Sign in to follow this  
GlenPettit

Big Boys' Little Trains

AMC RULES

You're right, that is pretty neat. :)

I think all the tractor hobby is missing is the cool sountrack to accompany all of of our great :wh: images.

1maidenfan

Wow those are cool ! :woohoo: Like to have one with track to crooze the property. :techie-eureka: :eusa-think:

SousaKerry

I used to think about building one of these beauties all the time each one represents thousands of hours of machining not to mention boiler certifications hyro tests and tons of money....

That geared shay unit is amazing

smoreau

There's a LOT more to that hobby then meets the eye!! Like Sousakerry2 said, There's all sorts of tests that those little steamers need to go through and they all have to be certified to be able to run. Also the operator needs to be certified also! Both are not easy tasks to finish! There's A LOT of money in that video! I have been to one of those down in Florida and they are a sight to see for sure! If you ever get to see them up close, you will be truly amazed by the attention to detail and how it all works! These guys have more into them then most have into a HOUSE! But its a labor of love and thats what they like to do like us!

shallowwatersailor

After moving to Maryland and being a rail fan and modeler most of my life, I finally had enough room (2 acres) to build an outdoor railroad. Back in Chicago, I had a few friends that were owners who were anxious to get me started. There are different track gauges which enter into the mix as well 7 1/4" vs. 7 1/2"). One gauge is popular in the east and the other in the west. I did some preliminary pricing and the initial investment for just a simple small gas engine and car with about 100 feet of track is around $3,500. Add to this the man-hours for building the equipment, clearing and grading the right-of-way along with a tractor with a FEL :) (required) it starts to add up. There is also the resale value on the property as it really becomes an almost permanent fixture. The real downside was losing the boss's vote.

I do have it planned though to circle up and around the property and even cross the driveway with crossing signals. But I doubt that I will ever get to it. Nice to dream though!