewcategory/1/

good list of woodstove ratings

i have about half my wood pile done. i need to get finished up myself.

hopefully soon i will be haveing another wood cutting party . wheel horse's and trailers are allways welcome B) .

last years wood cutting pics !

have fun and play safe :whistle: .

this years wood pile

wardsEBAY010.jpg

my son and his ranger last year

oct20002.jpg

Nick

Perry,

I also found some good information on the Hearth site. As you say a lot of people with knowledge and several active dealers in the forum also. B)

Is your son ready to haul wood with the big Ranger again this year? Took a look at your wood cutting pictures from last year. Nice pictures and looked like some fun to. :whistle:

Around 30 years ago we would help Dad cut along creek banks and in small woods from time to time. My Uncle had a couple old D6 Cats that he used to clear woods so while he did that we could cut in some of those also. Only one of his crawlers would start itself so if he was by himself he would get one going then push start the other, run up to it and ride the track up to the seat. B)

mcwh1950

perry .... how many cord of wood do you use for the winter season. i know i use 4 to 5 cord a winter and that is in a small ben franklin in the living room. also how long do you season the wood.

perry

i use alot of wood. there is another whole row behind that one you see in the pick. i plan on atleast cutting and spliting another 2 or more of them rows. i probaly used ten or more 4x8 face cords last year. thats for house and the garage. but hopefully i will cut my useage down this year. last febuary when they where on sale i bought a nice little englander seal tight wood stove at home depot for my house :whistle: . it works great and uses alot less wood than my old one.

the guys that build englander stoves are on the hearth forums and ready to help B) . there are many good brands, but for the price the englander was a steal for $400.

i used to have a old franklin in my garage and loved it at the time. but that franklin ate ALOT of wood to help keep the garage warm. i now have a large seal tight earth stove in there and its really efficient.

i generally like to have my wood seasoned for atleast a year. so you need to be cutting and splitting anything thats GREEN down right now to use for fall 2009. but ofcourse i am never ahead of the game so i am cutting dead standing Ash & cherrys tree that once split are ready to burn this year.

englander 13NC wood stove