Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

Outlaw cars

Kelly

I was working at home pulling a engine I had sold out of a car when my BIL called, asking what I was doing, I told him, and he asked if me and my youngest son Ryan wanted full access passes to a World of outlaw cars race, I said yes, I have never been to one but have been in aw of the cars and power for years, 900hp in a car that weights 1400lbs with driver, all on dirt!! 3/8 mile track and running 110 miles a hour sideways in the corners, and this event was all the big names from around the world, including the man to me that has been king Sammy Swindell, we had pit passes so we wandered the pits my son got a few autographs, and pictures, (he took just over 200 pics) it was a good time free food all you could eat, great racing (it is the only outlaw show in MI this year) even sat with a bunch of great people in the stands, by nights end we were all Friends, but the best part was watching my son enjoy the night, but I had fun also.

• Like 2

JimD

A special night for you and your son. How about some of those pics he took? :)

smoreau

Sounds like you had a great night Kelly! I got to see them around 1999, they are a sight to see for sure. Very fast and a lot of dirt flying at the start of each heat. Glad you guys had some fun!

AMC RULES

Umm...200 hundred picts, 900hp...Kelly?

:wwp:

Kelly

Scott, the dirt was flying for sure, if you looked up in the sky, you could see a mini tornado above the track, at the end of the feature heat 29 cars 35 laps, there was more dirt in the air than on the ground, we were lucky a nice wind at our backs kept most of the dirt off us, the pics Ryan took are on his I pod we will down load them later today, he even has a vid clip but it is nothing compaired to being there, the thunder of the engines in your chest, the smell of burnt fuel, the feel of the energy in the air, and the dirt on your skin, a video can not capture that, if your into circle track racing I recomend a event like this, at least once in your life.

bowtiebutler956

Kelly, that sounds like fun, and good memories! :woohoo: I remember the first time I took my oldest son to see the jet cars race, and the jet truck, there is just something about an 18 wheeler with jet engines strapped to it that just does something for ya! :scared-eek: He still talks about it! Those are the kind of memories that last a life time. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

squonk

I went to a World of Outlaws race about 35 yrs ago. Slingin Sammy and Steve Kinser. We left home at midnight Friday night for Dover for the then Winston Cup race. Got to Dover, Watched qualifying, watched the then sportsman race, Drove to N.J. watched the Outlaws, went back to Dover,slept, got up Sunday and watched the Winston Cup and then drove home! :jaw:

SousaKerry

What track was that at kelly

Kelly

It was a at I-96 speedway near Iona MI.

Brrly1

Kelly, sounds like a good time for all. I used to visit Knoxville,Ia quite often. Home of the Outlaws.It was about 35 miles from where I grew up. Lets see if you remember this name, Doug Wolfgang, he was an Outlaw Champ several times over.

squonk

I forgot about Wolfie! :bow-blue: He was at that race I was too. They are crazy!! One of them kept hitting a rut in a turn on purpose. He would hit it and the car would jump ahead into the next lane in front of the car that was just beside him! :scared-eek:

Kelly

Here is a few pics my son took with his I pod, the track pics are dark so I'm no posting them, but these are just a few cars we seen, and him standing next to Slammin Sammys car, and one car that got wrecked before the race started when the track push truck drove up over the rear tire and all down the side of the car, I thought the driver was going to drag the truck driver out of the window of the truck, but the car went on to set a new track record at 111.6 mph, we went back in the pits and watched them rebuild the car, the team next to them helped the whole time putting new parts on the car, well here is a few pics

post-85-0-96051700-1338857788_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-94925600-1338857859_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-44506600-1338857898_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-65232100-1338857930_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-59360400-1338857961_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-17302100-1338857992_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-92339600-1338858030_thumb.jpg

AMC RULES

:text-coolphotos: :thanks: :thumbs:

312Hydro

:text-yeahthat: :text-coolphotos:

mowerman1193

My dad took me to one of those races several years ago. I remembered the race but wasn't very old. And I aways wondered where that was at. I bet it was this track that you went to.

Kevin