Sign in to follow this  
DoctorHfuhruhurr

Naval Jelly for rust

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Has anyone used Naval Jelly for treating rust? All comments/opinions and bad jokes are welcome.

Thanks In Advance :smile:

rmaynard

Used it back in the 70's. Didn't work then, don't figure it will work any better now.

AMC RULES

Sucks! :handgestures-thumbdown: :handgestures-thumbdown:

Kelly

When I was a kid in the 70's and early 80's Mom used to use it but she always used steel wool with it, Later I know why she used steel wool it didn't do crap with out it, in fact steel wool and soap works as good, but it scratches.

zieg72
www.hi-litesolutions.com is a company we have been working with for cleaning and preparing steel and rusted surfaces prior to painting or body work. I have personally used their AC 10 on rust removal and have been impressed. This followed by the 4110 prior to paint. Everything is biodegradable and a very effective alternative to sandblasting.

squonk

If I get jelly in my navel my lab usually take care of it. :icecream:

Save Old Iron

In the spirit of "right tool for the right job", depends on your expectations. If you have heavy scale on the piece - no - the jelly won't be able to penetrate layers of scale to clean down to bare metal. Best to use mechanical means (knotted brush on grinder) to remove the scale first, then quick E-tank and possible surface conditioning with a phosphoric acid wash.

If you are looking for light surface rust removal, it will work. Naval jelly is gelled phosphoric acid. As an alternative, phosphoric acid in liquid form is available at Home Depot for about $15 a gallon and may prove to be a better choice if the workpiece can be held horizontal. The gel does provide some freedom to work in positions other than horizontal.

I have used the liquid form of this acid to finish prepping heavy duty metal shelving and was really impressed on well rustoleum professional primer held to the shelves - very high resistance to chipping, etc.