Sign in to follow this  
Stigian

The workshack extension begins

Stigian

Good morning all ye Wheel Horse folk, not having any WH builds to post i thought id show you all what im up to instead.

Storage space or the lack of, is something we all suffer from :banghead:

You know how it is, having to climb over things to get from one end of the workshop to the other, everything getting covered in grinding dust and paint over spray B)

The solution to the problem as you have guessed is to build more space B)

As ever this is a budget build, so expect loads of recycling and a few mad WH journeys collecting wood :banghead:

Let the build begin.....

With the shed out the way, work could start.

Just to give me an idea on size one of the long roof beams was put roughly in place on the ground with my 'orses parked up.

100_3652.jpg

Another view, it also shows how much junk i have about the place :whistle:

100_3653.jpg

That's better, most of the junk moved. The cleared space is looking quite big at this point B)

100_3741.jpg

It's harrow time B)

DSC00380.jpg

Followed by a bit of blade work and lots of shovel work. So far 14 trailer loads of earth have been moved, maybe another 3 loads after the final leveling :banghead:

DSC00387.jpg

With the first dig out the way the levels were soon worked out. The bottom of the blocks in the ground is the level i have to dig down to, to put pallets down for the floor.

100_3870.jpg

Stigian

This isnt the best of photo's but it shows all the blocks in place.

Planks of wood will be screwed onto the blocks to make the base of the frame.

100_3883.jpg

Garry enjoying some seat time during "dig" number 2 B)

100_3902.jpg

Ta-daa the basic frame is up :banghead:

Im quite proud of this B)

My normal way of build is to hold a bit of wood in place and mark where it needs to be cut.

Due to the size of the posts and roof beams the normal way would of been almost impossable. Instead i cut all the wood to size and shape first :banghead::banghead:B)

100_3910.jpg

100_3912.jpg

The shed that was moved will be nailed onto the the frame.

Speaking of the shed, here it is in a rare photo showing the door :)

Yes my Wife can get in and out just fine B):banghead:

100_3913.jpg

Thats all for now folks, tune back for more dust, sawdust and splinters :whistle:

Brrly1

Hello Ian I was just wondering,when you are done building do you have any plans to come across the pond? I could use a new addition to my garage.No really I could. Nice pictures. Burly B):whistle: B)

Rollerman

Ian how's the summer heat over their?

Looks like you'll have a lot more room when your all done...for even bigger & badder Ian inventions.

Those hedges behind the house look like you'd need a chain saw to clip them... B)

Stigian

Im not sure you would want me building for you John, my metalwork skills are far better than my woodworking efforts B)

The heat over here has been a bit much Stephen, though strangely we have just had a week of rain which has stopped any more building work happening.

A lack of wood hasnt helped much as well B)

I need to go on a pallet hunt and see what i can find.

As for the hedge, you might say a trim is over due :whistle:

Rollerman

So Ian I have to ask...barring all the latitude & longitude stuff...where are you actually located across the pond?

Always curious to see if you end up on the Red Square map?...maybe you are & I missed it?

I'm guessing your a fair bit further south than I am & may get some pretty hot days over there?

We had a few hot weeks up here in the "lower north" that stayed in the 90's with high humidity....made me rethink my career choice & consider selling ice. B):whistle:

I have a furnace fan in my shop...but when it's that hot out I don't make much progress either. "add flameing hot smiliey here?"

I wish you luck in getting the rest of the wood you need & getting your workshack extension finished. B) B)

Stigian

I should be on the Redsquare map now Stephen, have a look and let me know B)

We had a few weeks of nasty sticky heat here as well, about 29'c outside, about the same in the workshack and an all time record of 35'c in our home which you may of noticed by now is a big ol caravan.

A big metal box is not the best of places to be in during very hot days (even a big portable air-con unit didn't help) but its home and we love it :whistle:

Fingers crossed the sale of my trike will bring enough funds in to get the extension finished :banghead:

Some wood i can scrounge if i ask about, but other bits like wall cladding and roofing felt i will have to cough up for.

Be worth all the work when its finished, and i have some more WH parking space B)B) B)

Stigian

Howdo all, well things are moving slowly on the workshack, the weather has not helped much with loads of rain and wind :o , but what can you do..

Mother nature will always win :banghead:

Fingers crossed my trike will be going to its new home sometime this coming week, and that should give me the rest of the cash i need for boarding etc

Anyway, here's a few progress pics B)

A few more cross members and uprights have gone in.

The big square on the top left of the frame is where a window is going in.

A bench with pc, kettle, sound system etc will be going behind the window, so i can sit at a pc with a coffee and some good sounds.... and look out the window over the fields B)B)

100_4227.jpg

Done a bit on the back wall as well, with a couple of new uprights going in 4ft apart, in just the right place for screwing sheets of 8x4 osb board as the outer wall B)

100_4228.jpg

This photo makes me smile...

