Sign in to follow this  
wheeledhorseman

Any old iron? Another haul and a 316-8 in the stable.

wheeledhorseman

Back in March I brought back my first ever haul that was purely for parts – a 210-4 minus engine which had been cut out of the chassis and a deck where even the welded repairs had rotted out.

gallery_4509_115_90537.jpg

Despite its overall condition, the seat on the 210 was like new and made its way straight over to the ‘D’ along with some other bits – such is the universal nature of many WH parts. The tyres were excellent, the deck hanging frame found its way onto a NOS 500 series deck so that it can be used with the D-200, and the deck spindles were good enough to clean up and put on the shelf as well. There were also loads of useful nuts bolts, springs, pulleys, brackets and imperial stock for project use and the gas tank has found its way to Ian’s 6x6 project. So when all’s said and done it was a pretty good £64 deal.

The down side of going for hauls like this is that it takes most of a day and you’re lucky to see much change from £50 in gas but never the less I set off again yesterday morning heading for a couple of locations in East Sussex to pick up a tractor with deck and another deck for spares. Ended up coming back with an unexpected extra on board as well.

gallery_4509_115_42395.jpg

The deck was for a vertical shaft tractor so I was after it as a future spares donor for one on my 227-5. It turned out that the shell is pretty good with only one rust hole and no welding or cracks so it might even get refurbished if I ever get the time. The guy then showed me a B-165 (or at least most of one), an abandoned project languishing under a tree. The original tranny had been replaced with a different peerless unit but by the look of things it started getting too complicated to rig up the drive belt system, gear change etc. What I saw in it was four good tyres and a complete Briggs 16 HP twin as spare for my 216-5 plus lots of other useful bits so for £50 I took it away.

gallery_4509_115_141777.jpg

I don’t know why but I’m not that much taken by the black hoods whether vertical or horizontal shaft but I can now say I’ve owned one; lots of useful parts in them though (for me at least)!

And so to the main part of the haul – a very tatty looking 316-8 with one eye, a smiley face, quite a bit of rust here and there, bald front tyres and a 42†RD deck.

gallery_4509_115_284221.jpg

I’d based my bid on its value to me for spares but appearances can be deceptive! The engine’s running a tad rich but the Onan starts ‘on the button’, sounds really ‘sweet’ with no smoke or worrying noises. Gears all work, even the ‘idiot lite’ panel is fully functional! The deck has no rust holes or welding – just a couple of stress fractures round one of the brackets.

gallery_4509_115_260737.jpg

I was told that the battery needed replacing but it turned out to be fine - the guy selling it hadn't worked out that the clutch has to be depressed to start it - a safety feature. Gave the whole thing a quick check over, put the deck belt on properly and tried it out. It goes – and it mows!

gallery_4509_115_223081.jpg

This is a ‘keeper’ so I’m spoilt for choice now when it comes to next winter’s resto project. :woohoo: Another horse in my stable! :)

The ID plate says its a B1-16O802 so according to Toro it's a 1989 model, one of the young ones in my herd.

Andy

AMC RULES

Looks like you've scored the mother lode there...well done.

neil

Congratulation Andy , it looks to be a real beast and will tidy up real nice

Stigian

Nice haul Andy :handgestures-thumbup:

meadowfield

yeah , nice haul ! dammit, looks like I'm lagging behind on the WH count ! :ychain:

best get looking....

Don1977

I believe you will find a miss alined front, to do that much polishing of the front tires. Most likly some ran in to some with a front wheel and bent a spindle.

Anglo Traction

Aahh!. Your 'WH Hoarding Habit' has materialised again Andy!. Impressive Haul there. Shame you passed this way quietly, I would've met up for a Beer at a suitable Watering Hole on your route (and/or given you a hand with it all).

That lot must have you 'Suited and Booted' for parts n bits for a loooooong time.

wheeledhorseman

Thanks for the reponses guys. In theory I already have enough horses to maintain and to do the work about the place that needs doing........but it doesn't work like that does it. :)

yeah , nice haul ! dammit, looks like I'm lagging behind on the WH count ! :ychain:

best get looking....

Yeah, any excuse for more will do! About a week ago my daughter returned from Uni to find three horses mowing the fields (my wife, son and yours truly enjoying some seat time in the sun). Not fair, she commented, I need a Wheel Horse. Now how could I let an opportunity like that go by? Actually, I'm not alone here, there's this guy I know of here in the UK who's being buying up horses for his children as well!

I'd hate to part out a tractor that could be saved which is why I'm still undecided as to what to do with an incomplete C-121 I got for parts but there's no guilt over the 210-4 and the B-165 which have well and truly had their day. The 316-8 was a bonus, I really expected it would turn out to be too far gone to be worth saving but I guess you get lucky sometimes.

I believe you will find a miss alined front, to do that much polishing of the front tires. Most likly some ran in to some with a front wheel and bent a spindle.

Thanks for your thoughts on the 'slicks' Don. The reason is I believe simpler than that. The guy I bought the tractor from does lawn mower racing. We had a chat about the subject and whereas vertical shaft tractors like the B-111 were traditionally very popular, there's now a shortage of cheap tractors and vertical engines here in the UK so in the main they're moving over to horizontal. He'd acquired the 316 with a view to converting it to race but decided it wasn't suitable. (way too heavy I guess) I think the front wheels and tyres must have been racing on another tractor but it must have been on tarmac rather than a field.

Aahh!. Your 'WH Hoarding Habit' has materialised again Andy!. Impressive Haul there. Shame you passed this way quietly, I would've met up for a Beer at a suitable Watering Hole on your route (and/or given you a hand with it all).

That lot must have you 'Suited and Booted' for parts n bits for a loooooong time.

Sorry about passing by quietly Richard :hide: it was a case of 'so near and yet so far'. The second pick up was at Horne just a few miles from you I guess but having done Plymouth and back the day before to collect the last of my daughter's stuff from the house she'd been in whilst at Uni there it was really a case of doing the haul as quickly as possible and get home again though It still took pretty much the whole day. There will be other opportunities I'm sure.

Andy

SNYFIX

Bent spindle and running on blacktop/concrete alot will wear tires down like that ----