Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

6500w Generator Questions

mattd860

I have a 6500 running watt / 8500 max generator that outputs 120 & 250 volts. However, on the 240v side, the voltage is 252 volts and 69hz with or without load. Isn't this too high? Don't I run the risk of burning out electronics with the Hz running so high???

Generator in question is a Generac Mega force 6500 with a 13hp air cooled motor.

SousaKerry

Sounds like the governor is set a bit high. I would not worry as much about electronics but your electric motors will run faster then normal and will heat up if not inverter duty rated(most non industrial motors are not)

mattd860

Yeah it's stuff like my well pump, large appliances, and furnace that I'm worried about. I doubt any of those are inverter duty rated.

CRE1992

you also do not want to run any electronics such as computers or cell phones on one that has a varying or high frequency as well as higher voltage

mattd860

Well I ran my whole house for a week last August on this generator. So far my TVs, computers, and cell phones still work......

Forest Road

My neighbor has hid generac calibrated annually for this very reason. The first genie was no good and returned to generac. If its relatively new id contact generac. Good luck.