Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

Pulling the big tractor

Kelly

Last weekend we took the Farmall to a local tractor pull, it was a dead weight pull, you only have to pull the sled I think it was 10' but I tell you what as they added weight to the sled it got very hard, lining up your tractor for the hook made a big difference in how well it pulled, we were going to all use the Farmall but they said only 2 drivers per tractor, so me and my oldest Nick pulled the Farmall, my Daughter Hunter pulled a friends Minneapolis Moline, and Ryan who can't reach the foot clutch on the Farmall yet pulled a big MM, with a hand clutch, in some of the pics when he is pulling you can only see his hat over the fenders, he had to stand up to drive it around the pits and to hook it up on the track, he has pulled this one a few times at other pulls and is getting pretty good at it, the Farmall went on a diet the day before we pulled the HYD pump and few other items to make the tractor lighter, we weighed it the day before at 3900lbs with no driver, as we pulled parts we weighed each part and we took off about 200lbs then we found out the weight classes are 2500, 3500, 4500 and up with driver, so we had to put weights on it to make it up to the 4500lb class with driver, dead weight pulls are fun you get to pull and pull as they add weight, till you can't pull any more, I found out the Farmall needs more HP the stock 24hp is not enough, I pulled a friends MM the one Hunter pulled in the 5500lb class we had weights hanging off everything we could find to make it weigh that much, but it had a 34hp engine and pulled very well, but in the end we all had fun, but I can tell you weighting up tractors sucks, moving 75lb and 100lb weights as fast as you can from one tractor to another to make the next class at 1000lbs between classes. we plan to pull more this fall, a family that plays together stays together, and we play hard.

Me pulling the H for the first time

post-85-0-55313300-1346594267_thumb.jpg

My little girl pulling a MM

post-85-0-88432500-1346594791_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-33424400-1346595041_thumb.jpg

My oldest Nick pulling for the first time.

post-85-0-84085000-1346595207_thumb.jpg

My second hook.

post-85-0-98780900-1346595430_thumb.jpg

Nicks second hook

post-85-0-72848300-1346595554_thumb.jpg

Hunter with the sled getting full of weight, the sled empty weighed 1200lbs, each block was 500lbs, so there is about 9000lbs she is pulling here on a sticky clay track.

post-85-0-43803600-1346595707_thumb.jpg

Ryan my youngest pulling a big MM, this pic it to show him standing driving it up to hook up, during a pull you have to be seated, he has to watch the flag man and the ground he can't see over the hood sitting, but he does very well.

post-85-0-60211100-1346595813_thumb.jpg

Ryan, or the hat as the anouncer called him during a pull.

post-85-0-74272900-1346595951_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

AMC RULES

Really awesome picts Kelly. :)

squonk

At our steam show, Allis-Chalmers (or Alice -Chamblers as the craigslist people seem to call them :) ) seem to do very well. Some of them haven't seen paint in over 30 years.

Jake Kuhn

:text-coolphotos: Looks like lots of fun!

perry

great new hobby for you guys . was glad i could see the kids pull for the first time in charlotte. they looked like they were really haveing a blast.

perry

I think the picture taker needs to get out there and pull :banana-rock:

Kelly

I think the wife will be pulling as soon as I get the seat swapped out, she took it for spin down the road last week.

whc160

Great pics Kelly!

When my wife & I were dating her family used to pull. Dead weight & transfor sled. It was a great time. Then got married & the kids started coming along. So we stopped pulling. Now her middle brother has a 1206 Farmall classic super farm stock tractor he pulls. My wife still has her tractor in her Dad's barn. (Allis-Chalmers CA) When our boys are old enough I want to start up again. Great fun for the whole family.

We also bilt a dead weight sled for the Vintage Garden Tractor Show we have here in town. I will have to see if I can find some pics to post. We had a 16hp Gravely pull 3000lbs this year.

diesel cowboy

Cool. Great pics. If you want to up the horse power I belive you can put a set of pistons, sleaves, and rods from a farmall Super H, 300 or 350 in it. And add the carb from it as well because its bigger. The h is 152ci, the super h is 164ci and the 300/350 is 175ci. I did this when I was rebuilding the engine in my super h because I couldnt find a rebuild set for it.

Kelly

Yup the plan is all 350 engine parts with a propane intake they flow better, when I have the money to spend on it, I've built a few race car engines and I know this is not a RPM engine as peak power is at about 1700rpm, but basic stuff should apply, but it looks like with machine work and parts about $1000 to do what I want to it, so for now stock is fine, and they can get used to pulling with it, I'll buy parts as I can aford them till I have everything.

Kelly

We can't do sat pulls this time of year my sons football games are sat. and we have to much invested in that, for him to miss any games, they only play 7 games a year, but we might be going to a pull the 9th near here in Eagle, MI, but it is good to know there are more close by, thanks Kerry

SousaKerry

The big tractors pull first usually done by noon

Zeek

Nice pics you lucky bum :handgestures-thumbup: If I only had the room for a full size tractor . . . :?

shallowwatersailor

Great shots! Looked like a lot of fun - especially "The Hat."

AMC RULES

That reminds me, the wife wants me to make a puller out of our big tractor too. :)

post-3498-0-45402000-1346808958_thumb.jp

Jake Kuhn

That reminds me, the wife wants me to make a puller out of our big tractor too. :)

OK, how did you do that? :) :scratchead:

AMC RULES

Patience, and a sense of humor Jake. :ychain:

post-3498-0-41970500-1346925627_thumb.jp