Sign in to follow this  
Forest Road

splitting wood

Forest Road

After two years we finally took a short video of my log splitter. It started out as a standard Northern Tool horizontal/verical splitter. I added larger wheels to bring it closer to my waist line. Then at my wifes request I fabbed an ez lift method. Thats when I came up with the truck crane and out riggers. A few hours welding and here we are. I find the 6 pulley block and tackle faster and far more cost effective than an electric winch. My 4 y/o son is safely out of the way during loading. And he loves working the lever.

Duff

Wow! Nice work, and it sure looks like the little fella has mastered the controls! Can't quite make it out from the camera angle, but did you also fab a "table" so that when you split a piece, the "free" half (the one you're not holding on to when it splits) stays up at splitter level rather than falling to the ground? One of the biggest challenges to my 61YO back aside from getting the chunk onto the splitter in the first place is having to lean down and pick up the "free" piece to resplit it. That's quite a set-up you've got, and if you were closer I'd offer darned good money to rent it!

Duff :thumbs: :thumbs:

KATO

VERY COOL !!

CRE1992

Looks like a good idea Kevin. Are those the logs that came from the tree that hit your house during Sandy?

I am thinking about splitting a lot of wood this summer.

Btw you might be able to get away sticking another hydraulic valve on there, and running it to the the lift cylinder and have your son operate the lift control after you get it hooked up to the log.

-Charles

• Like 1

decksetter

Great idea!

Coadster32

nice.

Kelly

Work smarter not harder, nice job.

krazy_horse

Very nice set-up. This will sure save your back. I know as I use to throw those rounds up on the splitter,now three back operations later..