Sign in to follow this  
BairleaFarm

Tires

Mith

Antifreeze and WW washer fluid have anti corrosive properties, so your rims wont rust out in a lifetime.

Easiest way to break a bead it get 3 bits of 1.5" angle about 2" long, round off the corners and drive them with a hammer down the edge of the rim against the tyre, knocks it right off. Or those of us with loaders see the pic at the bottom.

Another one is a slide hammer with a flat blade that you hammer in down the side of the rim.

Big screwdrivers work for getting the tyre off. Its mostly in the techniques, you want to start at one side of the tyre and work round.

I've not ever used a tool to take tyres off, so I dont know how they work. However, it only takes a couple minutes to do with the angle iron and screwdrivers/levers.

As to fitting loaded tyres, you dont need to lift them. Use a jack to line up the lug bolts. On some of my tyres you cant lift them anyway. No need to put fingers in any place where they can get squashed if you use a jack.

If you want pain, try seating a bead with your finger tips inbetween the tyre and the rim, then breaking the bead with one hand to get them out B)

You wont notice the sloshing with liquid loaded tyres. Fill them with the valve in the 12:00 position, 75% full is about perfect. Enough air to keep a bit of spring in the tyres.

I've broken the beads and reseated them on 5 tyres just today. Fitted some tubes and kevlar liners.

Probably the hardest pair of tyres was the 26x12x12 8 ply. Did them on a cold day, boy were they tight. Amazing how much easier they are when they are warm. They have 70lbs of fluid in each, total weight of tyre ballest and rim is about 120lbs each.

04-09-07_1416.jpg

Curmudgeon

I haven't been on my B) lately about fluid filled tires, but I consider them bad bad bad, regardless of what's in them. Sooner or later, you'll fill your tire gauge and ruin it. You'll develop a leak, and leave little dead spots all over your yard. Non-corrosive just means it won't rust QUITE as bad, but it will unless you fill them with oil. Fill them too full, and you'll end up with a rough ride because there is no air space left. The list could go on and on.

Will all of these apply? Nope, but sooner or later, one of them will and you'll be sorry. Might take years, but it's coming. My opinion such as it is.

I've used that elcheapo tire changer from Harbor Freight for years. Get some real tire irons, you'll be amazed at how MUCH BETTER they work than screwdrivers. There is getting the job done, and there is getting it done in the easiest way possible, with the least likelihood of pinching a tube (if you run them) or marring up the wheels.

Never had a tire yet I couldn't break the bead with it either. Granted, some took some swearing and good bit of effort, but it got the job done. My only complaint? Well, the center bolt in mine is now kinda bent, but it still works. I just clamp it in the bench top vise when I use it, hang it from the ceiling out of the way when I'm not.

BairleaFarm

You cant fill them with oil, it will eat up the tire.

Sparky

I use the Mini Tire changer from Harbor Freight as well and have done probably 40 tire swaps with it. Like Dale I mount it in a vise and have had great luck with it.

If I remember right it was about $40, four or five years ago when I got it.

The 12" rims are real easy but the 8" rims require some grunting and swearing, but I allways win.

Mike.............

Curmudgeon

You cant fill them with oil, it will eat up the tire.

Guess you have a choice then, rot the wheel or rot the tires... B)

Sparky

I'm also not a big fan of fluid filled tires. Read this to see what I do,

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=551&hl=

I just set up some on my 416-H which will be my sno-blower tractor this winter.

Mike...............

Curmudgeon

I don't have a thread dedicated to them, but here are my barbell weights installed:

6.074168.jpg

I think they look right handsome on there.

I also have them on Tall Girl:

TGDone3-30.jpg

Only they are hidden behind the hub caps!!!!! Well, except for the inside front ones that is.. B)

Nick

I've never been real fond of fluid for weight either. Though a lot of people do like to use it and can get years of use without problems. :whistle:

Today Ive broken down 4 old Firestone 5-12 tires that were all filled to the top with fluid. Thats even after 2 of them went from seeping to driping fluid on the things I had stored under them. I was surprised the rims are still solid and the rust hasnt gone too deap yet. They didnt come aprt to bad but the real fun is draining that fluid. B)

My high tech tire tools and the slightly rusted rims after washing off the fluid.

th_fluidtires007.jpg

th_fluidtires002.jpg

th_fluidtires001.jpg

Curmudgeon

You're lucky Nick, I've had to scrap more than one wheel that had fluid in it over time..... Wonder if maybe that's why I'm adamant about it. Junked wheels, my brother/s Snap On air gauge got ruined when he checked the air for me one day when he had borrowed a tractor of mine...

Yes, folks, been down the fluid route, that's why I dislike it so much! LOL