Sign in to follow this  
kj4kicks

The new garage begins

kj4kicks

Well, sort of.... The existing garage has been too small for a long time. The addition measures 24x43. 2x6x10' walls should allow for alot of storage!

The foundation has been in place for 4 or 5 years now. It's time to make it happen, so here we go. Removed the 24' box truck, the boat, and the spare Buick, and put the FEL to work leveling the stone.

P7280344.JPG

P7310350.JPG

P7310352.JPG

P7310354.JPG

P7310357.JPG

P7310358.JPG

We should be ready to pour concrete right after the road trip, and get it under roof soon after that.

BairleaFarm

I only dream of a garage with a concrete floor. Maybe one day. Whats the pad gonna cost ya?

Nick

Great start on the garage and always good to see the loader hard at it. :whistle:

Whats the plan for the box truck? Paint it red, cut a larger rear door and haul the Horses? B)

T-Mo

Nick beat me to it - as I was thinking along the same lines as making that box truck a Wheel Horse hauler. It would be good for the "wagon train" runs. B)

And the spare Buick - does that mean there's another one. I like that style Buicks. :whistle:

perry

more storage is allways a good thing. :whistle:

im sure you have it allready full before its even built B)

CasualObserver

It's really funny (and scary sometimes) how much we think alike! I saw that potato chip truck and also thought.... hrrmmmm....Scratch-Head.gif that would make a pretty darn good tractor hauling truck! Room for a ship style hammock or flip down cot, tucked up the wall, and you've got an "all in one" show mobile! dontfeedmod.gif

kj4kicks

Hi Guys, David, not sure of the concrete cost until they're done pouring it, sorry.

As for the Bickel's truck, here's the story. My friend Charlie (the one that bought the 50 hour 520H) and I go to the Spring Carlisle car show every year. We used to have a pull behind camper that was, let's say "vintage". The wooden floor etc was getting to be beyond repair. The plan was to gut it, and transfer everything to the box truck. Of course, that never happened since somebody actually offered to buy the camper. So it became my storage bin for whatever didn't fit in the garage. It filled up fast !

It did run a few years ago, when it was parked next to the garage. It is in need of some minor state inspection work, and the chip company didn't want to spend the money. A new battery should be all it needs to get it running again.

It would probably make a nice horse hauler. The double doors on the back may be wide enough to get a tractor in, as long as it doesn't have a mower deck! Not sure I'd want to tackle the job of making a ramp door setup for it. It's just so much easier to hook up a trailer when needed. Then there's registration, insurance, yadda yadda, yadda....

It will probably get sold or parted out after the garage is done. Just the aluminum body should be worth a small fortune!

Slightly OT, but TMO, here's my first car, and I still have it!

Attached Image

post-12-1217606527.jpg

wh500special

Eldon,

Interesting saga of the potato (Or, per Dan Quayle, "potatoe") chip truck. I know a guy who bought an old Kas chip truck and cut the aluminum sides off to use as a floor in his Jonboat. A touch flimsy (thin), but worked well when backed up with expanded foam.

And, you DO have a boat...does it need a floor?

Speaking of horse haulers:

I had a chance last year to buy a beautiful 1948 IH KB5 (1.5 ton) grain truck with 22000 original miles from a friend back home. Fantastic rust-free original conditon from western Kansas (and it was RED). $1500 and it was ready to roll and needed NOTHING. Problem was it was too big to be registered as an antique vehicle in either IN or IL (I think the limit is like 11 kips gross) and it was big enough that it had to be DOT certified and registered. Big bucks. Only way around the high cost was to register it as a "Farm" truck..but I'm not a farmer. So, surprise surprise, I don't own it.

Same guy does have a KB6 (2 ton, 35k miles) though with a dump body and perhaps someday I can justify that one...Who doesn't need a dump truck?

Would rather have a Studebaker though...the whole South Bend connection.

Dad had a '70 Skylark like that. I can barely remember it from being a kid (or I remember pictures of it and "think" I remember it). He almost bought the GS version, but didn't like the estimated 8 mpg it got with that monster motor (455 cid?).

His car was a POS - very trouble prone. But talking to him I think it was his favorite car ever other than his '57 Chevy. When he traded the '70 on a new Buick (another Skylark) years later it was out on a test drive and stalled on a rail crossing. And, of course, you can guess how that story ends. Suffice to say, that was the end of that one. Sounds suspect to me and perhaps an insurance job...

Nice beginings of the garage. You're going to need more tractors. I know this guy who has some...

be safe on your road trip and if you for some reason get out to the Western part of IN you're welcome to stop in.

Steve

Stigian

Your soon fill it up with Wheel Horses you know Eldon B)B)

Just one question.............

