Sign in to follow this  
BairleaFarm

Tires

BairleaFarm

Lets talk about tires for a topic or two.

1. How bad do you let tires get before you get rid of them?

2. Do youmount - dismount your own tires or take them some where?

3. Do you replace tires or tube them to extend the life?

4. Do you use a liquid inside the tires? if so is it for weight or to seal?

5. How do you get the liquid in there? how do you get it out?

Mith

1, until the lack of grip is noticeable. On hard stuff thats until they are slick, on the mud when the tread is about half worn.

2, yes, I do them all myself

3, I tube them if they leak air if the tread is still good. The tyres on the commando are 40 years old with good tread, but need tubes to hold air.

4, liquid for weight, straight water or water/antifreeze mix.

5, put it in using a long tube and a funnel connected to the valve. Take it out by taking the valve core out and letting it run out.

Rollerman

I normally replace them when I can see the air on the inside....or it takes more than duct tape to keep the tupes in. B)

Really I have found enough parts tractors that I have a good stock of vintage tires in decent shape for the old ones.

However I am keeping my eye's open for a good B F Goodrich Silverstone in 6X12 turf.

My newer tractors I watch for sales or speacials to upgrade to ags or better fronts & have bought a portable tire dismount/mount tool to do my own.

As far as liquid goes....if it's a tubeless & I feel the need I'll crack the bead in one spot & pour in windsheild wiper fluid for weight.

Currently I am useing wheel weights on everything...I like them better & almost lost a finger takeing a filled tire off when it pinned it between the hub & rim.

BairleaFarm

I tried dismounting one today but did nothing but tear the tube putting the tire back together. Arent you all afraid the liquid will rust the rims?

Rollerman

Tires & tubes can get pretty brittle & dried out after a few years...also the tubes tend to stick to the inside of the rims.

Have to be carefull, take your time & they can't all be saved.

Liquid in a tubeless will rust.

Wheel weights are cheaper in the long run.....but if you have a decent set of used tires around filling with liquid is a cheap alternative.

I guess I like the wheel weights as the innertia of the weight will stop when the wheel has stopped.

Liquid filled tires can get funky sometimes when the liquid sloshes about & move the tractor after the wheel has stopped.

kpinnc

Also, even if you managed to fill "tubed" tires with any type of fluid, The rims are still gonna rust. The tubes will sweat pretty bad...

In addition, a filled tire can really hurt you if you are mounting or dismounting the wheel. They are VERY heavy...

Kevin

BairleaFarm

They are VERY heavy...

Kevin

I know. The last tractor i bought i got a free set of drives. One was filled and one wasnt. I grapped the empty one and my brother grabbed the filled one. I didnt say anything and he thought i had been working out as easy as i tossed that tire around.

kpinnc

I didnt say anything and he thought i had been working out as easy as i tossed that tire around.

You should've said "Here, CATCH"! B)

You'd find out real quick if he was a "fight" or "flight" kinda fella....

Kevin

rocking 416

ive heard if you fill tire with winsheld washer solvent it wont rust.. is that true?

an ive broke down tires before , I think its a two man job B)

KyBlue

I pay one of our mechanics at work to do it For me... Easier to watch him fight with them than me! haha

Rollerman

ive heard if you fill tire with winsheld washer solvent it wont rust.. is that true?

I'm not sure about that....like Kevin mentioned any moisture within the tire will make it sweat.

The two tires I have here that are filled with washer fluid have not shown any signs of rusting yet either & have been sitting in a corner for a few years now too.

I have heard of another liquid called beat juice...don't know much more than that.

rocking 416

I think im going to try washer fluid . Wonder how bad it will slosh?? :horseplay:

Rollerman

I put six 1 gallon jugs in each 23X8.50 turfs I filled.

They were finger cutting heavy.

I really only noticed it plowing snow...seemed to feel the surge a few times when you stopped & started.

I've since been lucky to find a few sets of cast weights & don't use the washer fluid filled ones anymore.

I also have a set of rears that are filled with some kind of rubber B) ...they are still pliable but are very,very heavy.

More so than liquid filled tires & have no slosh.

sorekiwi

My newer tractors I watch for sales or speacials to upgrade to ags or better fronts & have bought a portable tire dismount/mount tool to do my own.

What brand of tire machine do you use Stephen?