When there are place's in the frame you can't walk through... it feels like something has got done :banghead:

100_4229.jpg

Been out collecting a few pallets as well, Garry and I brought this load back after an hour round trip on old faithful :whistle:

Shame the rain started 20 mins into the trip :banghead:

Gotta love the B) weather :banghead::)

DSC07293.jpg

Sparky

Well the rain wasnt able to wash the smile off your face I see!

So what will the floor be made of? Will it get poured concrete later?

Mike.........

Stigian

Hi Mike, a concrete floor would be very nice, but its a bit out of my price range :whistle:

Once the extension is water tight , the floor will be dug to its final level and given a nice coating of tapulin/plastic sheeting etc to keep any damp out.

loads of pallets on top of that followed by a layer of floor boards... proberly taken from more pallets B)

Stigian

A small update for you all.

Boring photo first..

All of the uprights are in place on the back wall, just needs a few cross members between them all..

100_4266.jpg

Going up in the world (well roof height :lol: ) loads more beams have gone in :banghead:

100_4264.jpg

Loads of these strengthening will be screwed in place to er... help strengthen the roof.

At a rough guess im going to have to cut 30-40 of these small chunks :lol:

Still, its a good way to use up all those off cuts that are too small for anything else :USA:

100_4265.jpg

A view from the top..

I like the mish mash of all the different colour wood's in this photo :omg:

Yesterday i did put another row of cross members into the roof, but it was to windy to take any photo's from the top of a ladder.

100_4267.jpg

If all goes to plan, the cladding should be going on next week, so stay tuned of some 8x4 action :thumbs:

T-Mo

Ian,

It's coming along nicely. Keep up the work (and commentary). :banghead:

Stigian

:horseplay: :horseplay: :banana: :banana:

Ebay saves the day again :banghead:

Picking up 40 sheets of 11mm 8x4 osb boards this afternoon for the roof and cladding, about

bustedglass

Hi Ian,

Workshack is looking sweeeeeeeeeeet :banana: :banana: :banana: . Keep us posted. Can't wait to see it finished.

Stigian

No finished pic's yet chaps, but it's heading in the right direction :lol:

By far the worst job so far has bee putting up all the roof beams, Im very happy now they have all been done :USA:

DSC00451.jpg

Meanwhile the search for wood continues...

All aboard the Armchair Express... :D

DSC00441.jpg

You know that empty space i had in the Workshack...

Well it didn't stay empty for long..

DSC00449.jpg

Rob came over yesterday to give me a hand. :lol: Rob :omg:

DSC00454.jpg

Guess who got to fit in this small and cluttered space to fix the boards to the frame...

Yep, it was me :D

DSC00458.jpg

A view of the inside of the back wall..

You see that window.. It will be pulled out and the space opened up for a walkway through.

It will only be at that point will i know how much lower the floor level of the extension will be.. 4-6 inches at a guess :banghead:

DSC00457.jpg

The windows new home will be here :thumbs:

DSC00460.jpg

And that's the extension news up to date...

Im feeling a bit too old and shaky to get any more done today, but tomorrow's not that far away :D :(

BairleaFarm

Looks good. I guss youve got another day ar two before shes water tight

pond195520032003

Keep up the good work Ian :banghead: cant wait to see the finished extension :horseplay: :banana:

traktorkidd7/30/93

Thats going to turn out awesome....

Keep up the good work :banghead:

And I cant wait to see all the room your gonna have :USA:

Stigian

Looks good. I guss youve got another day ar two before shes water tight

Cheers David :banghead:

Its going to be another week or so before it's watertight. Got to make two doors, make another door fit (must of been having a bad tape measure day :( ), clad the roof, buy some roofing felt...

If all goes to plan I will be moving the window and moving Wifey's shed on the same day next week. That will make it watertight and secure :USA:

Keep up the good work Ian whtractor/thumbsup.gif cant wait to see the finished extension

:D Greg, that's 2 of us who can't wait to see it done :D

Thats going to turn out awesome....

Keep up the good work whtractor/thumbsup.gif

And I cant wait to see all the room your gonna have biggrin.gif

Cheers Chris :omg:

There wont be as much room as i would of liked to have, but i should be able to fit 3 WH's, a trailer, harrow and snowplow/blade :lol: in and still have room to move about :thumbs:

It's looking like it's going to be another warm-ish sunny day here today, perfect weather for getting more work done :lol: :D

BairleaFarm

There wont be as much room as i would of liked to have, but i should be able to fit 3 WH's, a trailer, harrow and snowplow/blade :omg: in and still have room to move about :banghead:

It's looking like it's going to be another warm-ish sunny day here today, perfect weather for getting more work done :USA::thumbs:

Is there ever enough room? I dont think so. its bigger than it appears if you can get all that in there. What the temp. there this time of year?

Stigian

Hi David, the weather is a bit up and down now summer is coming to an end :(

The average temp at the mo is about 18-20'c although Saturday it hit the 25'c mark with no wind at all!!

Yesterday was warm-ish, sunny-ish and very windy in the afternoon, today its heavy rain!!