Can you post me over a few of those long beams you have sitting around..

Im a few bits of wood short for my workshack extension :whistle: B)

Nick

Eldon, I assume your chip truck has a gas engine. We have talked about finding an old delivery truck with a 4BT Cummins diesel just to pull the engine for a swap into a Ford F-150 or F250. Should be able to get fairly good MPG and ok amount of power. If nothing else it would be a nice swap to try. That is if my mechanic brothers did all the work. B)

Steve,

I am surprised you would have that much trouble registering and licensing a 1.5 ton IH as an historical vehicle. I am sure i have seen many old semi trucks with an historical license although I know Indiana has quit different licensing rules than Ohio. I don't believe we have any weight limit on historical plates in Ohio. As far as GVW the only cutoff could be the CDL amount of 26,000 pounds and that might not apply to historical vehicles. Our 99 F-450, near 10K lbs curb weight and GVW of 16,000 pounds, needs only commercial plates/insurance but no DOT inspections. Then again in Ohio we do not even title trailers until they are 4,000 pounds but in Indiana you have to title tiny single axle trailers.

wh500special

Steve,

I am surprised you would have that much trouble registering and licensing a 1.5 ton IH as an historical vehicle.

Surprised me too since I have seen large stuff with antique plates. I think I oversimplified my explanation though...here's some more info that clouded things a little more:

I asked about the antique plates...I got different answers depending on who took the call, but the general consensus from the state police was that it can't be over 11000 gross pounds (I think it was 11k, but don't recall exactly). I figured since they enforce the law - not the BMV - it only made sense to avoid any potential problems. That was IN (where I live). In IL (could have titled to dad) antique plates were acceptable, but then the truck could ONLY be driven to/from exhibitions or for maintenance purposes.

The guy who owned them did not plate them and they never left his farm. He used them to haul firewood from the woods to the lot.

I think the truck's actual GVW was 17000 pounds the more I think about it. It was amazingly heavy for such a "small" vehicle. That 1.5 ton rating must be very conservative on those things.

Again, depending who I talked to determined whether it needed a DOT number and registration. The DOT people weren't sure and again, the BMV was ambiguous too. They all seemed to agree that IF I didn't actually haul anything other than antiques to/from a show it could probably go w/o the DOT cert. But, I know how it is having a pickup truck and trailer when the friends have none, and I knew the urge to put something it in from time to time (mulch, manure, etc.) would be too tough to pass up.

I think I sort of fell into a loophole of having a commercial sized vehicle but only using it for recreational purposes (I tried the RV plate thing too but that was a no-go). I probaby could have figured something out, but with so much contradictory info I didn't want the hassle of trying to explain away a fine or citation in the future OR run the risk of being able to register the thing this year but not next and then having to figure out what to do with it.

I am a worrier when it comes to doing things on the up and up. I even still worry about the 7000 pound plate on my 7700 lb GVW F-250...But i see lots of 1-tons with the same plate, so I figure there is more safety in numbers. I know when I lived in MO they made sure I used a 12k plate on my truck (higher cost of course). IN didn't seem to care and IL only had a "B"size class for pickups.

I think the moral of the story was that I asked too many questions and gave too much info to them. I should have walked in and said "I need plates for such and such.." instead of opening my own cans of worms. Once the doubt was in my head I couldn't commit.

The local BMV suggested I go the "farm" route since I live in a rural area. But that plate is supposed to be used only on vehicles registered to a working farm. Again, I don't farm (but live on ten acres and grow millions of dandelions) so I thought the safe bet was to avoid that. But, given all the farm plates I see at the IGA, the bank, McDonald's, and church perhaps I shouldn't be so worried...

I was disappointed. Especially since the wife had no objections (can you believe that?!?!). Was a great truck, and I still know where it is. Very nice shape and that little flathead straight six was the smoothest running engine I have ever seen short of a new Lexus (well B) ). The KB6 is nice too and I prefer the "older" styleing with the stand-alone headlamps instead of the ones integrated into the fenders of the KB5. Maybe someday...

Now, was the 4BT cummins the 4-cyl version of the straight six used in the Dodge pickup (among other applications?). If it was, I recall that when dad drove a chip truck in the summers (he ran vacation routes when the school season was on break) he had a Chevy 1-ton cube van that was repowered to a 4-cyl cummins when the original 6.2 detroit blew up. As I recall, top speed on flat ground with no wind was a blisterting 50 mph! But he did say it went a long time on a tank of diesel compared to the 6.2 (which was pretty frugal itself). If the engine in my F250 ever lets go - probably won't since I use it very little anymore - I'd love to investigate a diesel swap. Maybe the 4 would be the the ticket.

Sorry to hijack the thread...back the the regular programming:

Nice garage!

Steve