Sign in to follow this  
stevasaurus

GETTING READY FOR WINTER

stevasaurus

Has anybody heard what kind of winter we are supposed to have this year? I was looking at my evergreens and , because of the drought, there are no berries. We did a thread like this a couple of years ago and it turned out pretty good. Just wondering if any one has any idea. I will post pictures of the horses as I get them ready. :) I have not even heard if the natives are chopping wood like crazy yet. :bow-blue: :bow-blue: I used my snow blade more for moving leaves last year then I did for snow.

Kelly

I'm not ready at all, but have been thinking about the cumming snow/cold weather, most years it sneaks up on me, and I still have things to do that did not get done, and then it's a rush doing them.

JimD

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and predict that there will be cold, and snow.

snowplow.gif

snowplowing.gif

snowplow.jpg

• Like 3

Coadster32

I plan putting a tarp over my kids swing set this winter, and storing my tractor/blower under it for the winter. I'll post up pics when the time comes, but I'm hopefull I won't have to shovel snow to my woodpile this winter.

Jim....not sure where you come up with the pics, but... :ROTF:

squonk

I heard on ABC news last night a ferocious winter for the middle of the country to he northeast! :) :)

Sparky

I heard on ABC news last night a ferocious winter for the middle of the country to he northeast! :) :)

BUMMER!!

Mike.........

Jake Kuhn

I need to get the c120 going! And the black 401 will be the backup tractor this year. Jake

rmaynard

Don't know about your area, but here in central MD we had virtually NO acorns fall from our oak trees LAST YEAR, and we had maybe 3" of snow. Temperatures very rarely dipped below freezing. This year the acorns are huge, and they are falling like hail in the middle of a summer storm. Last time that happened, we had about 80" of snow. So based on that we are either going to have a bad winter, or the world is coming to an end. :hide:

JimD

Don't know about your area, but here in central MD we had virtually NO acorns fall from our oak trees LAST YEAR, and we had maybe 3" of snow. Temperatures very rarely dipped below freezing. This year the acorns are huge, and they are falling like hail in the middle of a summer storm. Last time that happened, we had about 80" of snow. So based on that we are either going to have a bad winter, or the world is coming to an end. :hide:

chickernlittle.jpgFor those who follow the Farmer's Almanac, here is a link to this year's volume.

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/2011/08/29/2012-us-winter-forecast/

varosd

Bob, just North of you;

While I'm re assembling the Parker sweeper for the annual leaf rodeo...I'm already thinking about the 2 arrows in my quiver

B-80 8-speed + 48 snow blade

520-H + 42 snow thrower or the other way around?

oh, I also only have 1 set of 85 pound wheel weights and 1 set of rubber tire chains

chains are for the 520, but the weights could be on the 520 or the B-80

Decisions decisions decisions! :occasion-xmas: :occasion-xmas: :occasion-snowman:

I'm gonna add a UHMW strip to the snow blade and the snowthrower feet

AMC RULES

Ditto...that's the word I heard too...FEROCIOUS! :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

post-3498-0-65533800-1348195479_thumb.jp

Shuboxlover

I'm actually hoping for HUGE amounts of snow this winter. One of the best Christmas's I had was a couple years ago when it started snowing on the evening of Dec. 23rd and snowed until the evening of the 25th (16" with 45-50mph winds) We (wife, both kids, and myself) got snowed in and absolutely couldn't go ANYWHERE even if we wanted to until the 28th. BEST CHRISTMAS EVER!!!!!!!!!

Plus, we REEEEEEEEEEEEEEALY need the moisture!!!

• Like 1

Terry M

Has anybody heard what kind of winter we are supposed to have this year? I was looking at my evergreens and , because of the drought, there are no berries. We did a thread like this a couple of years ago and it turned out pretty good. Just wondering if any one has any idea. I will post pictures of the horses as I get them ready. :) I have not even heard if the natives are chopping wood like crazy yet. :bow-blue: :bow-blue: I used my snow blade more for moving leaves last year then I did for snow.

Steve, I know its not brain science but the guy at our local nursery said that do to our dry summer(some places alot worse than others), to make sure you keep giving plants, trees and especially evergreens lots of drinks now,not later, so they have a good chance of surviving through the winter and looking good next spring. sounds simple but people sometimes forget.

Just my 2 cents :) by the way, I'm not looking forward to winter cuz I can't work and play with the tractors :banghead:

• Like 1

rmaynard

Well, if we do have a bad winter, my work will be at a snails pace, and I will have a lot of garage time to be working on my latest project. :silence:

Ken B

Very true about the acorns Bob. I have nothing but Oak trees in my neighborhood, they are EVERYWHERE! A few yrs. ago when we had all that snow the acorns falling would wake you up at night. When they fall on the roofs of the cheap steel sheds it makes a hell of a racket! I had to put moving blankets on my cars while parked in the driveway because the acorns were dinging the hell outta them. You almost had to wear a hard hat if you wanted to walk thru the yard if you didn't want to get plunked in the head. Last year no acorns, no snow. They are starting to fall now, matter of fact yesterday I was out in my yard and I got plunked right in the top of the head with one. I have a lot of fun out in the snow but at this point I only enjoy it on the week ends.

• Like 1

JimD

I have a lot of pin oaks around here and there's not much in the way of acorns falling yet. Doesn't look like there are many in the trees this year. Hopefully that means the snow will be light this year. :)

CasualObserver

For those who follow the Farmer's Almanac, here is a link to this year's volume.

http://www.farmersal...inter-forecast/

That's last year's page.

Here's the 2012-2013 winter page ----> http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/2012/08/26/will-winter-return-with-a-vengeance/

KATO

Not an expert of course but up here everything is 2-3 weeks ahead of normal.

humming birds are long gone, geese have been flocking up high and heading south for weeks now.

all small animals have been gathering food like crazy for weeks. other birds have been disappearing for several weeks.

Looks to me like it will be early, and perhaps alot of snow with very warm great lakes.

KEN

MaineDad

Tons of acorns up here in Maine too!

Jim_M

We had our first frost Tuesday night, it was spotty, but it got my pepper plants, and looks like we'll have another next week.

Last year the hornets built their nests 10 or 12 feet off the ground and we had very little snow. This year the hornet's nests are 30 to 40 feet off the ground. I'm predicting a lot of snow for us.

JimD

For those who follow the Farmer's Almanac, here is a link to this year's volume.

http://www.farmersal...inter-forecast/

That's last year's page.

Here's the 2012-2013 winter page ----> http://www.farmersal...th-a-vengeance/

Thanks Jason, I totally missed the 2011 reference in the listing and made the assumption it was for 12-13. :handgestures-salute: ;-)

1maidenfan

Lots of snow for us??? :woohoo::happy-jumpeveryone::party: :happy-wavemulticolor:

Fun Engineer

Bring it on. :woohoo: Can't wait.heater019.jpg

heater017.jpg

• Like 1

Fun Engineer

Keeping the tractor in shape. Too lazy to take the cab and snowblower off.

IMGP4636.jpg

• Like 2

whfan74

Whatever we are going to have.........I am not ready yet. Not even close and haven't even had a chance to think about it. Looks like I need to get 4 or 5 tractors ready. A couple at my place, a couple at dad's and possibly one at my grandmothers. Wow.......I need to buy more tractors!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1