Oh the joys of :D weather :(

Managed to get quite a bit done yesterday, a lot more than i thought would be done :omg:

A couple more boards went up above the double door opening and about the door opening to Wifeys office. A big thank you to my 312-8 at this point for helping me move some 8x4 boards :(

DSC00465.jpg

By this time the wind had started to blow in a strong sort of way, not the best of conditions for man handling big boards onto the roof by myself :(

Instead i heading into the workshack to start knocking up the double doors :thumbs:

This old workbench top takes me back a bit.. I knocked it up about 8 years ago, before i even moved here.. You could tell it was some of my older work by all the screws with slots in the heads, not crosses...

Anyway it was soon pulled apart for the planks B)

100_4442.jpg

Lots of measuring/looking at my badly drawn plans/ :banghead: ing/more measuring/ and cutting later one of the doors started to come to life..

It needs a few diagonal beams to stiffen it up a tad, but its a start.

DSC00468.jpg

It was about this time that Pete turned up.

:D for your help Pete :lol:

DSC00461.jpg

After a :D we thought we might as well have a bash at getting the first layer of

roofing board on B)

Once the second layer is on the edges will be trimmed to size and shape.

DSC00463.jpg

While i was up on the roof, i thought id take a photo of the field :omg:

DSC00464.jpg

A view from inside.. Just need a white ceiling with dark brown beams for that olde English look :D

DSC00466.jpg

Last photo for this update..

Hhhmmm... Something tells me that wall might not be straight :USA:

Its going to be fun cutting wood to fill in the gaps :)

Oh, and yes some beams will be fixed to the wall to help hold up that end of the roof

:D

DSC00467.jpg

That's all for now folks.

Catch you later, Im off to get the doors finished :lol:

BairleaFarm

Looking good and 68* this time of year is good working weather.

traktorkidd7/30/93

Progress is going along fast... :horseplay:

I know I wouldnt be able to wait and park one of my horses in that stable :banghead:

Stigian

I know the feeling Chris, but fingers crossed it wont be much longer before the WH's get parked in their new home :D

Well folk's, things have moved on with the shack's extension and i can see the end now.

Cant wait to finish the wood work and get back to my 314-8 6x6x6 project :omg:

So, what have i been doing you ask? Plenty is the answer :USA:

The roof panels have been trimmed to size and shape and bits of osb board have been cut and fitted in those awkward curved spaces where the new roof butts up against the old wall.

I was going to double skin the roof, but to be honest it feels strong enough with just the one skin and is more than solid enough to walk on, so the extra boards are going to be used to skin the floor instead :thumbs:

The roof has been covered up with a large tarp and some plastic sheeting which seems to be keeping the worst of the rain out for now :D

After some searching online (why do most big diy chain stores have rubbish websites :banghead: ) ive found some nice thick green mineral roofing felt at a good price, so picking up 6 rolls and some felt glue stuff tomorrow and Monday is booked in for getting the felt down as its due to be warm and no rain for a change :banana:

That's enough rambling on from me, time for some pictorial evidence that work has been happening :lol:

I think this was Monday, Garry taking his turn at cutting about 1/4 inch off Wifey's office door to make it fit..

DSC00469.jpg

After all that sawing we were so glad the door fitted :lol:

DSC00470.jpg

A view through the peep hole..

DSC00475.jpg

Moving on a bit this was how things looked at the end of play Tuesday.

Tarp on, both double doors on, window and end wall boarded up to keep the elements out :D

DSC00486.jpg

A view of the double doors from the inside, during a rare sunny moment :(

DSC00484.jpg

More to come in a mo, drink making time :banana: :(

Stigian

:D that's better :omg:

Fast forwarding to this morning, got a few bits done between rain showers while waiting for Garry to arrive (good chap Garry, he works strange shifts on the railway and then comes to help me after his shift :omg: ).

Not the best of photo's as most of the action is hidden under the tarp, but you can just make put the wooden drip lip above the doors. Also put a few strips of osb on the doors to keep the drafts out :thumbs:

100_4477.jpg

And onto today's main attraction... Window moving :horseplay: :(

With the glass taken out to find all the screws that hold the frame in place, Garry started to put the boot in :USA:

100_4464.jpg

You never know what you will find behind the walls :D:(

100_4465.jpg

But i was prepared for the worst :imstupid:

100_4466.jpg

To cut a long story short (well shorter) after lots of :banghead: , :D drinking, cutting and hammering the window was out :lol:

100_4468.jpg

A view through from the other side.

This is the best photo i could get with project 6x6x6 blocking the view.

100_4471.jpg

The window (or most of it) in its new place.

It's nice to finally get some light in there :lol:

100_4473.jpg

If you guys are like me (you have my sympathy :D ), your not keen on handling glass at the best of times.

With the rain starting to pour down we didn't fancy handling wet glass into place, so a board was quickly fixed over the hole.

At least i have one window for now :D

100_4478.jpg

That's it for now folks..

Tune back soon for tales of me sticking felt and myself (i expect) to the roof...