Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Camper pics

nylyon

I finally took the pictures off the camera of the truck and camper. Hard to see, but the truck is sitting in a dip, it sits perfectly level on level ground.

camp1.jpg

camp2.jpg

KyBlue

Looks Good Karl..

Hows it pull the camper? Good I hope!

nylyon

Pulls very easily, handles perfectly, more than enough power and gets pretty good milage towing (about 14 and change). Got that big diesel sound too!

Sparky

Looks good Karl. Kinda hard to picture a Durango hitched to a camper that size :whistle: .

Just got back from 9 days in Vermont and managed to get some pics of my GMC and camper. It only gets 9-10MPG towin the camper.

Took my wifes Durango also with the boat in tow. I dont want to tell you how much we spent on gas for 2 trucks both ways and a very thirsty boat B) !

Mike.......

PS... the truck with the canoe on it is my Dads Chevy diesel.

Camping2008003.jpg

Camping2008004.jpg

DMESS

Wow Karl, that looks like a lot of trailer length for the old Durango! I can see why you wanted to step up to a full size. I'm sure it's nice having more weight, and wheelbase in front of that camper. Not to mention, I imagine the Hemi didn't do quite as well on the fuel mileage.

We leave next Sunday for Ocean City MD. I'll be pulling my fathers 21RS Outback. A mere 5000 lbs or so with about 500 lb tongue weight which is a play toy for these trucks! I'm hoping for 16 MPG or so as long as I can keep the lead shoe out of the boost. B)

Duff

Coach and Mike, nice lookin' set-ups, guys! B)

Mike, what's the boat? B) Nice looking unit!

I've got an '04 Bayliner 185 I pull around with my F150 with a 5.4L TritonV8. The Bayliner is also thirsty with a 4.3 liter Chevy V6 pushing the Merc I/O set up.

We're taking a shorter vacation this year because of fuel......

Cheers!

Duff :whistle:

Sparky

Mike, what's the boat? B) Nice looking unit!

Duff :whistle:

Its a 1987 16' Crestliner Bowrider with a Johnson 115 V-4 two stroke. It has a 31 gallon built in tank but the gas gauge isnt working so I found my self mixing up 6 gallons of 2 stroke fuel every day of vacation and some days I mixed up a double batch to be sure I wouldnt run out in the middle of the lake. I ended up spending about $175 in gas for the week in the boat.

Mike...........

PS, sorry to get so far off topic Karl

nylyon

It's all on-topic in this area....

KyBlue

Karl I finally figured out whats missing on your truck... Clearance lights on the roof!!!

Not a hard thing to add, only about 100 bucks for the lights and the wiring harness, thou there are different harnesses depending on what interior options you have ( overhead console or not)

nylyon

Karl I finally figured out whats missing on your truck... Clearance lights on the roof!!!

YES EXACTLY! I have downloaded the instructions, know the part numbers, just need to get off mu butt and get it done! I am thinking that I need the FX4 stickers on the back as well. It does have the FX4 package, the PO removed the stickers.

KyBlue

You want OE lights, Clear ones or smoked ones??? Ive found em All... I can also put you in touch with a Ford Parts man that sells stuff at a pretty good discount price

DMESS

Just be sure to measure about 300 times before you drill 15 holes in your roof! Mine are about a half inch further back than factory. I went off of some web site directions even though we measured of the FIL's 350. B)

DMESS

Also, get a knockout tool for the larger center hole. It's 7/8" I think. Heck, I have it if you need it.

KyBlue

Theres some of the 'kits' that come with a template... Im doin a big of lookin to see if i can find the info for karl... I found em all for my truck when I got it, but dont have the spare $$ for it right now.. Stupid Tools! HAha

nylyon

Yeah, it does scare me to cut that many holes in the roof. I'm not sure why the original owner didn't get the lights, the truck has every other option except the lights (and sunroof which he said wasn't available at the time).