A lot of guys on MTF seem to like the Horrible Freight one, but when I looked at it I thought it was a cheesy. Then I thought about building one, but never got round to it (story of my life...)

To get back on topic - I filled the rear (turf) tires on my B80 with windshield washer fluid last winter, and used chains. Huge improvement when plowing.

There is a commercial product made from Beet Juice called "Rimguard". It's heavier than water or anti-freeze type liquids. I chose washer fluid because it seemed to be the "cleanest" and most non-toxic of the readily available substances.

Rollerman

What brand of tire machine do you use Stephen?

A lot of guys on MTF seem to like the Horrible Freight one

I didn't want to fess up for buying an HF product from C$#*a...but you caught me.

It works well as long as it's anchored...other wise you like a dog chaseing it's tail.

Thanks for the correction on the "Beet Juice" too.

sorekiwi

It works well as long as it's anchored...other wise you like a dog chaseing it's tail.

I saw a picture of one bolted to a piece of square tube that the guy slid into the tow ball reciever on his truck. Seemed like a pretty good idea to me.

kpinnc

I've heard an easy way to break the bead on a set of wheels. I have NEVER done this, and am simply passing on something I heard. In other words, proceed at your own risk!!!!! B):whistle:B)B)

1- Remove the valve from the stem, lay the wheel down in the yard, and place a 3 foot section of 2x6 on the tire.

2- Place the 2x6 so it rests at the very edge of the rim, but so it does not touch it.

3- Drive your truck up onto the 2x6.

4- Repeat as neccesary...

Congratulations! Your now a member of the Redneck Tire Club!

Maybe I should've put this in the "jokes" section...

Kevin

T-Mo

...I like them better & almost lost a finger takeing a filled tire off when it pinned it between the hub & rim.

That wouldn't be when you were putting the weighted ags on the C125?

Nick

Hey Kevin, Few weeks ago we were trying to get some stubborn tires off and... my brother set the board on the tire then I drove up it with the truck while he used the BFH. :horseplay: Oh and they still didnt come off. Joke section? B) :whistle:

kpinnc

TT

The bead breaker we used when I was "still at home" was the bumper jack from one of my Dad's old cars.

Lay the tire on the garage floor and stick the foot plate of the bumper jack tight against the rim on the sidewall of the tire - instead of the garage floor. A few pumps of the handle usually produced good results. (the car is a 1960 Oldsmobile Super 88, so there was no danger of it lifting off the floor. B) )

Nick

Kevin, Yea the redneck drive on it tire removal system doesnt always work. But sounds like something from a redneck joke right up there with a 22 in the fuse block. B)

To me the scary but real redneck idea that works is mounting tires with starting fluid. Light it and BOOM the tire is mounted. B) My brother was a truck mechanic and mentioned that. I have yet to try that one. I guess I should add the same as Kevin if someone reads this and want to try it -- proceed at your own risk!!! :whistle: BOOM!!

combatmp29r

The bead breaker we used when I was "still at home" was the bumper jack from one of my Dad's old cars.

Lay the tire on the garage floor and stick the foot plate of the bumper jack tight against the rim on the sidewall of the tire - instead of the garage floor. A few pumps of the handle usually produced good results. (the car is a 1960 Oldsmobile Super 88, so there was no danger of it lifting off the floor. B) )

TT I've done basically the same thing only with a bottle jack and the rear hitch on the dump truck. Unfortunately I have picked up the 8600lb truck and not broke down a tire before :whistle: . Course it was a 9.50-16.5 ofor the same truck but still B)

TT

I am fortunate to say that the last tires I worked on were the front of the Gravely 408, and they are only 13 X 5.00 - 6. The vise on the corner of the table made an excellent bead breaker. :whistle:

The terrible thing about L&G tire changing is the proven fact that the smaller the tires, the harder they are to change. (unless they're on split rims. B) )

I always keep a bottle of liquid detergent (dishwashing soap) handy, and it gets applied liberally before I even attempt to remove the tire from the wheel.

Now all I need to do is break down and buy a good set of "irons". (been saying that for 20 years now. B) )

T-Mo

TT,

I still have a bumper jack just for that purpose. Unfortunately car makers are making it harder to use the bumper jacks. B) But, this method works great for breaking them down. Me and have been doing this for years and we learned it from my late father-in-law.