Sign in to follow this  
varosd

Drywall experts

varosd

Finishing off the drywall in the garage, the builder just had to do 5/8 fire code drywall on the house side and celing. I need to put drywall on the remaining walls. Does it need to be 5/8 fire code drywall? Thanks in advance! :rolleyes:

Sparky

You only need the 5/8" rock on common walls/ceilings to the house. If its an outside wall you can use 1/2".

Mike............

JimD

If the contractor only put it on the house side wall and the ceiling , I would think 1/2 inch would be ok on the rest. However, if you're in doubt just ask your local building department. They could have codes in addition to national standards that need to be followed. :)

CRE1992

I am surprised it had to be fire rated. But if it is on an outside wall, and you are insulating the wall I would go with the thicker stuff. Helps it insulate a little better.

Duff

In a garage I would think the thicker 'rock would be a little more forgiving if something falls against or runs into it?

Duff :thumbs:

rmaynard

5/8" is difficult to handle by yourself. Check with your local building permits department and see what the actual code requirement is. 1/2" lightweight is super easy to handle. Use it if permitted. 5/8" fire-rated only needs to be used if the garage is attached to living quarters. Otherwise, anything can be used.

**The above info is based on the code in my area.

Zeek

I just did an addition to my garage last year and it's attached to my house. The codes person (York County - same as you) was very helpful.

According to the National Fire Protection Code (NFPC) you do not need 5/8" drywall if you do not have living space above the area you are finishing. My plan was approved with 1/2" on the ceiling and all walls. I only have attic space above my entire garage. If he had to do 5/8", that was probably a local rule :angry-extinguishflame:

This is what is required:

"The garage shall be separated from the residence and its attic area by not less than ½â€ gypsum board applied to the garage side. Garages beneath habitable rooms shall be separated from all habitable rooms above by not less than 5/8†Type X gypsum board or equivalent. Where the separation is a floor-ceiling assembly, the structure supporting the seperation shall also be protected by not less than ½â€ gypsum board or equivalent. (IRC sec. R309.2)

My addition was approved in Carroll Township. Type X drywall is fire resistant. I guess you are in Fairveiw or Newberry Township, but I doubt they vary. Most all follow the National Fire Protection Association code.

Coadster32

What you really need is a code expert for your area. Common sence points us to say 1/2" is fine, but sometimes the building inspector goes by the beat of his own drum and ignores even the local code. If you're getting it inspected, I'd ask him personally.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Sound advice Chris...the inspector is the one that gives you the OK. I have seen them get sticky on stuff that is cosmetic. :bow-blue:

Zeek

What you really need is a code expert for your area. Common sence points us to say 1/2" is fine, but sometimes the building inspector goes by the beat of his own drum and ignores even the local code. If you're getting it inspected, I'd ask him personally.

Roger that . . . the guy that signs is the one that says . . .

6wheeler

I am putting white steel sheeting in mine (its detached). That way, it will be brighter inside. And, I suck at taping and sanding. Plus, it will have added noise enhancement. That way, when I drop a wrench and can't reach it , I can swear and even the neighbors will know it. Plus, I will get that wonderful echo effect, so it will sound like there are 2 people in there when I am talking to myself and my wife won't think I'm losing it. Hmmm :eusa-think: , it may be too late for that

varosd

Thanks everyone. still trying to get in contact with the Fairview Twp folks, might just have to drop in instead of calling

KC9KAS

5/8" drywall is used on ceiling even if fire code DOES NOT require it if the ceiling joists are on 24" centers.....1/2" tends to sag.

shorts

typically 5/8 is required for the ceiling and common wall to protect the living space from fire. the exterior walls can be covered with 1/2 lite weight drywall or any other sheeting of your choice, think about 1/2'' OSB so you can hang stuff where ever you want. If you decide to use sheetrock hang it vertical so that you don't have to finish butt end seams.