I understand that the harness is about $35 and the lights 6 or 7 bucks each. I'll get the FoMoCo parts instead of an aftermarket kit, I'm just funny that way.

Dustin, when I do this I may take you up on the punch tool the shipping back and forth is probably much less than buying a tool to use 5 times....

Rollerman

NIce looking rig Karl...that is a BIG camper & must have been a workout for the lil Dodge.

Looks like a fun way to spend time with the family too...without raceing. B)

I also lack the clearance lights on my SD & have been to chicken to add them....maybe this thread will give me the push...at the very worse I could have an SD with a "Targa" top like a Porche. B)

Mike your camper looks great too....& it was built just up the road. :whistle:

KyBlue

Karl, like I said above, just make sure you get the right harness for the lights. There are a couple different ones.

And of course we'll need pics of the install dont ya know!

DMESS

Karl, yes, the FoMoCo parts are actually pretty reasonable. I ended up having to splice my harness a little bit since the open slot in the right hand kick panel that is said to be for the light harness was already plugged with something else. Actually I had to put the + pin for the lights into the old harness and just splice the ground. No biggy. Worst part is loosening everything to be able to move the headliner around enough to access the backside. You can't pull it out, but you can shift it back and down enough to get to where you need.

It's funny, there are so many options on these truck (and the 08's are far worse) that finding exactly what you want is almost impossible if you are real picky. (and that's me B) ) I bought mine in the fall of 06' as a left over during the 0% hoopla. At that point it was really tough to find one equipped exactly the way I wanted PLUS in a color that satisfied. (I figured buying new it better be worth keeping for a LONG time!) I'd have taken a 250 shortbed but this 350 longbed is how it ended up. It has really been a blessing in disguise as the long bed has come in quite handy.

I've added a few things since I took the truck that was as close as I could find to what I wanted. I wanted the moonroof too, but just couldn't find the right truck. B) Most everything else I've been able to add. Had to have the 20" wheels and I thought my wife would kill me over that one! :whistle: I'd still like to add the mirrors and hooks from the factory chrome package at some point.

Before:

oldsd.jpg

After

superduty.jpg

Nick

Those are all some nice looking campers and tow rigs. B)

Thought I might mention another option for tire and wheel upgrades is moving up to 19.5s They are the heavy rated tires used on F-450 and larger trucks. The initial cost is fairly high but for someone that does a lot of heavy camper hauling or towing you will gain a heavy commercial rated tire with longer wear plus they do have some nice looking rims. The best tire price I found last year, with an aggressive tread design, was from Hankook at $200 each. The single wheel weight rating on the hankook 225/70 19.5 is a little over 3,600 pounds and diameter is 32.4".

This site sells 19.5 rims and has a nice photo section of customer rides.

Rickson truck

camper001.jpg

450013.jpg

DMESS

I'm running away with Karl's thread here I think. B)

Don't laugh at the fact that the truck is longer than the camper! B) It does have a queen bed slide in the back so it actually opens up to 27'. B) Kinda overkill considering it's usually pulled by a Sport Trac! :whistle:

SDOUTBK2.jpg

KyBlue

Im likin the international logo on the fender.. Looks Good!!

DMESS

Im likin the international logo on the fender.. Looks Good!!

Thanks! I always liked how the Dodge trucks have the Cummins logo, and I have no complaints with my International power! Funny the DMax guys never have.......Isuzu logos, LOL B)

Here's the link if anyone is interested in these.

Clickity Click!

KyBlue

Is that a actual emblem or is that just a printed decal??? I can get real Emblems @ the dealer next time im In there ( I pass it daily goin to work)

DMESS

These are a raised decal. I'm not sure any of the emblems are available in a size reasonable enough to work on the Super Duty. All the ones I've seen were HUGE, but it is certainly worth checking.

KyBlue

Ahhh itll be fun to piss off the parts dept mgr while i dig thru his collection of emblems and what not..

If you dont care, next time youve got the camera out...get me a close up of it??